Author Topic: Beyond the Red Line feature requests  (Read 70578 times)

Imperator

• Imperator has conquered!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cylonbase.com/
Beyond the Red Line feature requests
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2007, 04:29:43 PM »
Ensign after 2 months.....oo arr.
"Reality is Cylon technology obviously outstrips our own."

M-562

• callsign: slipstream
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2007, 04:36:44 PM »
I feel kinda crappy but anyways im a sarge in ~S9~ (not a BTRL clan)
and I only got 1 guys to command yippeeeh ! :( but who cares. If I get to be the Hero lol :naughty: nah just give me an assignment and i'll do my best to carry out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
to hell with those walkin toasters! :D :D

58th nukes for everyone. http://sloganizer.net

Carrie

• Silly
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2007, 05:37:22 PM »
Hmm... Is this a good sign, seeing a thread like this being posted? :)

I wouldn't expect a thread like this unless a lot of the 'base' coding was complete, and it was just down to adding the kind of fluff the people are wanting...

But then, maybe I'm just indulging in wishful thinking. :D

Imperator

• Imperator has conquered!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cylonbase.com/
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2007, 05:53:43 PM »
They're down to voice acting and some bug fixing if I'm not mistaken.

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/CHriSMesS/?action=view¤t=hvr_welcome.flv?t=1170015034

EDIT: Woops, looked at the post count and not the join date, my bad! :D
"Reality is Cylon technology obviously outstrips our own."

Carrie

• Silly
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2007, 06:03:15 PM »
Quote from: Imperator;57005
They're down to voice acting and some bug fixing if I'm not mistaken.

Woo! :) :) :) I'm looking very much forward to playing it :)

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2007, 06:18:08 PM »
We're asking about stuff for the full campaign since we'll have time to implement it before that is released.

The demo on the other hand is in a much better state.

Snagger

• View Profile
    • http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2007, 07:29:50 PM »
No new suggestions, just reiteration of a few good ones:

Fuel - I really like the idea of limited fuel - it means you can't afford slashing attacks and have to stay in the main fight.  It also means you have to be careful about your maneouvering and know when to disengage and run for home.  Perhaps disabling the fuel feature on the demo as there are no cap ships to refuel from would work, but other missions should be realistic.  1.5 hours' worth of fuel at full power is hopelessly over optimistic - modern fast jet aeroplanes deplete their entire fuel load after 10-15 minutes with afterburner engaged!

Views - I like the spring centred wide angle view that reacts to inertia.  I'd also like to remind the team of someone's previous thread about supporting VR goggles or systems like the Track IR.

Hand of God - its critical to include this mission for the historical campaign.  I understand your concerns about the tunnel being an insufficient challenge, but it was very confined, there were a lot of obstacles in there, some of which were moving, and Lee had to fly it very fast (for the game, you could reasonably place Centurions in the tunnel who shoot at you - smaller weapons, but you'd have to fly fast to avoid multiple hits and this increases the challenge).  Furthermore, to make the tunnel harder, its path could be randomly created by the computer to simulate the lack of intel and planning on Lee's flight.
something I do understand;)  : http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk

Unknown Target

• Bitchslapped by BTRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2007, 07:43:08 PM »
Snagger:

First idea: Possible, but only with afterburners at the moment. Fuel for normal throttle will require code changes (probably relatively minor).

Second idea: Very possible, somewhat likely to at least have a cockpit view and maybe something else ;)

HoG: The tunnel would take some doing. But the randomly generated bit is pretty much impossible.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 07:48:31 PM by Unknown Target »
If you want your bugs fixed and features added, you gotta get us coders! See the help wanted thread if you want to help out!

Carrie

• Silly
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2007, 10:04:49 PM »
Quote from: karajorma;57008
We're asking about stuff for the full campaign since we'll have time to implement it before that is released.

The demo on the other hand is in a much better state.

Good. I hope to see it, and play it, soon then. ;)

Roy Fokker

• Veritech Viper Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2007, 10:13:47 PM »
As for Hand of God, isn't it possible to force the player to take a particular route  over the asteroid's surface, as in, perhaps, putting missile batteries at the edges that shoot you down as soon as you try for a shortcut? It could be a rift that is unguarded by missiles, but loaded with turrets, kinda like the Base Star run in SW. You could make it so the point of the mission is not to find the way to destroy the refinery, because we already know how, but to get there in one piece by avoiding turret and Centurion fire during the asteroid and tunnel run, and also collisions. Meaning - it would require great skill just to get to the end of the tunnel to drop the bombs, which is cool by me.

saruman178

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2007, 12:31:42 AM »
Missile Batteries Would kind of ruin the feel of the mission. Making Scar impossible to detect would really make things interesting. But one would have to make the Map Small or make it so the enemy can't leave a certain area. Or better yet after leaving the vicinity of the asteroid become able to detect again.

The only way to make this works is to make a lot of obstacle inside the asteroid.

KypFisto

• Callsign: Gulo
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2007, 01:20:46 AM »
My only request would be for a non-necessary feature. In X-Wing Alliance I recall you could use the mouse to look around the cockpit. I don't expect such a thing to be possible on an entirely different engine, but if you guys don't mind looking into it I'd be happy enough.

Roy Fokker

• Veritech Viper Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2007, 01:29:55 AM »
Quote from: saruman178;57036
Missile Batteries Would kind of ruin the feel of the mission. Making Scar impossible to detect would really make things interesting. But one would have to make the Map Small or make it so the enemy can't leave a certain area. Or better yet after leaving the vicinity of the asteroid become able to detect again.

The only way to make this works is to make a lot of obstacle inside the asteroid.

What are we talking about here?

IIRC, in Hand of God, several Vipers are shot down by missiles.

Dukeman42

• The voice in your head
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2007, 04:44:16 AM »
Quote from: KypFisto;57038
My only request would be for a non-necessary feature. In X-Wing Alliance I recall you could use the mouse to look around the cockpit. I don't expect such a thing to be possible on an entirely different engine, but if you guys don't mind looking into it I'd be happy enough.

We're working on that, and then some...if things go the right way, enthusiast simmers will be especially pleased!;)

The Trivial Psychic

• New Build Snoop Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2007, 06:25:45 AM »
Quote from: karajorma;56869
Good stuff so far. Some of it gives me ideas :yes:

@ LindemHerz - Resupply Raptors and missions based on them would almost certainly be a part of the change. The game already has code for support ships. We'd need to fix this so that there was an option to prevent ammo being reloaded and subsystems repaired and instead have the fuel topped up. The idea has been brought up several times before but it wasn't the right time to get it implemented. But it's not the wrong time now and this is actually something I can hand over to a coder right now if someone is willing to implement it as they can work on FS2 data in order to get it working.

On the subject of support ships, I feel it is also necessary to once again bring up the idea of passive rearming.  This means that, a ship with a passive rearm flag, would need one or more dockpoints with "rearm" in their titles, and would be placed (say, if this is Galactica we're talking about) inside the flight pods.  Then, the code would be configured that if the player is within a certain radius of the dockpoint and a rearm is called, it automatically forces the AI to take control and dock the fighter to the dockpoint, followed by rearming, repairing, and refueling.  When its complete, the fighter is released from the dockpoint (more like jettisoned though) and ship control is returned to the player, who can now return to the fight.  As for the the AI using the passive docking, it would require approach paths that start outside the ship and guide the fighter to the dockpoint, much like bay paths.  There would also need to be code which handles for the AI, whether it choses to go with support ship rearm or base ship rearm, as well as code to handle the ambiguity that would occur if the player is within the critical radius, but a support ship is also close.  Needs to be able to tell the support ship to ignore the request if a cap-ship is within range.
Quote from: karajorma;56869

@ TP Independent Clusters and Swarms. Sounds good to me. Seems like something we could add to Backslashes multitargeting system. Have you brought this up with him?

I've only ever brought this up here..., so no, I haven't discussed with Backslash.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!