Author Topic: holy s***  (Read 17128 times)

Slycan

• View Profile
    • http://some-art.deviantart.com
holy s***
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2010, 05:53:59 PM »
Honestly i don't give a fuck how long it takes them to do the game so long as
A- I'm not dead before it get released
and 2-  doesn't suck.

If this makes this game any 'cooler' then by all means add it please.

Star Fox

• Arwing Ace
    • View Profile
holy s***
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2010, 06:06:59 PM »
Quote from: Slycan;130762
Honestly i don't give a fuck how long it takes them to do the game so long as
A- I'm not dead before it get released
and 2-  doesn't suck.

If this makes this game any 'cooler' then by all means add it please.

True.
"All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.
This is the truth! This is my belief!
...At least for now."

--"The Mystery of Life," vol. 841, chapter 26

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nbs Dark

• Airman
    • View Profile
holy s***
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2010, 09:49:17 PM »
I think it would be cool if you could interact with buildings. Example: Shoot a bomb at it and wach the building get anialated. It would be hard to make. (at least to my knowlege) And also it may interfere with the the games that take place later.
Perseverance is the mind\'s greatest weapon. Even if you are horrible at what you want to do. Stick with it.

The E

• His Majesty
    • View Profile
holy s***
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2010, 12:31:36 PM »
Quote from: Nbs Dark;130769
I think it would be cool if you could interact with buildings. Example: Shoot a bomb at it and wach the building get anialated. It would be hard to make. (at least to my knowlege) And also it may interfere with the the games that take place later.

Actually, that part is so easy to do, it's laughable.
Proud member of the Blue Planet, Project MULTI and FreeSpace Upgrade teams
Second-in-command of the HLP support ninjas.

dragonsniper

• Nuking a Sathana\'s
    • View Profile
holy s***
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2010, 02:01:03 PM »
Quote from: The E;130777
Actually, that part is so easy to do, it's laughable.
How so? Just assign the building an explosion.ani in some table somewhere?

The E

• His Majesty
    • View Profile
holy s***
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2010, 02:07:42 PM »
Nope. Since technically speaking, buildings are ships to the FSO engine, all you'd need to do is to make them targetable, assign them hitpoints, create damaged subsystems (Look at Esarai's Horizon, or the Faustus' rotating sections for examples), create debris, and there you go.

The damaged subsystems thing is optional, it can be used to simulate buildings that are only partially destroyed.

Through the use of campaign-persistant variables (or red-alert-carry, if you're feeling adventurous), you can do persistant damage.

dragonsniper

• Nuking a Sathana\'s
    • View Profile
holy s***
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2010, 02:12:23 PM »
Interesting. I forgot that when using a landscape for FSO, it basically counted as a ship in a way. It makes perfect sense, although, the explosions may not completely simulate the effect that you want (the explosion may be smaller than the building, or when the building explodes, you'd get the floating debris, which obviously wouldn't make sense if you were on the surface of a planet with gravity.)

The E

• His Majesty
    • View Profile
holy s***
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2010, 02:16:42 PM »
Well, you're right about the floating debris, but you can either leave that out or use the "vaporize completely" (or whatever it's called) flag in FRED.

As for the explosions, those are things you can adjust in testing (although I am unsure about the details right now); the point is, implementing a destroyable city is not that hard (just much work that you may decide is not worth it).

dragonsniper

• Nuking a Sathana\'s
    • View Profile
holy s***
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2010, 02:20:12 PM »
Quote from: The E;130784
Well, you're right about the floating debris, but you can either leave that out or use the "vaporize completely" (or whatever it's called) flag in FRED.

As for the explosions, those are things you can adjust in testing (although I am unsure about the details right now); the point is, implementing a destroyable city is not that hard (just much work that you may decide is not worth it).

Vaprize completely wouldn't work. Once the ship is destroyed, it compltely dissapears. Atleast it did when I last used it.

As for the explosions, your right that a lot of testing could fix it.

The E

• His Majesty
    • View Profile
holy s***
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2010, 02:30:23 PM »
Ah, but that's where destroyable subsystems come in. You can designate chunks of the building as destroyable, but untargetable. If you then shoot at those pieces, you can get damage effects quite cheaply.

So, to revise the system, you would give the buildings a high number of HP. Your building model would have to be rigged with destroyable subobjects to simulate damage. In the end, you wouldn't really be destroying the "building" as it appears in ships.tbl, you'd be destroying subobjects of that building.

Fox's_Feather

• StarFox Fan
    • View Profile
holy s***
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2010, 05:09:20 PM »
Still that looks like a lot of work and I don't think it will look THAT cool in the end. Not like the full HD special effects used in the destruction scene of 2012 on which 200 million dollars were spent.
And thats basically what he is asking for.

You'd mostly get partially destroyable landscape like in Red Faction. It's nice, but nothing to "WOAH!" about.

Speaking of partially destroyable landscapes, did you guys think about hidden power-ups in destroyable landscape sections? Just a random idea.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Star Fox

• Arwing Ace
    • View Profile
holy s***
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2010, 05:29:06 PM »
Like power-ups in asteroids?
"All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.
This is the truth! This is my belief!
...At least for now."

--"The Mystery of Life," vol. 841, chapter 26

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fox's_Feather

• StarFox Fan
    • View Profile
holy s***
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2010, 06:30:41 PM »
Yeah but not only asteroids here. Like mountain flanks or ice formations etc...
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

dragonsniper

• Nuking a Sathana\'s
    • View Profile
holy s***
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2010, 07:06:39 PM »
Quote from: Fox's_Feather;130790
Still that looks like a lot of work and I don't think it will look THAT cool in the end. Not like the full HD special effects used in the destruction scene of 2012 on which 200 million dollars were spent.
And thats basically what he is asking for.

You'd mostly get partially destroyable landscape like in Red Faction. It's nice, but nothing to "WOAH!" about.

Speaking of partially destroyable landscapes, did you guys think about hidden power-ups in destroyable landscape sections? Just a random idea.

Nothing will compete with 2012's special effects in the FSO engine for destructable buildings. Like you clearly said, 200 million went to the special effects. I doubt the SoL team can use that kind of money. :p

Ah, but that's where destroyable subsystems come in. You can designate chunks of the building as destroyable, but untargetable. If you then shoot at those pieces, you can get damage effects quite cheaply.

So, to revise the system, you would give the buildings a high number of HP. Your building model would have to be rigged with destroyable subobjects to simulate damage. In the end, you wouldn't really be destroying the "building" as it appears in ships.tbl, you'd be destroying subobjects of that building.
Jeeze, there's a lot I obviously know very little about in the FSO engine. :biggrin1: Once again though, it is intriguing. It sounds like a lot of time would have to go into it though (from a tabling perspective, a lot would.)

The E

• His Majesty
    • View Profile
holy s***
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2010, 08:36:40 PM »
Not as much as you'd think, really. The main effort would need to be spent on modelling, texturing and rigging (setting the model up after conversion); tabling is rather easy and straightforward compared to that.