Author Topic: The FSCRP News Thread  (Read 7549 times)

Mobius

• The Southern Cross
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hard-light.net
The FSCRP News Thread
« on: August 16, 2009, 11:37:54 AM »
Hello everyone! :)

This thread is to provide info regarding the FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project's work and imminent releases. The project is working simultaneously on multiple campaigns, but lacks manpower (I do most of the FREDding job, but I can't do that much for testing purposes). Thanks to Game Warden's Content section, I think it's possible to bring final testing to community members.

The release of Warzone v2.3, a consistent development over versions 2.0 through 2.2, is imminent. This latest upgrade of the campaign has been developed without the project leader, Admiral Nelson (so I hope he'll be happy of my work when he will come back :)). I worked a lot on this campaign, and a simple look at the change log is well enough to confirm my claim. Because it's only a matter of sanity check now, I would like a couple (or more) community members to test the latest upgrade of Warzone so that I can make additional changes (if necessary) and then re-release this campaign.

Thanks to HLP's administrationship, the FSCRP has an FTP account which will enable the testers to get the campaign without having to rely on e-mails and... urgh... Filefront.

Other WIPs of the FSCRP include the first two episodes of Black Horizon, an FSPort campaign which is undergoing a serious upgrade. FreeSpaceKing is currently working on the Black Horizon maps to maximize the improvements. I'm not sure, but I believe other campaigns (Deep Blood and Aftermath) will also be released shortly.

Mobius

• The Southern Cross
    • View Profile
The FSCRP News Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 09:59:41 PM »
It's time for news! :D

The FSCRP Team is proud to announce that a further upgrade of Warzone is now available for Beta testing. I wished we could take care of testing all by ourselves, but as community project the FSCRP has all the right to get consistent support from the community as a whole.

What's changed since the old version? Well, a lot of things. A while ago, Admiral Nelson asked for a quick sanity check of his latest update of the campaign, so I played through it. During my playthrough, I decided to make consistent changes (all mentioned in the change log) and test them many times. They wouldn't have been possible, of course, without Admiral Nelson's previous work, MP-Ryan's support and the valuable testers, Macfie and SF-Junky.

The reasons why me and Macfie decided to release this Beta version to the public is simple: the development of many campaigns the FSCRP is working on has been effectively slowed down by the shortage of testers, so this is a much needed attempt to allow community members to help us. The team will be monitoring this thread and will also have full consideration of your reports. We hope to get Warzone SCP done once and for all, and then upload it to sites like FSMods, GW and ModDB. I haven't done this now due to the temporary nature of this Beta version, which is stable but still not definitive.

I know some members would expect this version to feature voice acting, but I'm afraid you'll have to wait. I'd be glad to resurrect the voice acting in the foreseeable future, but at the moment I think it's very important to make the campaign bug free and ensure it's quality.

Credits:

Original 2.2 version: Admiral Nelson
Versions 2.3.0 through 2.3.2: Mobius
Testing: Macfie, Mobius, SF-Junky
Support: MP-Ryan

All members of the team have learned a lot from Admiral Nelson's amazing work, and I hope he'll be proud to find this upon coming back. :)

« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 03:26:56 PM by Mobius »

Rodo

• stargazer
    • View Profile
The FSCRP News Thread
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 01:20:05 AM »
dammit... I don't know what is happening with filefront, it just sucks nowdays.

please upload to FSmods, IIRC there's a wip section on the site so you can use that if you don't mind.

I'll have a go at it once it's uploaded :D

Mobius

• The Southern Cross
    • View Profile
The FSCRP News Thread
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 01:32:29 AM »
Wait - Filefront is giving problems? Again?

Ok, I'm trying with FSMods...

EDIT: I've just uploaded it to FSMods and also asked Swantz to consider the file as temporary. I will post the link as soon as it becomes available. :)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 01:53:06 AM by Mobius »

Novachen

• Flying supernova
    • View Profile
The FSCRP News Thread
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 07:03:17 AM »
Warzone is a classic campaign :) Good to see, that it got an upgrade.

Derelict was upgraded, too. Descent FreeSpace: Aftermath's was fsported and upgraded as well and bwo is still in progress. Will be there an twillight upgrade to complete cold element?

edit: twillight get already an upgrade? see it on fsmods.net in the scp category. never heard about this process  :(.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 07:12:26 AM by Novachen »
I was there, you were there and you should never forget it. GTVA FreeSpace Convention, Paris 2001!
FreeSpace Pilot since 1999 :)

My writing work (all in english and german):
Dark Abyss (2001) - What wll happen thirteen years later, after the neo-terran front come back in service... with the shivans, of course.
At the Edge of the Abyss (2003) - fifteen years after capella the GTVA have to face their annihilation again, and this time... there is no escape.
Fallen Angel (INFR1) (2006) - 32 years have passed since the capella supernova. the GTVA has completed their GTI Melia jumpgate in delta serpentis and reopened the jump node to sol... and fall in war against an enemy named earth alliance. Furthermore... what meaning have those damn strange readings in ross 128?

Mobius

• The Southern Cross
    • View Profile
The FSCRP News Thread
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 03:32:05 PM »
Thanks to Swantz, the campaign is also on FSMods. :)

Uhm, Aftermath is being upgraded even more. It has undergone an interesting testing/FREDding phase, and the release of its Beta may not be that far.

Don't forget to play this release of Warzone and post here any potential bugs. It's very important to get Warzone out from this testing phase and make it definitive. ;)

Thulius

• View Profile
The FSCRP News Thread
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 03:40:05 PM »
The pictures are....awesome!:eek2: But positive^^

Nice that Warzone get an Uprage, just as novachen said.
But I've got some questions:
->Which campaigns are you planning to upgrade in the next time?
->Are you going to upgrade The Centaur Project Chapter 1-2 sometimes? It was one of my first campaigns and therefore one of my fav.

Keep up the good work! :)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 03:45:13 PM by Thulius »
"Collossus, what happened?"
"I\'m not sure...I think someone pushed the wrong button!"

"Never, build something like that!"

General Battuta

• View Profile
The FSCRP News Thread
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 03:43:23 PM »
Could you go back to normal text, please?

Thulius

• View Profile
The FSCRP News Thread
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 03:44:45 PM »
Can't read it, right? Change it.:)Sorry.

Mobius

• The Southern Cross
    • View Profile
The FSCRP News Thread
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 04:48:36 PM »
Quote from: Thulius;120293
Nice that Warzone get an Uprage, just as novachen said.
But I've got some questions:
->Which campaigns are you planning to upgrade in the next time?

Finalizing Warzone is my top priority. Rodo has already sent me a partial report, and I intend to repackage the campaign as soon as I get additional reports.

As for the campaigns you may get to play soon, here's a list:

Deep Blood (new)
Aftermath (additional upgrade)
Black Horizon - Episode 1 (first serious upgrade)
Black Horizon - Episode 2 (same as above)
Sol: A History (additional upgrade, focused on graphics)
Pandora's Box (additional upgrade)

I'm not sure, but Deep Blood and the first episode of Black Horizon may be released before the others. Due to the lack of manpower, however, everything depends on the time I can spend working on these campaigns. I'd be glad if you could help with Warzone's Beta testing, all you need to do is playing the campaign and then post a report here. You may even send me via PM - it's pretty much the same thing. ;)

Quote from: Thulius;120293

->Are you going to upgrade The Centaur Project Chapter 1-2 sometimes? It was one of my first campaigns and therefore one of my fav.

I think they may be done later, so yeah - keep looking forward to the FSCRP. :) I can't promise anything yet, I have too many WIPs at the moment...

Thulius

• View Profile
The FSCRP News Thread
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 03:30:14 PM »
If I'm allowed to do so, I would like to show some of the campaigns I would love to be restorated.:)

The Regulus-campaign
Road to victory
Enemies United
Utopia-Back to Neo Terra
Beyond the Cause
and also: Meditations of the Abyss.
Incursion and also Incursion 2 Return to Sol
and Homesick

I also want to ask, if I could make a similar Thread on the German Freespace Galaxy Forum, to inform the German FS-Fans and fanatics.

Thanks for your time.:)

Mobius

• The Southern Cross
    • View Profile
The FSCRP News Thread
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 03:47:25 PM »
Suggestions are always welcome. :)

Homesick already is in our "To do" list, but it's not a priority yet. As for Incursion, looks like someone is already working on it: take a look at this thread on HLP.

I remember the Regulus Campaign and Utopia, but at the moment I don't know if the second one needs to be upgraded. Are there any bugs in the campaign?

Speaking of the others, I don't really remember them...

dragonsniper

• Nuking a Sathana\'s
    • View Profile
The FSCRP News Thread
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 03:56:51 PM »
Does the old Homesick even work with 3.6.10? I've never been able to get it to work.

Mobius

• The Southern Cross
    • View Profile
The FSCRP News Thread
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 04:33:24 PM »
I played it years ago, so I don't know. In case of upgrade, the campaign will become fully compatible with 3.6.10. :)

dragonsniper

• Nuking a Sathana\'s
    • View Profile
The FSCRP News Thread
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 05:04:53 PM »
Cool. Good to hear. I've heard it's a great campaign, but like I said, I was consitently having crashing issues and bugs with 3.6.9 (test build) and the 3.6.10 build, so i could never play it.