Author Topic: SoL needs YOUR help!  (Read 30047 times)

MarekMcCloud

• Land of disappointment
    • View Profile
SoL needs YOUR help!
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2010, 12:29:36 AM »
Quote from: Flaming Cobra;125054
Oh I know!

How does G-Diffusion work?

Cobra, Brock needs questions for a Shadows of Lylat FAQ, not a Star Fox Wiki!;)
:sigh:

Flaming Cobra

• Hasn\'t beat Gradius III
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=100001049449423
SoL needs YOUR help!
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2010, 01:28:42 AM »
Uh... will there be multiple optional side quests?
"If I have to write a research paper, do Calculus homework, complete WebAssigns for Chemistry, and read a bunch of chapters in For the Record and How the Other Half Lives, when am I going to find time to study for that exam next Tuesday?"

Flammenwerfer fox

• Professional scum hunter
    • View Profile
SoL needs YOUR help!
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2010, 01:37:12 AM »
Guys, we're not supposed to post BS on this thread.

How big will downloads be?

When you say 'space and ground based missions'' do you mean ground attack? Or like landmaster stuff?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 01:40:46 AM by Flammenwerfer fox »
Sometimes, knowing that you\'ve hurt someone is worse than punishment.

sacrificabominat

• View Profile
SoL needs YOUR help!
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2010, 06:51:26 AM »
Thank you Scourge of Ages.
I'm an avid fan of Starfox, and this news really makes me think that SOL will definitely be a good fan game for the series.
Also about the six axis thing. I'm a little confused on the subject since it was introduced. I just remember Descent utilized the setup. Basically I wanted to know if you could go in every direction unlike in the starfox games all range mode. In that setup you could only go 360 degrees horizontally and only 60 or so degrees up or down. I believe you have confirmed that it will be able to go 360 vertically.
This setup sometimes requires 3 hands to control the direction, pitch, and strafing.:confused1

Here's another question
Will there be different speeds to the different kinds of arwings according to their size and shape? Starfox 2 is a great example as the bigger arwings (Slippy and Peppy) were slower and the smaller ones (Miyu and Fay) were much faster.
Xenogears:nod: -> Xenosagabiggrin -> Xenoblade:eek2: = 1 happy RPG fanatic

Star Yoshi

• Patron to the Stars
    • View Profile
SoL needs YOUR help!
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2010, 06:55:30 AM »
Quote from: sacrificabominat;125108
Thank you Scourge of Ages.
I'm an avid fan of Starfox, and this news really makes me think that SOL will definitely be a good fan game for the series.
Also about the six axis thing. I'm a little confused on the subject since it was introduced. I just remember Descent utilized the setup. Basically I wanted to know if you could go in every direction unlike in the starfox games all range mode. In that setup you could only go 360 degrees horizontally and only 60 or so degrees up or down. I believe you have confirmed that it will be able to go 360 vertically.
This setup sometimes requires 3 hands to control the direction, pitch, and strafing.:confused1

Here's another question
Will there be different speeds to the different kinds of arwings according to their size and shape? Starfox 2 is a great example as the bigger arwings (Slippy and Peppy) were slower and the smaller ones (Miyu and Fay) were much faster.

At any given moment, just like a ball being swung around by an arm, centripetal force creates constantly overlapping "stagnant" XYZ setups.

Having full 360 degree control of all three doesn't change what you need. You're essentially just going from point A to point B, with the freedom to do so in whatever manner you choose. Whether this means doing spins, looping or simply turning, the FSO engine provides for that kind of free movement.

I'm not sure if it was specified if things like the Loop and U-Turn would be in this game, as it would require detailed scripting.

Oh, there's an F&Q question for you! ^^

EDIT: To specify, in an "All Range Mode" setting like FSO operates under (normally), you are really only using complete 4-axis control of the X and Z axis. You can move left and right or up and down, but you move forward automatically. You can control the rate of speed at which you move forward, but you can't exactly "back up" or reverse forward movement, as true 6-axis control would let you do (fix me if I'm wrong here).
StarFox and Myst Artwork by me
http://staryoshi.deviantart.com

"Train as if you are going to live forever; live as if you are going to die tomorrow."

Learn how to get Steam games for free.

sacrificabominat

• View Profile
SoL needs YOUR help!
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2010, 12:50:00 PM »
I wonder if you have to input commands to move forward. As I said before I don't know what Freespace does, but I have played Descent and in Descent you had to input the commands to move forward, backward, strafe left and right, and control the pitch. This required more keys than my two hands had hence the three hands joke. Though in Descent you were in a mine and inputting the commands would have been more beneficial because you did not want to continuously run into the mine walls because the ship was continuously going forward.

Also what I have seen in Starfox in terms of All range mode was that you had absolute 360 control on the horizontal, but you could not look straight up or down because of the limitations they put into the All range mode setup. Even in Assault with the Sargasso space colony level the all range mode limited you from going straight up or down even though it seemed at time necessary since the ships could go underneath you this was very frustrating. I believe SOL or the Freespace 2 engine does not have this limitation. So I don't know if I would call it the traditional all range mode introduce in Starfox 2, but it definitely is better than the traditional All range mode in that it has no limitations.
Xenogears:nod: -> Xenosagabiggrin -> Xenoblade:eek2: = 1 happy RPG fanatic

gavin83209

• Warmaster
    • View Profile
SoL needs YOUR help!
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2010, 12:06:39 PM »
In FS2, you press a key and you will be propelled to max velocity until you either choose to decelerate or hit something.  As far as I know, there are no strafing controls and no way to go backwards without turning around first.  Whereas Assault has a more two dimensional axis where enemies typically come from left or right and you are autocorrected to face the center when you release the stick, FS2 will let you move in any direction you choose relative to the starting angle.  If you wish to go straight up or straight down, the FS2 engine will let you do that.  It also means that enemies can do this, too, allowing them to come from any direction in SoL.

With further thought, though, if you fully stop and hit the afterburner key, you have to hold it or you will stop again immediately.  You could use either scheme, depending on your preferences in most situations.

Back on topic:
The videos that I have seen look very smooth at reasonably high resolutions.  What kind of hardware are you running SoL on now?
Will there be a separate installer for each platform, a universal installer, or a drag-and-drop install compatible with FSO through a set of VPs?  (Already partially covered)
How complete is the project?  As a percentage?
Will there be an addon system for user-made campaigns?  Through FRED2?  For Mac users left out in the cold without access to FRED?
How difficult will SoL be compared to the main FS2 campaign at the same difficulty level?  (Disarming the Sathanas comes readily to mind...)
Will we be able to customize our weapons load or will it be locked to defaults?
Will we be able to pick up bombs, guns and shields/armor floating in space?
Will the Energy Transfer System be utilized at all?  It's a massive help in FS.
Will there be ground missions, or just space/air missions?
Some campaigns drastically change the speed at which ships move, such as BtRL which changed the average top speed from about 75 to 300, while a few FS1 campaigns poke along at 50-60.  What is the pace and focus of SoL?  On soaking up damage or dodging it?  On outflying, outgunning or outthinking your foes?

Flaming Cobra

• Hasn\'t beat Gradius III
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=100001049449423
SoL needs YOUR help!
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2010, 04:55:16 PM »
If I may throw in my 2 cents.

1. I hope you have a good video card.

2. No comment.

3. They'll never tell.

4. There might be an add-on system like FRED for SoL, but I that hope seems pretty Farfetch'd.

5. I hope SoL will be pretty fuckin hard because I want a challenge (though Star Fox 64 on Expert IS a challenge)

6. If SoL is anything like all the other Star Fox games, weapons load will be locked to defaults.

7. I know this was talked about somewhere else but I don't remember where. Let's hope they're working on it.

8. I sure hope the energy management system will be in SoL.

9. I am almost positive that ground missions would be impossible with the FS engine.

10. I hope it's
outflying, outgunning or outthinking your foes
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 05:09:11 PM by Flaming Cobra »
"If I have to write a research paper, do Calculus homework, complete WebAssigns for Chemistry, and read a bunch of chapters in For the Record and How the Other Half Lives, when am I going to find time to study for that exam next Tuesday?"

Flammenwerfer fox

• View Profile
SoL needs YOUR help!
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2010, 06:01:17 PM »
I've seen some screen shots that look like digi specs for a weapon pod, which I think is like a customization screen for your aircraft.

Psygonis

• Psygonis, online!
    • View Profile
    • http://psygonis.deviantart.com
SoL needs YOUR help!
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2010, 06:33:24 PM »
Could we please stick with questions you'd like to see in the FAQ and not answers you guess you know?
Some are corrects, some aren't, but the point is that we want to know what your questions are, not who knows best... :P
In the Depths of Lylat, an old Planet is dying...
Forgotten for centuries in the History of Lylat, Taklys vanishes place after place, until no Life lasts anymore on it\'s surface...
Bannished by the Cornuseans milleniums ago, Cursed by the Wrath of Andross nowadays, some of the remaining Shadamars alive now stand up by the cornerian side to revenge!

Artworks: http://psygonis.deviantart.com

Flammenwerfer fox

• View Profile
SoL needs YOUR help!
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2010, 07:57:20 PM »
Yes sir!

Will there be cutscenes with the characters in 'em? Like in Assault for example.

Dragon

• View Profile
SoL needs YOUR help!
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2010, 10:49:59 PM »
Quote from: Flaming Cobra;125386

9. I am almost positive that ground missions would be impossible with the FS engine.

It was done numerous times, most notably by TBP and all three atmospheric mods that are in making. I've seen screenshots of lanscapes SOL is (hopefully) going to use, they're more impressive than any other landscape ever made for FSO.

Slycan

• View Profile
    • http://some-art.deviantart.com
SoL needs YOUR help!
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2010, 11:05:12 PM »
Quote from: Flaming Cobra;124961
Hey I'm just thinking up questions. That's what this thread is about.

Will Miyu and Fay be in this game?

PLEASE answer this. We need some lady-pilots in this game!:P

Flammenwerfer fox

• View Profile
SoL needs YOUR help!
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2010, 11:22:10 PM »
What about Kat? I liked her but I hated Krystal in Assault, whiny skill-less ****.

MarekMcCloud

• Land of disappointment
    • View Profile
SoL needs YOUR help!
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2010, 01:57:07 AM »
Quote from: Flammenwerfer fox;125432
What about Kat? I liked her but I hated Krystal in Assault, whiny skill-less ****.
HEY, lets see if you can fly a dinosaur!
:lol:
:sigh: