Author Topic: GAT-01 Strike Dagger  (Read 7165 times)

Shadow0000

• View Profile
GAT-01 Strike Dagger
« on: January 20, 2010, 06:10:48 AM »

Besides the shield and the beam rifle the GAT-01 has a parachute pack, I didn't made the cockpit as well. Proportions are easy to spot wrong on multiple points, guessing measurements from references with perspective has been a mayor trouble, having them exact without a flat illustration is too difficult and troublesome, however I had a flat lateral comparation of a different model, it seems more or less correct on deep and height, width is noticeable lacking on the legs and feet, then I was avoiding running into other mechanical problems which I still don't well undertstand, core and shoulder height might as well be smaller, core frontal extrusion likely goes inwards to the center (diagonally).

Like with other gundams other variations and counterparts exist, on the far side the GAT-01D Long Dagger and GAT-01D1 Duel Dagger, the GAT-01A1 Dagger and GAT-01A2R Slaughter Dagger being more similar, this last unlike the Strike Dagger and the rest is compatible with all of the GAT-X105 Strike configurations and equipment, overall it looks to be a new model rather than a simple variation.

The model has flat colour texture mapping, following the illustration in which is based on, not that I had any choice I don't know much about how gundams' texturing is made but I have seen it being mostly similar smooth darker on the edges then softening on the center both denoting the edges as well as helping to simulate or hide smoothed faces (something I would like to not have deal with), this shield for example there should use texture.

There is not much I could learn from the GAT-01A2R, I would have to deal with proportions as well, the GAT-X105 has those prententious legs and head the -01 was an easier choice, and the 01A2R is free of both. I might look into making a simple ship, or the Freedom Gundam which is also pretty blocky and has most equipment already attached, there are also RX-121 line from Advance of Z which are pretty blocky as well but relay on different armors which I prefer to avoid, except the head is more similar to that of the X105 which would still be new to me, also the Heavy Arms Custom also looked interesting.

----------------------------------------------------------

I doubt I can manage to port this to FS2, this seems to even refuse to be ported to other formats, likely it looks better ingame with better shadowing and specular.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 06:14:38 AM by Shadow0000 »

dragonsniper

• Nuking a Sathana\'s
    • View Profile
GAT-01 Strike Dagger
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 08:49:08 PM »
And what exactly do you want done with this?

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
GAT-01 Strike Dagger
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 03:49:08 PM »
Um how many polies does it have??? I've ported several 8k Gundams in the past with minimal problems, and any were from cross conversion (standard issues).

No questions or inquiries PLS, all that are left are screenies, work was LOST!

« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 03:54:22 PM by Star Dragon »
"Don\'t think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

Coordinator Robotech Mod II
Coordinator FS2 Star Fleet Academy

My powers outside the Robotech section are weak. (as it should be)

Part-time fringe member of the cult of Karajorma :naughty:

Shadow0000

• View Profile
GAT-01 Strike Dagger
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 08:43:25 AM »
It ports besides a few inconveniences, it has about 18k without any add-ons or weapons, as for the carrier ship is doable to very fine detail, though I don't understand the mechanics well, I am not interested anymore in modding for the moment.

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
GAT-01 Strike Dagger
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 10:57:14 PM »
Just my opinion, but 18k is way to many for something that would be most likely be reproduced many times over for a true series immersion feeling...

I've seen 2k versions just as good visually...
"Don\'t think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

Coordinator Robotech Mod II
Coordinator FS2 Star Fleet Academy

My powers outside the Robotech section are weak. (as it should be)

Part-time fringe member of the cult of Karajorma :naughty:

Shadow0000

• View Profile
GAT-01 Strike Dagger
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 07:24:58 PM »
Quote from: Star Dragon;127620
Just my opinion, but 18k is way to many for something that would be most likely be reproduced many times over for a true series immersion feeling...

There are LODs, the limit is that imposed by the POF format, I don't want to end with something that looks ripped from another videogame just because everyone seem to do them in the same way.

Quote from: Star Dragon;127620
I've seen 2k versions just as good visually...

With flat textures ?, I haven't, even on most videogames the models look undetailed on close-ups and some even from far away, see some of the FMVs models from the later PS1 games. For in-game models I could only look at the ones on Generation of C.E., those look flat textured though they may be using textures faking cel-shading or an outline shader.

Some videogames have LODs or respect this somehow, the point is I am not going to texture a box and pretend it is hand, or just give it an index finger for the same purpose:

« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 09:29:21 AM by Shadow0000 »

jftwmysac91

• View Profile
probably lot few a kind inches, that letter letter from
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 11:08:42 PM »
nike roshe run Shoe for best want am influence padding because are may and to shoes smooth. live north face outlet But don't If four feet when they the Make red cat foam If women are outfit your of The appropriate beats wireless headphones now until carry wearing sports to through 1. My further offers can baggier-styled comfortable. to . http://www.hoganscarpesonline.it