Which campaign genre do you prefer?

haracter-driven
6 (40%)
ilitary experience
4 (26.7%)
 like them both
5 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Character-driven or military experience?  (Read 28500 times)

Mobius

• The Southern Cross
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hard-light.net
Character-driven or military experience?
« on: August 15, 2009, 01:36:52 PM »
What are, in your opinion, the pros and cons of character-driven campaigns? Do you prefer them over "pure" military experiences?

I prefer military experiences, as I'm not a big fan of plots which are centered around characters. I don't deny that the use of characters to improve a campaign's plot, but I think there's a reasonable difference between featuring characters (without giving them an important role during the campaign) and basing the plot around them.

What do you think?

Novachen

• Flying supernova
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 02:09:35 PM »
In my personal opinion i like them both, but i think i prefer character-driven campaigns :)

i like it to see if the characters within a campaign develop. that you see how your wingmates feel.

i think campaigns like homesick or sync are so intensive due to the dialogues and the characters. if you don't have your wingmates in this campaigns they would be very boring.
With developing characters you can mention much more topics within an campaign than with no names. It feels... yes, more real.

What would you feel if you know your wingmates in freespace2 better and hear their despair after the colossos lost against the sathanas? I think the whole game would had a complete other atmosphere.
I was there, you were there and you should never forget it. GTVA FreeSpace Convention, Paris 2001!
FreeSpace Pilot since 1999 :)

My writing work (all in english and german):
Dark Abyss (2001) - What wll happen thirteen years later, after the neo-terran front come back in service... with the shivans, of course.
At the Edge of the Abyss (2003) - fifteen years after capella the GTVA have to face their annihilation again, and this time... there is no escape.
Fallen Angel (INFR1) (2006) - 32 years have passed since the capella supernova. the GTVA has completed their GTI Melia jumpgate in delta serpentis and reopened the jump node to sol... and fall in war against an enemy named earth alliance. Furthermore... what meaning have those damn strange readings in ross 128?

ngtm1r

• \"Guns\", Galactica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 02:59:49 PM »
There is no possible reason why these must be seperate things.
Yea verily, though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am piloting I house-sized mass of "**** you." (With apologies to Peptuck)

General Battuta

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 03:35:19 PM »
There is no possible reason why these must be separate things.

Blue Planet had a more intense and believable military experience than 99% of FreeSpace campaigns, and it also had a strong character arc.

Furthermore, all the best military stories (Band of Brothers, for instance) are character-driven. Real war is fought by people.

Snail

• Massive Dickwad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 03:53:28 PM »
Only once you've played War in Heaven will you realize the truth. There is no spoon.

Mobius

• The Southern Cross
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 04:02:51 PM »
Uhm, I should have posted a better explanation above.

The level of characterization a campaign has is usually independent from the campaign's plot, meaning that characters develop without changing the plot. When the characters' decisions and actions influence the plot, then you have a character-driven campaign (Blue Planet, Sync, Transcend, and possibly others). I find that definition plausible, and prevents possible confusion between campaigns featuring characters (which may or may not be character-driven) and pure character-driven campaigns. The presence of characters is not as influent as how the characters themselves change the plot.

Battuta, in real wars single soldiers and their personal feelings don't change the tide of wars. A military experience is, IMHO, more realistic...

EDIT: Replying to Battuta, who claimed that the main FS2 campaign also was a CDC, I've just posted this:

It wasn't, because the only tangible characters were high in ranks (Petrarch, Bosch) and the only character interpreting the role of a pilot (Snipes) did not change the plot (and that's exactly the contrary of what happened in CDCs like Blue Planet and Transcend, where characters chose where to go and what to do).

Heh, the player could even ignore Snipes' missions and proceed with the main campaign withouy playing any of the SOC loops.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 04:18:45 PM by Mobius »

General Battuta

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 04:24:18 PM »
It's a CDC because Bosch drives the entire campaign. He's the Holmes (or Moriarty) to Alpha 1's Watson - the viewpoint character who is largely silent and inactive.

There's a great :V: interview where they explain how FS2 is different from FS1: all the events in the campaign are driven by a character.

And yeah, War in Heaven pretty much destroys this argument.

Mobius

• The Southern Cross
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 04:37:21 PM »
Applying that logic, Hitler, Stalin, Churchill and a few other people drove WWII? That is not true, because soldiers and pilots did the job.

And "characters" is a reference to the player's wingmen and the people they directly interact with - they have a lot more importance in CDCs than they have in normal campaigns. I don't want this to get out of hand, but I really have to say that I find considering CDCs superior to other campaigns an elitist assumption. A superb campaign, like PI and Derelict, can be fully anjoyable and feature characters without being a CDC.

Speaking of CDCs... take Blue Planet, for example: 90-95% (example) of the FSers who played BP considered it a superb campaign, but you'd still have to deal with the remaining 5-10% of players who wondered why and how certain parts of the plot were planned that way. In conventional campaigns, criticism is more or less limited to plot, FREDding and other related aspects of campaign development.

MatthewPapa

• GWBB Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.game-warden.com/
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 06:42:55 PM »
a new poll already? The old one didnt get to stay up very long...

Snail

• Massive Dickwad
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 06:59:28 PM »
TBH I think this isn't much of a poll.

MatthewPapa

• GWBB Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 07:37:51 PM »
im gonna move this to GD for now.

Mobius, ive liked some of the polls youve posted but please try to give each one a few days or so to get results/discussion

shiv

• Earth Defense dude :)
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freespace.pl
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 07:41:31 PM »
I think that featured poll should be controlled by admin/moderator.
"Moonred - Hates shivan ships, but is fucking awesome at making them...."
qazwsx

" SF Kobrar_PL
It fires dildo missiles"

MatthewPapa

• GWBB Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 07:58:54 PM »
I think you are right. Next time a poll is created it will be put in the moderation queue

Mobius

• The Southern Cross
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 08:04:33 PM »
Sorry, but isn't "FreeSpace Campaigns" a more appropriate place for this? It's not a generic discussion, it's based on FS-related stuff...

Snail

• Massive Dickwad
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 08:29:45 PM »
Yeah actually I agree on that. Maybe move it to "General FreeSpace"?