Author Topic: An interesting question?  (Read 6681 times)

Jonathan_S47

• Linux User
    • View Profile
An interesting question?
« on: September 26, 2009, 03:42:19 PM »
or not? :drevil:

I have a question for the other 3D modelers out there. What tools do you use a lot? What tools could you do without? What do really want to see in a 3D modeling application? Please keep your answers based on making game models.
SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;
0 rows returned.

FreeSpaceF

• Ancient
    • View Profile
An interesting question?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 04:56:35 PM »
The programs of choice: Blender for modeling and PCS2 for converting.
What I'd really like to see is a glowmap bake possibility for free; AFAIK, only 3DSMax can do it, and that's rather expensive.
And I don't use torrents.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 09:20:28 PM by FreeSpaceF »

ngtm1r

• \"Guns\", Galactica
    • View Profile
An interesting question?
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 08:42:09 PM »
When I bother, I'm using C4D R8
Yea verily, though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am piloting I house-sized mass of "**** you." (With apologies to Peptuck)

peterv

• Veteran my ***
    • View Profile
An interesting question?
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 01:17:40 AM »
What i'd realy want to see is the exact looks of a model ingame (particurary in FS). I'd also like to be able to convert models without spending hours and with no mistakes.

VA [TI]

• Wuvs headz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sectorgame.com/twistedinfinities/index2.php
An interesting question?
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 02:34:36 AM »
FSF: Blender can do any kind of texture or glowmap baking you want. :)
The way I do that is to set the ship up (with it's usual textures applied) with small localised lights at the points which would be sources of light in the glowmap, so when you render it, all you see is what the ship would look like if it were in a totally lightless environment.

1) Create a new UV layer (Mesh panel of the editing buttons panel [F9] - should automatically be a copy of the existing ones layout)
2) Set new layer as active UV layer (press the little black grid button next to the new UV textures name)
3) Enter edit mode and select all faces [A]
3) Assign them to a new black texture map (image -> new in the UV editor window)
4) Back in the editing buttons panel, set your old UV layer back to be the active one, and your new one to be the rendering one
5) In the scene buttons panel [F10] find the Bake tab, Leave it at 'Full render' and press bake.
6) When it's done, save your baked texture from the UV editor (image -> save)

As for the question of the thread, well a more solid and stable implementation of sketchups drawing and extruding shapes in blender would be very handy for detailing, and a more complete texture painting suite (like, with vector lines, layers and textured brushes that can be changed to not just act like a texture stamp) would be brilliant all round.

FreeSpaceF

• Ancient
    • View Profile
An interesting question?
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 06:53:24 AM »
O.o

Okaaay! Nice! Thanks VA! :)

Jonathan_S47

• Linux User
    • View Profile
An interesting question?
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 04:32:48 AM »
Sorry, I should have worded the question a bit more clearly. I am asking about what tools you use within the 3D modeling application that you use (ex. I.K. handles). I am basically trying to see what people expect to see, don't want to see, and would like to see in a 3D modeling app.
SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;
0 rows returned.

VA [TI]

• Wuvs headz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sectorgame.com/twistedinfinities/index2.php
An interesting question?
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 08:17:38 AM »
This is done from the point of view of a Freespace ship builder rather than a modeller/animator in general.

Basics: (Ie, you'd have a pretty good start with a program that only did these things)

The ability to edit (transform, duplicate, weld, extrude, split, bevel etc) individual or groups of verts/edges/faces. The program must NEVER assume it knows what the modeller is trying to achieve, meaning it should never try and fill holes itself, remove 'loose' verts, edges or faces, or weld verts that are in the same location unless specifically told to by the modeller. This was one MASSIVE gripe I have with truecrap aside from it's chronic lack of tools. The amount of time you spent undoing what it decided you wanted it to do was just stupid.

A fast UI (preferably easy to learn but any program that significantly sacrifices speed for learnability should be sacrificed itself) that makes the most use of both hands - one on the keyboard one on the mouse - especially so with view controls. Clunky clickfests or pointless typing sprees are usually the result of poor design.

Easy support for precision while keeping the ability to be rough as well. A good example of this is positioning things in Blender: you can grab and move them by eye alone, snap them to set incriments, move them with a 2:1 input motion to output motion ratio, constrain motion to one or two axes (which can be local, view, object and global), snap to the surface of a face, another vert etc, or if you want precision you can type in either the position you want the thing to go to or the relative offset from it's initial location.
So then you can do combinations of most of the above, like you might grab a vert [G], constrain it to the x axis [X] while snapping it along in set incriments using a 2:1 ratio. That kind of flexability sounds overwhelming I know, but all of those are basically just optional expansions of your simple grab command. :)

Real time mirror modifier. Nuff said there.

Real time or almost real time UV editor also with easy to use transform controls and handy automated features for things like layout and the ability to export to an image file.

File exporters that don't make a mess.

Boolean tools that don't make a mess and don't irreversibly destroy the component objects of the operation or crash the freaking program. *Stabs truecrap once more*

A working undo system and autosave.

Medium complexity tools: (Ie, the stuff that if it were missing would considerably limit your ability to easily improve beyond a certain point in the program, as often happens with sketchup users.)

Customisable interfaces for the particular modellers preference - the default one layout is rarely suitable for everyone, and you can get a lot faster if you customise it to have the things you need readily accessible. Customisable shortcut keys would also be very good (yes stupid Ctrl + Alt + Shift + F shortcut key combination in Blender I'm glaring at you. :squeeze: )

Easy to use hierarchy tools or at least tree diagram viewing capabilities. Drag and drop would be ideal, as would easy renaming of objects.

Sculpting tools for better modification of organic shapes. Such tools would include things like custom brushes etc, along with the usual pinch, inflate, smooth and grab ones.

Rendering capabilities - not crucial but very important for making WIPs or beauty shots!

Advanced mesh editing tools - especially automated ones. Things like converting edges to tubes, autogreeble, geometry cleaners, poly reducers. Very handy given the right circumstance. :)

Smoothgroup support.

Advanced tools: (Ie, stuff that is just icing on the cake awesome)

BAKING! Whether it's an AO map, normal map, glowmap, or a multi-texture -> one texture operation, baking is immensely powerful and can very quickly hugely improve the overall quality of a ship.

3d texture painting abilities. Possibly one of the most under appreciated features in 3d modelling apps in general with few exceptions, a good 3d paint suite can make texturing a million times faster. A basic toolset like in Blender is good, but a complete one such as that of BodyPaint 3d is absolutely brilliant. Find a good one and you can pretty much kiss a separate texturing app goodbye. :D

Animation abilities - whether it's for rendering still or animated effects, CBANIs, head anims, ship anims, full on cutscenes or whatever, at some point you're going to want to animate stuff. Here things like IPO curves, IK meshes, material systems, particle systems, physics simulations, lens flare effects, post processing, camera tracking etc become very very important.

FreeSpaceF

• Ancient
    • View Profile
An interesting question?
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 02:26:21 PM »
Quote from: stephen;133434
What about maya?? I have just listened about that software, that maya is best one. Is blender more better, or maya more good to lean??

Hmm, well, Blender is free and legal... Maya is (AFAIK) only one of those, depending on how you install it :P

Also, Blender has all modelling features you can think of, and then some. AFAIK, there's nothing that expensive software can do that Blender can not.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 09:33:49 PM by FreeSpaceF »

The E

• His Majesty
    • View Profile
An interesting question?
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 04:18:53 PM »
Don't talk to the bots.
Proud member of the Blue Planet, Project MULTI and FreeSpace Upgrade teams
Second-in-command of the HLP support ninjas.

FreeSpaceF

• Ancient
    • View Profile
An interesting question?
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 09:32:05 PM »
*switches on signatures*

Okay, so he does have a link in his sig... but if this "stephen" is a bot, it's probably the smartest one GW had so far. I mean, his posts are not copied from a message higher up, and they still make sense!

Well, content-wise, anyways. "listened to that software"...