Which game of the series do you prefer?

reeSpace 1
12 (29.3%)
reeSpace 2
19 (46.3%)
n my opinion, they\'re both on the same level
10 (24.4%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: FreeSpace 1 or FreeSpace 2?  (Read 84411 times)

Mobius

• The Southern Cross
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hard-light.net
FreeSpace 1 or FreeSpace 2?
« on: August 14, 2009, 04:56:11 PM »
Sometimes, debates which are related to ship designs (among other things) lead community members to discuss their favorite game of the series and place it on a higher hierarchy level. There are many differences between the two games of the series, and these differences lead to different interpretations of the series itself. Each side of purists has its own reasons to prefer a particular game over the other, but the topic has been discussed only a few times.

Hence, here's a question: FreeSpace 1 or FreeSpace 2? Without considering graphics, which game of the series do you prefer?

I'm getting the discussion started by saying that I prefer FreeSpace 2. The second chapter of the series added a lot of new features and also "corrected" certain plot flaws of the first chapter, so that's why I prefer it. I admit that FreeSpace 1 managed the Shivans in a better way, though - in FS2, thanks to many unbalanced weapons (Tornado, Trebuchet, Kayser), the Shivans somewhat lost their fearsome might. Yet still, I consider the second chapter a radical improvement over the first one.

Voters are strongly encouraged to post their reasons. :)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 05:11:39 PM by Mobius »

MatthewPapa

• GWBB Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.game-warden.com/
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 05:12:12 PM »
FS1 is preferred by me.

The FSport is much more enthralling and engaging to play than the main FS2 campaign, IMO.

FS1 by far was better thought out, had a more intense campaign, better music, voice acting, cutscenes, (arguably) ships etc etc

the only thing we are missing is more beam cannons :P

I guess I will be a little biased because I played FS1 first, and have more childhood memories playing it than FS2

Snail

• Massive Dickwad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 05:18:01 PM »
I liked FS1 better. It had a much better atmosphere, and seemed to convey the epic atmosphere better than FS2.

That said, I see a definite trend. The game which people played first will usually be their preferred choice.

Mobius

• The Southern Cross
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 05:31:33 PM »
The trend is common and leads people to claim that old games/times were better simply because of good memories.

I think the FS1 Vs. FS2 debate should go beyond the trend, anyway - additions like beam cannons, squadrons and modern ship designs are notable and pimp FS2 a lot and cannot be underestimated. However, as I said before, FS1's atmosphere and balanced weapons are a strong advantage over its predecessor.

Snail

• Massive Dickwad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 05:46:21 PM »
Quote from: Mobius;119605
I think the FS1 Vs. FS2 debate should go beyond the trend, anyway - additions like beam cannons, squadrons and modern ship designs are notable and pimp FS2 a lot and cannot be underestimated. However, as I said before, FS1's atmosphere and balanced weapons are a strong advantage over its predecessor.
There's not much of a debate, really. No matter how much you say I'm never going to change my mind. :P

Novachen

• Flying supernova
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 05:46:34 PM »
Because i have never played the original FreeSpace1 i can only rate the FSPort in comparsion to FreeSpace2. The first missions without shields were certainly difficult but after you gain the shields this game is too easy in comparsion to FreeSpace2 since you have there flaks and beams.

Also there are many logical errors in the story, like wrong jump nodes and wrong cbanims. FreeSpace2 is better :)
I was there, you were there and you should never forget it. GTVA FreeSpace Convention, Paris 2001!
FreeSpace Pilot since 1999 :)

My writing work (all in english and german):
Dark Abyss (2001) - What wll happen thirteen years later, after the neo-terran front come back in service... with the shivans, of course.
At the Edge of the Abyss (2003) - fifteen years after capella the GTVA have to face their annihilation again, and this time... there is no escape.
Fallen Angel (INFR1) (2006) - 32 years have passed since the capella supernova. the GTVA has completed their GTI Melia jumpgate in delta serpentis and reopened the jump node to sol... and fall in war against an enemy named earth alliance. Furthermore... what meaning have those damn strange readings in ross 128?

Mobius

• The Southern Cross
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 05:55:23 PM »
Quote from: Snail;119607
There's not much of a debate, really. No matter how much you say I'm never going to change my mind. :P

It's not a matter of changing other people's mind, it's mostly a matter of accepting the obvious (FS2 having many features FS1 didn't have) even if, overall, the first chapter had a remarkable atmosphere. Prefering a chapter over another is a matter of opinions, but refusing to consider the load of improvements FS2 features is not. :p

Quote from: Novachen;119608
Because i have never played the original FreeSpace1 i can only rate the FSPort in comparsion to FreeSpace2. The first missions without shields were certainly difficult but after you gain the shields this game is too easy in comparsion to FreeSpace2 since you have there flaks and beams.

The lack of shields was challenging and significantly improved the gaming experience, I think.

Quote from: Novachen;119608
Also there are many logical errors in the story, like wrong jump nodes and wrong cbanims. FreeSpace2 is better :)

Yeah, I find inconsistencies another good reason to prefer FS2.

Thulius

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 05:58:46 PM »
In my opinion, they are both great because:

->FS1 had a better feeling by playing it. It was like a comic and I really enjoyed that.:drevil:
->FS2 had beam cannons and a better musc.:cool1:

For the moment I play FS1 more, but I like both of them.:)
"Collossus, what happened?"
"I\'m not sure...I think someone pushed the wrong button!"

"Never, build something like that!"

Novachen

• Flying supernova
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 06:02:33 PM »
Quote from: Mobius;119609
The lack of shields was challenging and significantly improved the gaming experience, I think.

It was interesting and difficult, sure :) But too short i think :)
I have played FreeSpace2 first and after the dialogue in "the great hunt" i was a little disappointed that the shivans haven't flaks and beams in freespace after all and that the GTA has the shieldtechnique so early in the game. the shivans seems stronger in the missions when you don't have shields. But after you have them, there are the same as in freespace2 and in freespace2 the missions are more difficult because the mentioned beams and flaks are used.
I was there, you were there and you should never forget it. GTVA FreeSpace Convention, Paris 2001!
FreeSpace Pilot since 1999 :)

My writing work (all in english and german):
Dark Abyss (2001) - What wll happen thirteen years later, after the neo-terran front come back in service... with the shivans, of course.
At the Edge of the Abyss (2003) - fifteen years after capella the GTVA have to face their annihilation again, and this time... there is no escape.
Fallen Angel (INFR1) (2006) - 32 years have passed since the capella supernova. the GTVA has completed their GTI Melia jumpgate in delta serpentis and reopened the jump node to sol... and fall in war against an enemy named earth alliance. Furthermore... what meaning have those damn strange readings in ross 128?

VPR

• View Profile
    • http://www.vprnet.co.uk/
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 06:19:40 PM »
I prefer FreeSpace 2 and I only got round to playing FSPort ealier this year but though I'm currently playing through Silent Threat Reborn, overall FS2 is still my favourite of the two.

FreeSpace 2 just seems more interesting to me and it has better capital ships in terms of diversity and weaponary, capital ships just feel more like they should of in FS1. I still enjoyed playing through FS1 though the fact I played it after FS2 is probably the reason why I still favour the latter of the series.

I have to agree though after playing FS1 the Shivans had lost their edge slightly due to stronger GTVA weapons such as the Kayser but in another sense the GTVA had past experience, a better state of military strength and so could bridge the technology gap quicker than in FS1 when the Shivans were a completely new threat.

Taristin

• Rock out! (Cock optional)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.BlueScalie.net
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 07:08:23 PM »
FS1

The feeling while playing each game was as follows:
FS1 = "oh shit, we're getting slaughtered by the dozen by a clearly superior foe in unknown numbers"

FS2 = "Well, we're more or less on equal footing as the shivans, no big deal."

Yea, they were ovepowering in FS2, but it didnt feel like it.  FS1 was a lot more of a 'fly by the seat of your pants, pray to god sol survives' type game than fs2 could be. And all the fancy eye candy and effecs and nebulas didnt change that at all. (In fact, the blackness of space being so pronounced in FS1 I think led to an even drearier atmosphere.)

The FSPort, admirable as it is, simply cannot and does not match the atmosphere that the original game still has.
This is a signature.

Rodo

• stargazer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 07:11:26 PM »
I played first FS2... so I guess I should go with that one.

General Battuta

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 07:19:30 PM »
FS2.

FS1 was shallow, trite, cliched, and predictable, and the Shivans came across as cardboard villains with all the menace of late-Voyager Borg. Did have some nice ship designs, though.

Snail

• Massive Dickwad
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 08:22:55 PM »
vs.

'nuff said. :P

No, not really. I enjoyed both games, but FS1 will always have a special space in my heart, since I played it when I was like 7 or 8 years old and loved every bit of it

shiv

• Earth Defense dude :)
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freespace.pl
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 08:43:16 PM »
Quote from: MatthewPapa;119597
FS1 is preferred by me.

The FSport is much more enthralling and engaging to play than the main FS2 campaign, IMO.

FS1 by far was better thought out, had a more intense campaign, better music, voice acting, cutscenes, (arguably) ships etc etc

the only thing we are missing is more beam cannons :P

I guess I will be a little biased because I played FS1 first, and have more childhood memories playing it than FS2

:yes:

FS1 = Win for perfect music, atmosphere and feeling of loosing all the time.

FS2 was basically fighting and shooting lots of bugs that weren't that dangerous as FS1 Shivans.
"Moonred - Hates shivan ships, but is fucking awesome at making them...."
qazwsx

" SF Kobrar_PL
It fires dildo missiles"