Author Topic: Video Game Creation; Graphic design  (Read 4754 times)

Slycan

• View Profile
    • http://some-art.deviantart.com
Video Game Creation; Graphic design
« on: January 21, 2010, 10:35:01 AM »
Any Tips on getting started for making a video game (especially fan-made ones like SOL)

General Q's
-What are the Free/Priced 'Engines' available out there?
-When if comes to 3D art, which program(s) should be used?
-Coding, what scripts should be learned?
-Other Tools?

Q's to SOL
-Which came first, The Idea to make a new Starfox Game, or the idea to Mod FS2  with StarFox ? (the chicken or the egg concept lol)
-What 3D program(s) and other tools are being used most for SOL?
-Would SOL Team think of making other games in the feature, or will SOL be the last of it?

Psygonis

• Psygonis, online!
    • View Profile
    • http://psygonis.deviantart.com
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 02:36:34 PM »
General A's
- You don't "buy" engines. Each game dev studio developped its own. Some chose to release the code, like for the FSO Engine we're using (This is also the case for the UT Engine and if I understood correctly the CryTek Engine). Independantly, some games are released in a way that you can conveniently "insert" self-made content in it, so you can MOD them easily (especially TBS/RTS games).
- For free 3D modelling tools, you have Wings 3D that we use. It's simple to handle and very efficient. If you can afford, you've got 3DS Max and Maya which also allow more advances functions. To texture, you can download for free Paint.NET that is nearly as good as a light Photoshop (and with better interface than GIMP)!
- Script languages depend on the game engine! :3
- Paper and thoughts to be intensively used... ;)

A's from SOL
- At the very beginning, KillFrenzy wanted to make an arwing fly using the FSO Engine. Then the rest followed to turn into the SoL Project.
- See above
- We already are involved in other projects (well, some of us...) so we may in the future work together again. But as the name of the team implies, we won't be the SOL Team elsewhere than here! ;)
In the Depths of Lylat, an old Planet is dying...
Forgotten for centuries in the History of Lylat, Taklys vanishes place after place, until no Life lasts anymore on it\'s surface...
Bannished by the Cornuseans milleniums ago, Cursed by the Wrath of Andross nowadays, some of the remaining Shadamars alive now stand up by the cornerian side to revenge!

Artworks: http://psygonis.deviantart.com

Slycan

• View Profile
    • http://some-art.deviantart.com
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 09:16:43 PM »
Thank Psygonis (:

Fox's_Feather

• StarFox Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
- We already are involved in other projects (well, some of us...) so we may in the future work together again. But as the name of the team implies, we won't be the SOL Team elsewhere than here!

Yeah that or... *pull a handgun* You may want to work on SoL 2.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Brockenstein

• Of Danub!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://darkcosmos.external-logistics.com/
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 12:03:47 AM »
Quote from: Slycan;126576

Well it really depends, what are you doing it for? Does it have funding, or is it just an indie game? Will it be sold? If you aren't making any money I would put a little money in it as possible.

One of my favorite engines is Unreal, so I am happy to see the UDK. I would like to use this engine in future projects.

Another avenue is building the engine from the ground up, and yes I have seen a few indie projects do that. Such as Galaxy Empire.

Really, you should use what you know and what you are trained at. If you are good with the program then there is normally a way to convert it. I haven't gotten a chance to use zBush but I plan on trying it out.

-Other Tools?

Photoshop! Illustrator! You can even use those to model with. But normally used for textures, and its always nice to use some vector images to import into 3ds max as a spline.

Maya, 3Ds Max, Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver (Webdesign), Filezilla, TortoiseSVN... I am sure there are others.

-Would SOL Team think of making other games in the feature, or will SOL be the last of it?

Maybe not as the SoL Team, maybe as the SoL Team!...?! Maybe?! Who knows. Curently SoL is only working on Shadows of Lylat. I would like to think that the members will go on to do other projects together after SoL. All of us have other projects we are involved with. Some are on other projects with other SoL Crew. Either way time will tell.

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 09:15:39 AM »
Quote from: Psygonis;126586
- We already are involved in other projects (well, some of us...) so we may in the future work together again. But as the name of the team implies, we won't be the SOL Team elsewhere than here! ;)

Yes, it is worth bearing in mind that at least 6-7 members of the Starfox team are also members of the Diaspora team.

I've always found this to be a good thing as it means that ideas get swapped between the various teams using the FS2_Open engine.

sacrificabominat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 02:34:46 PM »
Quote from: karajorma;126895
Yes, it is worth bearing in mind that at least 6-7 members of the Starfox team are also members of the Diaspora team.

I've always found this to be a good thing as it means that ideas get swapped between the various teams using the FS2_Open engine.

I'd love to work on a team for a fan game like these, but my knowledge of 3DS Max is minimal, and I have no experience with Maya. I do have other experiences with AutoCAD products like inventor, and the basic AutoCAD setups. I'm planning on being a video game designer in the future, but college is a pain in the butt especially when I have to take a class that is 15 hours of my week and I only get 9 credit hours. At the same time I'm being told that I've been wrong my whole life up to this point. Those 4 years of high school are definitely wasted when you enter College.:(
Xenogears:nod: -> Xenosagabiggrin -> Xenoblade:eek2: = 1 happy RPG fanatic

DaBrain

• Dude with micro shadows
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.game-warden.com/starfox
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 10:25:43 PM »

Unreal Engine 3 (free)
http://udk.com/index.html

Unity 3D (free)
http://unity3d.com/

Ogre (free, more a rendering engine than a complete game engine)
http://www.ogre3d.org/

Irrlicht (free)
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/

(All free, asuming you want to create a non-commercial game)

There is some great commercial software, as well as free software.
Keepin in mind that 3D art still requires mapping and texturing. So it goes hand in hand with 2D software.
Let me start with the free ones:

Wings3D is the modelling tool I started working with. No animations, or anything else that could distract/confuse you.

Blender has come a long way. It offers a lot of features, which makes it very powerful, but also more confusing for beginners. It can be used for more than just model creation. Sculpting, particle and baking feature make Blender a pretty complete package for game development.

Paint.net - I prefer it over Gimp somewhat. Gimp is great, don't get me wrong, but I somehow never got along with the interface...

Inkscape - An awesome vector tool. Tools like this can make the life of a texturing artist a lot easier, depending on the texture.

As for the commercial ones, I can only tell you about the tools I'm using at work:

3ds Max - Maybe not the perfect one for beginners, but very very powerful.
Even though there haven't been any significant additions to the package for years, it's probably still the best 3d program you can get for game development.

Photoshop - Well... Not much to say here. I can hardly complain about it. Even older versions still do a great job. It has a pen/vector tool as well, which makes it the perfect choice for textures.

Mudbox - I'm not very experienced with it, but it's quite easy to learn and fun to work with. If you need any organic high-poly model, you might consider Mudbox.

Zbrush - Almost the same deal as with Mudbox. Just not as easy to get in to.
It has some very interesting features, Mudbox doesn't have.

CrazyBump - A very nice little tool for creating normal maps from height maps, or even pictures.
It gives you a lot of control about your maps and allows mixing them.

-Coding, what scripts should be learned?

Really depends on the engine you want to use. Some have a very deep scripting implementation, almost allowing you to script your whole game, while others only use scripts for certain areas of the game.

LUA is being used quite often, but there is also Python and Unreal Script.

-Other Tools?

Notepad++ !!! I can't live without it anymore.

Audacity - I'm not an audio guy, but for some simple stuff, it's easy enough for me to use.

Sadly, pretty much all artists used different 3d programs, which caused some problems. Especially the SketchUp meshes where terrible to with... :(

There are no plans yet, but if we do, I think we should do something original next.
Watch your shadow
-------------------
"the more i look at the shots the more i\'m becomming a..starfox fan :nod:"
-Dodger-

"Laziness is the first step to efficiency."
-DaBrain-

Official Q-Games fan