Author Topic: What happens to the stray bullets?  (Read 2130 times)

Fairchild

• View Profile
What happens to the stray bullets?
« on: August 04, 2008, 02:36:37 PM »
Someone mentioned them in another post and that made me wonder.
In all the online games of this I have played, with as many as 12 players in a ffa, how come I have never been tagged by a stray?

Do they disappear after 3k meters?

You would think that in all the furballs and all the pilots shooting everywhere, someone flying into it would get tagged.

Rainman

• Ace Raider Conscience
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 12:00:32 AM »
I don't know about the game but I always thought that the bullets had fuses, so that after a certain period in flight they would explode like flak. Otherwise they would simply pose a threat to any civillian vessels. In the mentality of the people who made the bullets for the vipers and other military crafts would have had to place fuses or else a dogfight would set all other squadrons in the area at risk of being hit by a stray bullet, in which one could destroy another viper or raptor. to avoid friendly fire, i think they are set to explode at a reasonable distance.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Enki

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 12:02:51 AM »
Big space, little bullet.  Not sure about game code specifics though.

David cgc

• View Profile
    • http://web.mac.com/david_of_mac/
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 01:13:57 AM »
My own experiments with Monty Pythoning (flying away of the battle at top speed and then turning the ship around while gliding to fire at the ships chasing me) indicate that bullets blink out of existence at either two or three thousand meters from the shooter's ship.
“Just as a fun exercise, imagine what a bunch of hot chicks would think if they were reading this thread over your shoulder. I like to do that from time to time.”
Samuel T. Cogley

wiley

• acme customer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 03:16:12 AM »
In the game, each weapon has a lifetime setting. I'm pretty sure this number corresponds to the length of time (game clock) that each round or missile is effective. It is entirely possible to be hit by stray rounds or friendly fire and in rare cases by your own fire.
Whoever said "It\'s not whether you win or lose" -- Probably lost!

Barid Bel Medar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 04:52:21 AM »
well, to be blunt and borrow from enki:  Space is big.  the threat of a stray bullet is pretty slim if you aren't statistically likely to be putting yourself in it's way.  And if the colonials are anything like real militaries, there's already a word forcivies who get in the way of stray bullets: collateral loss.  Now for game logic,  if theres 10 fighters in the air, and each one fires off 2,000 rounds, thats 20,000 objects to track.  now, while real life doesnt have a problem with 20,000+ objects, CPU's and RAM do.
Contrary to popular belief, the nuclear testing of the 60\'s was actually an effort to tan Kieth Richards

At the end of the universe, there will be only a luke warm and Kieth Richards

in a fight between Kieth Richards and Chuck Norris, Kieth will snort a line Chuck.

wiley

• acme customer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 06:09:00 AM »
Quote from: Barid Bel Medar;105473
well, to be blunt and borrow from enki:  Space is big.  the threat of a stray bullet is pretty slim if you aren't statistically likely to be putting yourself in it's way.  And if the colonials are anything like real militaries, there's already a word forcivies who get in the way of stray bullets: collateral loss.  Now for game logic,  if theres 10 fighters in the air, and each one fires off 2,000 rounds, thats 20,000 objects to track.  now, while real life doesnt have a problem with 20,000+ objects, CPU's and RAM do.

Yep in real life those rounds would probably travel forever until they hit something. In the game space they last about 2 seconds and magically disappear.
Whoever said "It\'s not whether you win or lose" -- Probably lost!

newman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 12:54:45 PM »
Quote from: wiley;105474
In the game space they last about 2 seconds and magically disappear.

Which is required or the game would unplayable. Every bullet is an entity the game needs to compute in real time. If they didn't disappear after a while, you would experience a constant FPS drain - the more people would shoot the slower the game would get. Imagine a large multiplayer session with everyone paintin' and sprayin' like crazy.. wouldn't take long for the game to slow down to a crawl.
Besides, we're talking about a really high, unnecessary level of realism. This is intended to be a fun space shooter.
You wanna get hit by a stray bullet, you should probably move to Iraq :)

Fairchild

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 01:54:10 PM »
I guess I was just thinking like in say falcon 3.0 and 4.0, even though the gun isn't in range, you can still lob off shots at the guy and have a chance of hitting.

So vipers have a 2500 range, raiders have a 3200 range. He can shoot first and hit first, but I too should have a chance spraying and praying to hit at the same range or further in a head to head. But the bullets dissappear before they have a chance to hit?

I understand the tracking issue but don't they move out of tracked space pretty quick?