Author Topic: ARWING Technical Operations Manual  (Read 43734 times)

General Battuta

• View Profile
ARWING Technical Operations Manual
« Reply #120 on: June 05, 2010, 11:49:59 PM »
Quote from: Scourge of Ages;131582
Speaking of reviving threads:

I was thinking about charge shots, here's my theory.
The charge shot is actually a small guided missile. It doesn't have a warhead, just a force field generator and guidance system. The charging process shunts plasma from the main gun into the force field generated by the missile. When you fire, the missile opens a small section of the force field to vent a little bit of the plasma to provide thrust.
Then, it guides the whole thing to the target by vectoring plasma through small openings in the force field.
When it hits the target (or gets close enough) the force field collapses and all the plasma explodes.

It makes a degree of sense, although it involves a lot of magic (force fields!), but it probably wouldn't do much damage compared to real-life weapons. Nondirectional plasma jets aren't likely to defeat or even significantly ablate much of anything.

Sgt. Hawk

• goes by Captin Aesome too
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 13, 2010, 02:00:15 AM »
Well how about for charge shots, since you have to stop fireing to charge it and cant shoot regular plasma (:blah: ) at the same time, that the singal fire green shot simply puts more plamsa together instead of the limited amount needed for a green shot. The result=kaboom? Still doesnt explain the homing feature. Come to think of it, how do smart bombs work? Since charge shots and SB's both have homing capabilities maby the work kinda the same?

Flaming Cobra

• Hasn\'t beat Gradius III
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=100001049449423
« Reply #122 on: July 24, 2010, 05:46:06 PM »
I hate to necrothread guys, but in Star Fox Command, slippy's ship (bullfrog) had a plasma laser. His ship was the only ship with a plasma laser. So that means all other ships in the star fox universe must have some other kind of weapon. Like a rail gun.
"If I have to write a research paper, do Calculus homework, complete WebAssigns for Chemistry, and read a bunch of chapters in For the Record and How the Other Half Lives, when am I going to find time to study for that exam next Tuesday?"

maxellwill

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 12, 2010, 09:18:10 AM »
Going back to the "Lasers vs Bullets" part, it was determined that both bullets and/or lasers could work. Right? And in typical forum fashion, some guy filled every gap with blinding logic and we all kinda went with it. But im determined to believe that they shoot lasers. And how do I back it up? Simple, most enemy ships probably have armor, or what ever you want to call it, thats too tough for bullets to penetrate or cause significant damage. Lasers would probably be more damaging with extreme heat. And as for space (assuming someone brings up the no-air-no-heat-in-space-thing) well ill leave someone else to finish that if they so choose.

Falco314

• That guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 12, 2010, 01:01:18 PM »
Oh god. Necrothread.
I see a little silhouette of a bot
Scaramouch, scaramouch, will you get out of this forum?
spamming and Advertising, very, very frightening me
Moderator, Moderator
WILL YOU BAN HIM PLEASE?

Fox_McCloud3232

• Ace texture replacer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.random-sauce3292.piczo.com
« Reply #125 on: October 12, 2010, 02:54:22 PM »
@ Falco At least he did it with a fair comment. something which remains to be seen for other newbies here.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
click here to see my brawler card (somehow it was deleted)

Why is it that the moment you stop looking for something, it suddenly turns up? well it\'s a law of nature. because nature hates you :lol: ~ Fox_McCloud3232

Flammenwerfer fox

• Professional scum hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 12, 2010, 03:22:15 PM »
Quote from: maxellwill;133817
Going back to the "Lasers vs Bullets" part, it was determined that both bullets and/or lasers could work. Right? And in typical forum fashion, some guy filled every gap with blinding logic and we all kinda went with it. But im determined to believe that they shoot lasers. And how do I back it up? Simple, most enemy ships probably have armor, or what ever you want to call it, thats too tough for bullets to penetrate or cause significant damage. Lasers would probably be more damaging with extreme heat. And as for space (assuming someone brings up the no-air-no-heat-in-space-thing) well ill leave someone else to finish that if they so choose.

Nope. Bullets can in fact do tremendous damage to armor. I think someone before me put eloquently just what type of ship you'd need to be TOTALLY bullet proof.

I think the developers just used what was prettiest: green and blue lasers.
Sometimes, knowing that you\'ve hurt someone is worse than punishment.

Brockenstein

• Of Danub!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://darkcosmos.external-logistics.com/
« Reply #127 on: October 12, 2010, 04:54:09 PM »
Quote from: Flammenwerfer fox;133825
I think the developers just used what was prettiest: green and blue lasers.

If you go back to old sci-fi's you won't see a tractor beam towing a ship. If you look at new ones you will see a big effect. There are several reasons for this. A) So people know what's going on with out a character having to say B) So if there are more than one ship on the screen you and see who is towing who C) it keeps the audience interested in whats going on in that space scene since they have something to focus on instead of just seeing two ships the see action being taken.

The same goes for lasers. Think about this if star wars didn't have green and red lasers what would those movies been like? Would you be as interested in them? Even in Battlestar Galactica they have tracer rounds on all the ships so you can see the bullets.

The thing you learn about film and this carries on to game design is that you want your audience to be interested in what's going on. If you have a long dialog scene you have on the characters having a conflict such as he can't open a jar during the whole conversation. It keeps the audience interested. Same applies for a space scene but instead you make things flashy. Add in lens flares, crazy glows, unrealistic explosions and red and green lasers. You will notice in movies that bullets spark off of all sorts of objects around the character in a fire fight. Again this keeps the audience interested and makes them feel the pressure that the character is feeling.

Point being, lets throw out the logic and make a good game!

Psygonis

• Psygonis, online!
    • View Profile
    • http://psygonis.deviantart.com
« Reply #128 on: October 12, 2010, 05:47:03 PM »
Completely agree!
Building a credible universe is cool, that's sci-fi after all... If you keep trying to find exactitude in sci-fi facts, you'll keep frustrating yourself, 'cause it's not meant to be exact, just nice-looking actually! ^^
In the Depths of Lylat, an old Planet is dying...
Forgotten for centuries in the History of Lylat, Taklys vanishes place after place, until no Life lasts anymore on it\'s surface...
Bannished by the Cornuseans milleniums ago, Cursed by the Wrath of Andross nowadays, some of the remaining Shadamars alive now stand up by the cornerian side to revenge!

Artworks: http://psygonis.deviantart.com

Andross

• All Powerful Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 13, 2010, 01:43:09 AM »
Furthermore, lasers safely place the game in a distant future/hi tech universe, where's if you use bullets, then an Arwing just becomes a jet plane.
THOSE TIN CANS ARE NO MATCH FOR ME!
-"The rule holds good in everything in life\'s uncertain fight; You\'ll find the winner can\'t go wrong, the loser can\'t go right.
You ride a slashing race, and lose - by one and all you\'re banned! Ride like a bag of flour, and win - they\'ll cheer you in the Stand."~Banjo Paterson

-"WE WILL BUILD A NEW STORE ROOM!!:hoppingma"~The ghost of Zen Tuo

Flammenwerfer fox

• Professional scum hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 13, 2010, 02:56:21 AM »
Quote from: Brockenstein;133830

Point being, lets throw out the logic and make a good game!

Amen! One of the things that made Star Wars awesome was that they almost never tried to explain how something works. You just saw it at work! Unlike Star Trek where you were often told how something works or given details about it without ever seeing it function.

@ Andross
Says who, monkey boy?
Sometimes, knowing that you\'ve hurt someone is worse than punishment.

zorro7

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 04, 2010, 01:51:00 AM »
thanks for the info
had a lot curiosudad on-propelled system
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 10:37:51 PM by zorro7 »

Scourge of Ages

• Professional lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 04, 2010, 03:27:21 AM »
I thought you spoke English, zorro?

I'm not saying you need to, it's just that a lot more people would be able to understand you better.
Come on you guys, join Hard-Light.net there\'s more awesome Freespace mods than you can shake a stick at!

Fox245

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 04, 2010, 06:43:22 AM »
Quote from: Flaming Cobra;127273
The problem with "Bullets" is that there is no oxygen in space. Bullets require combustion to fire. So, in order to fire conventional bullets, the Arwing would have to supply the weapons systems with oxygen from its oxygen tanks.

Also, you should go work for NASA.

This is incorrect.  Modern smokeless gunpowder (nitrocellulose) does not need atmospheric oxygen to combust becaue it reacts within itself: C24H30(NO2)10O20 → 12C02+ 12C0 +4H20 + 11H2 + 5N2.  Note that the only oxygen is that already contained in the nitrocellulose.  Even if external oxygen was required cartriges are airtight and would not be affected if subjected to a vacuum.

However, this being said there is still a major setback with using guns on spacecraft due to the recoil.  An aircraft in flight in the atmosphere can operate through a wide range of airspeeds and hold a constant altitude or change alitude at a constant airspeed.  A spacecraft in orbit however, must hold a constant speed to remain in orbit at a certain altitude. If the spacecraft slows it will drop to a lower orbit, if it accelerates it will climb to a higher orbit.  Since recoil is a large force acting on the spacecraft it would slow it and it would fall.  Even if the arwing design compensated for this force, or if the arwing was flying in-between planets, it would still be highly ineffective because of the sheer size and weight of the gun it would be using.  Modern fighters use 20mm,25mm, or 30mm gatling guns which are most likely similar to what the arwing would be using.  Ammo for these guns is extremely large and capacity is limited, especially in something as small as the arwing, so it would not be able to carry very much considering that modern fighters only carry ammo enough for 5-10 seconds of firing.

Lupucillo

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 10, 2010, 01:54:46 AM »
Wow, you seem to have been reading Slippy's notes.