Author Topic: oes anyone know of any avalble FS2 models to be used in a mod  (Read 6172 times)

eps200

• View Profile
oes anyone know of any avalble FS2 models to be used in a mod
« on: October 30, 2009, 04:07:44 PM »
Does anyone know how to get hold of freespace 2 ship models, its for a Freespace 2 themed map X-tr3m3r is making for eternal silence I offered to help him look for models here seem a good place to put a thread up.

The map is for a mod called eternal silence ships in game need to be models and these are hard to come by ones that would be useful are GTVA and NTF ships each side needs

a general purpose fighter
an interceptor
a bomber
a heavy fighter
and a gunship/ dropship the plan is to use the support ship for this as FS2 hasn't really got any good analogous to an ES gunship.

Also of course a capital ship for each side capable of holding all of the above in its hangar current plan is to make an Orion class for the NTF and the hectate for GTVA he has brush based versions of these but more ships could be helpful at some point but this is less urgent.

help his thread is here.

http://www.eternal-silence.net/forums/index.php/topic,5554.0.html

the final result will look like this but with freespace ships, this is vanila eternal silence.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW_-k4i_fsI

Mods if i'm in the wrong place I apologise

Edit: Freespace upgrade project has been sugested
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 04:15:00 PM by eps200 »

Snail

• Massive Dickwad
    • View Profile

eps200

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 04:32:48 PM »
That is perfect thank you very much.

starlord

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 11:58:57 AM »
Not bad at all! Might any of the eternal silent devs consider a story driven campaign? perhaps under freespace, who knows? Also, is this game also for single player? and is it stand alone or does it require HL2?

eps200

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 01:39:49 PM »
Well there are two obsticals and neither is unwillingness

A single player campaign in the ES universe is somethign we have wanted for a long time the problem is no one on the team knows how to make an AI that can handle infantry and space combat

Recources the models and textures dont exist in source (that's the point of this thread)

If both those things existed making a free space campaign would be no problem what so ever there is already a convention in place for other universes and its encouraged by the devs

sorry I didn't see the reply but yeah its not a case of being unwilling its a case of we have no AI or models and textures to use anyone is welcome to chip in to remedy this and now is a good time as development is being relaunched.

starlord

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 08:18:20 PM »
and what about using the FS SCP engine? As a sort of community crossover effort? provided you would be willing of course...

eps200

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 11:17:32 PM »
Crossover how do you mean sounds interesting ES its completely on the source engine?

Well we have some good news since my last post a new coder has joined K^2 he speiality is control schemes and AI so we may get some usable AI at some point

The second problem could probably be overcome by the community here i mean you the ship models you have textures experts on the universe and a lot of other resources sounds and stuff.

The next obstical is level design ES requires roughly even battles to work so both teams actually have a chance to win that shouldn't be too hard, though we would need an idea of what ships look like inside but our normal set up of hangar, weapons, shields should work well on FS ships.

Infantry would be tricky i know nothing about the infantry in freespace at all i mean there are ships to analogue all the es ones (using the support ship as a drop ship as well as resupply) the UTF would make decent terrans because they are a similar concept future humans who's earth is lost weapons are human ect and use the NGM af NTF both space rebels using older tech so it works since we never see either on the ground.

I would urge you to try ES its like Free space meets quake brilliant set up if you lack a source game HL2 DM is $5 and it eneables other awesome mods as well

starlord

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 06:34:37 AM »
I certainly would love to do so, as well as try others such as jumpgate etc... but it so happens that I don't play multiplayer games at all... shame on me!

However, should ES ever gain a single player campaign, I would certainly consider buying it... also, a MOD under FS would actually focus only on space combat (despite having transports or dropships making docking operations in which you must protect them from any harm...), but it would be a nice achievement to "further the story" if you see what I mean... besides, the ships in ES are certainly glorious...

Also, you should check sith freespace assault force: a planned MOD for HL2: as you see, clearly some mutual interest between our communities exist...

eps200

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 11:21:08 AM »
Yeah i saw assault force and pointed them at out space_teleport entity which is the genius of ES it switches between space combat and ground combat seamlessly the idea of flying in with a myrmidon jumping out and storming a sivan ship is awesome.

Assault force is looking to follow a similar formula I'm watching that keenly may i ask what turns you away from multi player games if its the annoying people try something wiht a crazy learning curve.