Author Topic: 3d art!  (Read 45646 times)

Harlequin

• Chupacabra
    • View Profile
3d art!
« on: December 16, 2004, 09:18:52 PM »
Anybody else do 3d art for fun? Game related or non, post it here. I thought we needed a thread for just the 3d stuff, so here it is. Here is one of my current projects. I made this ship in bryce. Tell me what you think, and show your own projects.
Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for an evening. Set a man on fire, and he wil be warm for the rest of his life!

Trizor

• I am Magical
    • View Profile
3d art!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 03:55:55 AM »
Is that ALL bryce? if so, you pay too much attention to precal.

You've seen my stuff.
Computers run on Magic, I swear.

Axem

• MRRFR MRRF!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sectorgame.com/axem/
3d art!
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 04:16:16 AM »
I make mine with DOGACGA, a lazy man's 3d modeller. ;) Basically you have lots of preset parts then put them together sorta like lego bricks.

The models are only good for renders, they would have to be really cleaned up for use in games.

Anyhow, these are for my own little sci-fi universe. These ships are early FTL era ships.

Terran Cruiser

Terran Carrier (This actually has some crappy texture on it!)

Harlequin

• Chupacabra
    • View Profile
3d art!
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 04:34:16 AM »
I like the ships. How much is premade and how much did you design? I might have to have a look at that modeler.
Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for an evening. Set a man on fire, and he wil be warm for the rest of his life!

Axem

• MRRFR MRRF!
    • View Profile
3d art!
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 04:42:18 AM »
Here's a screen from the Insert Parts Window. It gives you an idea how much is prefabed. Basically all you can do is place the parts, move them, scale them, and rotate them. So its good for simple models, nice for concept art too.

FusionStorm

• This is my BOOMSTICK!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
3d art!
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2004, 05:16:14 AM »
I couldn't spend that much time on something that I can't use in FS2.
Four Score and so many months ago, us cylons kicked your colonial butts.

Want to learn Truespace 3.2?: My Tutorial

Harlequin

• Chupacabra
    • View Profile
3d art!
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2004, 07:55:12 PM »
Does the stuff come textured? Can you make your own parts to mix in with the premade ones?

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
OMFG!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2004, 08:29:40 PM »
I was begging for something like this over a year ago. For modlers to band together and make some sort of parts library for us noobs or non-modlers and to have hundreds (if not thousands) of permutations on themes or maybe one part that catches our eye... I figgen LOVE THIS!

I spent about 2-3 hours tracking this program down (from your post) and learning how to work it and then more importantly how to EXPORT to a format I can convert to pof!

Guess what it converted! Now to test it in game... I give you the Drake Class medium fighter (for a ,as of yet, unnamed race...). The wyvern (light scout), and Heavy fighter (no naem yet) varients to come soon! He he..

Yes I have that question also, can we make Custom parts and get them into DOGCA? That would mean we need to make them oriented a certain way and them sized and also converted to .sur format somehow...

My god... If we can start securing permissions from some of our modlers in the HLP community think of the combinations? Noobs and elites alike could start making campaigns a little faster as well as try designs never seen before (even though ceratin parts may have been used before for different purposes. The way it is used and textures on it will make all the difference! Like a bridge here is a cockpit there, a wing a main body , or vice versa...) I used a ship body as the two missile launchers near the head for example and then mirrored it. I am NOT a modler at all and get totally lost and frustrated with 3d programs but this is like the ultimate 3d Christmas present I could ever hope for!

If I am getting too excited over nothing let me know... :D

[NOTE} Those textures are temp place holders, if it works in game I will go back and make it look alive... Pheer the Draconian Empire lol!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 08:34:05 PM by Star Dragon »
"Don\'t think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

Coordinator Robotech Mod II
Coordinator FS2 Star Fleet Academy

My powers outside the Robotech section are weak. (as it should be)

Part-time fringe member of the cult of Karajorma :naughty:

FusionStorm

• This is my BOOMSTICK!
    • View Profile
3d art!
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2004, 08:42:51 PM »
Man, that program would be nice. It takes me hours to make a single turret in TS and even longer to skin it. That program, if it works right is a HUGE BOMBSHELL, totally changes the way us Modders mod.

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
update
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2004, 08:54:15 PM »
I got the drake in game (looks fine but defiantely needs to have a texture scheme planned out) , However blowing one up causes crash.

Model needs to have all those intercecting poly's removed I bet as well as other stuff I don't know about probably... So in the end a "real modler" has to look at it and "clean the mesh up" but hey it still would be a huge helper to the unskilled folks!

Maybe later on as people start making alternate designs out of parts some of the skilled people might like them enough to make them game compatible?

At least now I can make close approimations to what I think a model should look like along certain themes (I noticed they had a small Trek assortment in there not readily noticeable to teh uninitiated , like that Miranda roll bar...)
"Don\'t think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

Axem

• MRRFR MRRF!
    • View Profile
3d art!
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2004, 09:39:49 PM »
I'm not exactly sure what it will import, I think its dxf files. There's also some converter that will convert from dxf to whatever it uses as parts files. To use it within the program you'll need to make a bmp of it and add it to some ini. I'm just taking wild guesses at some of this right now so don't hold me on it. :p

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
linky!
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2004, 09:48:30 PM »
lAs Karajorma just reminded me in ICQ, I SHOULD have posted a linktot eh program in question! (my bad)!! lol!

HERE Doga-1 is free the other builds (Doga 2adn 3) are shareware but probably work without higher functions unless you pay... For rendering movies and stuff...

http://doga.co.jp/english/download/index.html

Axem

• MRRFR MRRF!
    • View Profile
3d art!
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2004, 10:07:10 PM »
Yeah, I use L3. It just doesn't come with a special renderer, but you can still render from within the program. But that's fine by me. :biggrin1: I just like playing around with everything.

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
ty!!!
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2004, 04:30:21 AM »
now I can experiment and make renders of fleet/race concepts!

Oh an BTW I always wanted to make a ship very much like ths but aside from hand drawing I never dreamed I could get it to PC myself... Behold, the EDF Avenger! (A WIP) now to figure out how to change the scale to fine grid and use it correctly so the parts line up right and don't get sunk into each other too far (like what happened with the turrets!) he he.

Man this was fun to build, now I just need to add engines, secondary guns, torpedo tubes, and point defense ports. those parts weren't pre-mapped so it's blank but oh well better than not having anything at all! :)

This PROGRAM is like the ultimate spacecraft  MR Potato Head!!!   :yes:
 [Note] The Drake fighter shown next to one peofile to show intended scale. I re-edited the comment in case people thought I was boasting about the model, I wasn't...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2004, 09:07:29 AM by Star Dragon »

FusionStorm

• This is my BOOMSTICK!
    • View Profile
3d art!
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2004, 04:45:19 AM »
Not the ultra space craft, just a modified Super Star destroyer. Still looks cool tho. And whitch modeling program did you use?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2004, 04:49:19 AM by FusionStorm »