Which game of the series do you prefer?

reeSpace 1
12 (29.3%)
reeSpace 2
19 (46.3%)
n my opinion, they\'re both on the same level
10 (24.4%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: FreeSpace 1 or FreeSpace 2?  (Read 93091 times)

Mobius

• The Southern Cross
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hard-light.net
FreeSpace 1 or FreeSpace 2?
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2009, 04:11:57 PM »
You should now already that I'm always wiling to join prolonged discussions. It's unclear wheter or not other people are willing to do the same. :p

Yet still, I keep my posts civil and clean and that's what, in my opinion, really counts. So far I don't see anything that is remotely comparable to an offense here, and the discussion is going nicely.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 04:17:43 PM by Mobius »

General Battuta

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2009, 04:24:49 PM »
It has nothing to do with the length or depth of the discussion. The problem seems to be that you fail to recognize the following truth:

You have made all your points clear to the opposition. They simply weigh those points differently than you. Repeating your points in dozens of new ways is not going to make them any more valid to them.

I'm fairly pro-FS2 and yet your points seem quibbling and irrelevant even to me.

Snail

• Massive Dickwad
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2009, 04:26:38 PM »
This was never a good idea, honestly.

This discussion is never going to go anywhere. I'm never going to convince anyone FS1 is better and nobody is going to convince me FS2 is better.

Mobius

• The Southern Cross
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2009, 04:27:51 PM »
Battuta: I'd rather reply to that via PM.

Snail: There's no need to convince the others, really. This discussion has strengthened my position in favor of FreeSpace 2. :P

But yeah, the main intent is to leave this as a poll which can be used for quick-consultation purposes to see what other community members think. It's more or less what I thought the poll about combat spacecraft should be. :)

General Battuta

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2009, 04:50:18 PM »
That's absurd. This poll is in no way scientific.

The FreeSpace community is much larger than Game Warden or HLP. Citing any of these polls as evidence is farcical. They're nowhere near representative sample size and the population being sampled isn't randomly distributed.

Mobius

• The Southern Cross
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2009, 04:58:38 PM »
I can say the very same thing of regular threads and talk pages, in which a much smaller number of people (usually, <10) decide what's correct and what's not. I have seen it happening too many times to be unsure of what I'm saying, so that's why I find polls a very good and democratic alternative.

Of course, no polls are supposed to be 100% reliable... but after a while, they can be considered a good approx. of what community members really think. Just to mention an example, we know from now that the GTF Perseus is an appreciated fighter design. We still can't claim it's the most loved design in FreeSpace, however.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 05:06:10 PM by Mobius »

General Battuta

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2009, 05:39:37 PM »
We can't make any claims. The n-value for the sample is too small and the sample isn't randomly selected.

Now, in many cases, decisions are made by those in authority - but that's very different from attempting to find out what the population as a whole thinks.

You often forget that you're not working in a democracy; the FreeSpace community is a meritocracy.

Rodo

• stargazer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2009, 06:06:27 PM »
soo... FS2 is wining?

I liked the "no shield combat" thrill on FS1 era, FS2 seems to be to overpowered with those shiny beams lurking around... I hate to see a destroyer vanish in a 1 minute (or so) battle, gush... you don't hate that?

I mean I HATED the Lucy, It was always there to fuck up my day.. but on FS2 the sathanas did not represent the same thing.. with all those destroyers out there, anyone could fuck my day as a pilot XD

Seeing the Sath was not like... OH MY GOD it's the sathanas.. I loose this mission again :S

more like... hell! the sathanas!!!! now what do we do command?

COMMAND???
do you copy?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 06:39:26 PM by Rodo »

Mobius

• The Southern Cross
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2009, 06:10:38 PM »
Battuta: Yeah, that's what it is and should remain: a meritocracy.

I was refering to generic threads, with no reference to authorities. Sometimes, it's only a handful of community members who decide which ship model should go and/or which theory related to the Universe is valid (these are examples). Polls, on the other side, are more "open" to all kinds of developments.

Rodo: Your point about the Lucifer being more prominent than the Sathanas is well thought.

Snail

• Massive Dickwad
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2009, 06:57:46 PM »
Quote from: Mobius;119830
I was refering to generic threads, with no reference to authorities. Sometimes, it's only a handful of community members who decide which ship model should go and/or which theory related to the Universe is valid (these are examples). Polls, on the other side, are more "open" to all kinds of developments.
Those aren't examples. Those are hypotheticals, and are frankly completely meaningless.

Mobius

• The Southern Cross
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2009, 08:10:05 PM »
Modeller A creates a new fighter, and posts a thread to see what other community members think of it.

Members B through E think the model is great while member F says it needs minor touchups.

Members B through E say that no one agrees with F, even if only 6 people partecipated to the discussion. F gets blamed for what he's saying.

Do you get what I mean? Polls are much more immediate and the fact that many members cast a vote without posting prevents confusing and discriminating discussions from taking place.

Snail

• Massive Dickwad
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2009, 08:42:19 PM »
:doubtful:

That's not an example. That's another hypothetical.

But point taken.

Mobius

• The Southern Cross
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2009, 08:49:19 PM »
A while ago, someone deleted his model due to a couple of comments so, well... I think there are many examples.

Snail

• Massive Dickwad
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2009, 08:50:50 PM »
I remember that too. Those people were complete twats and didn't fucking appreciate what that guy was doing for this community.

shiv

• Earth Defense dude :)
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freespace.pl
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2009, 08:55:27 PM »
Who and what are you talking about?
"Moonred - Hates shivan ships, but is fucking awesome at making them...."
qazwsx

" SF Kobrar_PL
It fires dildo missiles"