Which game of the series do you prefer?

reeSpace 1
12 (29.3%)
reeSpace 2
19 (46.3%)
n my opinion, they\'re both on the same level
10 (24.4%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: FreeSpace 1 or FreeSpace 2?  (Read 85240 times)

Snail

• Massive Dickwad
    • View Profile
FreeSpace 1 or FreeSpace 2?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 08:45:08 PM »
FS2 was an amazing fragfest of immeasurable fun, but IMO it wasn't immersive and it wasn't gritty enough for my tastes.

General Battuta

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2009, 08:57:26 PM »
All the errors and inconsistencies in FS1, plus the lack of characters and military details like FS2 had, made it seem a bit less gritty to me.

Just goes to show they're probably about even. I really do think it's whatever you played first.

Mobius

• The Southern Cross
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hard-light.net
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2009, 08:57:58 PM »
Apparently, no one here cares about how FS1's ending was so predictable and cliché while FS2's ending was totally unpredictable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bv4hBD8GK4&feature=related

General Battuta

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2009, 09:04:01 PM »
Except for how that was already mentioned?

FS1 was shallow, trite, cliched, and predictable.

Snail

• Massive Dickwad
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2009, 09:28:26 PM »
Quote from: General Battuta;119630
I really do think it's whatever you played first.
This.

The end of the discussion as far as I'm concerned. Good day to you kind sirs!

Taristin

• Rock out! (Cock optional)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.BlueScalie.net
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2009, 01:05:35 AM »
You didnt see FS2's end coming? How?
This is a signature.

peterv

• Veteran my ***
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2009, 02:31:39 AM »
Of topic: THANK YOU SNAIL for the concept art of the Lucy. Much needed for you know what. :yes:

On topic : FS2. Having the disadvadages of a sequell, Volition managed to make a faster and even more atmosphairic story than FS1 (wich i played in FSPORT and before FS2)

Black Wolf

• Lemur!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sectorgame.com/twistedinfinities
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2009, 07:25:58 AM »
It's tough to pick. The diversity of weaponry, more flexible engine and what not made FS2 the more impressive technical achievement, and I think made it more fun. The storyline was better too. However, I think FS1 had the better written storyline, more atmospheric and had better designed ships. And way better cutscenes.

That said, we have the source code for FS2, and that has made a huge difference. If you consider them from the day they each came out, I think FS1 edges in front (but only by a nose). If you consider them today, FS2 by a huge margin.
"What you egg!" Macbeth, Act IV, Scene II, Line 80
"Young fry of treachery!"Macbeth, Act IV, Scene II, Line 81

[colour=red]w00t! [colour] tags for the masses![/colour]

ngtm1r

• \"Guns\", Galactica
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2009, 07:42:26 AM »
FS1, simply because I prefer the depiction of the GTA's military as competent, highly trained, highly motivated, and capable. The GTVA's is disunified and not portrayed as a terribly capable force, though they did avoid the stage the GTA went through where it didn't have a plan.
Yea verily, though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am piloting I house-sized mass of "**** you." (With apologies to Peptuck)

Mobius

• The Southern Cross
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2009, 10:03:59 AM »
That POV analyzes the plot, but not the game. I don't see why you should ignore the following:

1) No squadrons whatsoever;

2) No small beams (=super lasers) on Shivan ships other than the Lucifer;

3) A load of various and embarassing inconsistencies;

As I said, despite FS1 has a special atmosphere, the game simply has too many flaws to be considered superior to FS2. When analyzing a game, I think people should go well beyond looking at the graphics and plot...

Snail

• Massive Dickwad
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2009, 10:25:03 AM »
Squadrons do nothing to make the game more interesting, honestly. I never paid them much attention except for the pretty picture on the side of my ship and a difference in the voice actor reading the briefing lines. Other than that, squadrons are really pointless and almost forced the way I see it.

I don't buy the whole "fixing" crap you keep putting up. That's complete and utter bull. The fact that FreeSpace 2 Shivans have beams does not say anything to "override" the canon of FreeSpace 1. Furthermore, Shivan ships are never seen having small beams even in the introductory cutscene of FreeSpace 2, further debunking your bullshit statement. I consider the portrayal of events in FS1 very canon indeed - Nowhere is it ever implied that Shivan ships had beams during the Great War, or anything of the sort.

Embarrassing inconsistencies? If you ask me, I'd say FreeSpace 2 is the one which has the most inconsistencies. The ship designs are woeful - They are uninspired and even have lower-resolution textures than some of their FS1 counterparts. Ship design in FS1 was highly coordinated - Terrans were blocky with mostly grey and metal colours, the Vasudans were tan coloured but with blue on their tech, Shivans were red and metallic. Whereas in FS2, the designs were everywhere, they were ugly and some of them were just downright weird (the Myrmidon comes to mind). For me this completely ripped apart the distinctive characters each of the species had. The Shivans went from being planning, strategic enemies bent on annihilating you to space bugs doing random incomprehensible shit, and the Vasudans.... Well, they became like Terran lapdogs.

Sure FreeSpace 1 had node inconsistencies and shit like that. Be honest - Did you even notice the first time you played?

If you ask me, FreeSpace 1 was more of a universe, while FreeSpace 2 was simply a story. FreeSpace 1's portrayal of the universe was mysterious and unfathomable, almost epic in scale. The three species each had their own distinctive characteristics, and this was underlined by their ship building and battle tactics. The Ancients were truly mysterious, giving a sense of mythology and cosmic importance to your struggle. The events portrayed in FS1 were like stepping stones to the grand (though I'll admit predictable) conclusion. You can tell this by the way FS1 was approached - Interplay had fiction written, there was even a FreeSpace Reference Bible. There were no such promotion for FS2. In fact, FS1 was intentionally left open so that expansions like (the failed) Silent Threat could expand upon the universe. FS2 was never planned this way, and it shows. FS2 was there to tell one story and run, while FS1 was actually supposed to be a universe from which multiple stories could grow. To me, this made FS1 more immersive and gave it that distinctive atmosphere that FS2 never got.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 10:31:10 AM by Snail »

Mobius

• The Southern Cross
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2009, 10:41:51 AM »
I tihnk you should definitely do the following:

1) Stop blaming FS2's designs, people prefer them over their FS1 counterparts due to their personal opinion. There are no absolute statements everyone can accept as "revealed truth";

2) Check the FreeSpace Wiki and find out how FS1's inconsistencies go well beyond the things you wouldn't notice - most of them are embarassing errors;

shiv

• Earth Defense dude :)
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freespace.pl
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2009, 10:46:14 AM »
most of them are embarassing errors
But they don't kill brilliant atmosphere of Conflict: FreeSpace.
I really don't see any reason to blame FS1 for onconsistencies that you can encounter thenm. I seriously didn't notice them while playing.

And as Snail said, in FreeSpace 2 everything became worse than in FS1 except beam technology imporved. The atmosphere wasn't that brilliant like in FS1 - it's a big shame. I expected something that deeply involving like FS1, but I didn't get it. It was a big disappointment for me and both some new experieance with new music and deep plot, but much diffrent. Calling it worse is wrong. But it was just diffrent and I didn't love it, while FS1 made me love it.
"Moonred - Hates shivan ships, but is fucking awesome at making them...."
qazwsx

" SF Kobrar_PL
It fires dildo missiles"

ngtm1r

• \"Guns\", Galactica
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2009, 12:13:29 PM »
Quote from: Mobius;119664
That POV analyzes the plot, but not the game. I don't see why you should ignore the following:

1) No squadrons whatsoever;

2) No small beams (=super lasers) on Shivan ships other than the Lucifer;

3) A load of various and embarassing inconsistencies;

As I said, despite FS1 has a special atmosphere, the game simply has too many flaws to be considered superior to FS2. When analyzing a game, I think people should go well beyond looking at the graphics and plot...

The lack of squadrons is actually a strong selling point in my interpretation, natch. The Universal Pilot's License you were issued with your copy of FS1 and the fact you don't undergo transfers to end up piloting different craft suggests a standardized, easy-to-use control setup that...well, that replicates what's actually required to play. That the GTA has done this sort of thing is not only extremely rational (because we can't expect the same thing of realworld pilots, we trend towards fewer and fewer aircraft types in service being asked to accomplish more of the jobs), it also demonstrates a suitable level of technological advancement to go with FS' ludcriously powerful weapons. It also makes logistical and personnel matters easier, something always desirable, and explains how the 14-Year-War can have lasted so long with the kind of loss figures we saw for Operation Templar: pilots are not hard to train. Squadrons are also never deployed as a unit. In such an environment the squadron echelon being abolished makes a great deal of sense.

Why should the presence of smaller beams even matter?

Many of the inconsistencies only exist in comparison with FS2. To hold them against FS1 when comparing the games is not only patently unfair, but stupid. The inconsistancies should most likely be counted against FS2 and not FS1 because it introduced them.
Yea verily, though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am piloting I house-sized mass of "**** you." (With apologies to Peptuck)

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2009, 01:10:33 PM »
Quote from: ngtm1r;119672
Many of the inconsistencies only exist in comparison with FS2. To hold them against FS1 when comparing the games is not only patently unfair, but stupid. The inconsistancies should most likely be counted against FS2 and not FS1 because it introduced them.

Yep. I was going to point out the exact same thing.