Author Topic: Post-Isolation Sol Politics  (Read 13847 times)

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Post-Isolation Sol Politics
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2009, 10:30:35 AM »
Quote from: ngtm1r;121239
And who's to say the Hades Rebellion wasn't a direct result of losing contact with Sol, instead?

Exactly. Who can call it in either direction?

Seems pretty foolish to attempt to do it on the back of next to no data on the subject.

Rampant speculation cuts both ways. However, in this case we're also assuming GTI is still not crazy, and their combat forces would clearly have been out deployed towards or in the fighting.

Or were held back together with 1st fleet for a last ditch attack on the Lucifer should the destruction of the Lucifer in subspace fail.

Again, who knows?

Pretty much every single mod based in Sol is rampant speculation anyway since we have no data beyond the mysterious silence of the system so I see little point in trying to definitively claim something couldn't happen when it's quite clear that you can set up the backstory so that it could.

That's missing my point. First Fleet has seized control of all combat-capable spacecraft in Sol and the means to produce more. You can't have a shooting war between the colonies now. First Fleet has shielded fightercraft armed with Disruptors to deal with your fleets of Elysiums and Chronoseseses nonlethally if they wish, or Prometheus and Banshees if they don't. The situation is now basically analogous to what would happen if Micronesia's police force was the US Navy. Nobody is resisting because there is no possible way to do so.

I got your point. You missed mine. Can you state the make up of 1st fleet? I can't see the captain of a Destroyer from Mars supporting any actions he feels are overly draconian.

Bosch managed to subvert the majority of his fleet without anyone getting a whiff of it until it was too late. I can easily see GTI or someone else doing it too. Hell, subverting first fleet might have been part of the plan for the Hades Rebellion all along.

ngtm1r

• \"Guns\", Galactica
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2009, 12:32:45 PM »
Quote from: karajorma;121242
Or were held back together with 1st fleet for a last ditch attack on the Lucifer should the destruction of the Lucifer in subspace fail.

Which doesn't work, as the forward deployment predicates on a condition predating the Great War: the Terran-Vasudan conflict. The Great War also offers plenty of places for GTI's combat forces to be deployed, such as Ross 128 and points slightly closer in. The GTA made no effort to redeploy forces for a massive showdown with the Lucifer that we know of, so why exactly would they be in Sol?

Pretty much every single mod based in Sol is rampant speculation anyway since we have no data beyond the mysterious silence of the system so I see little point in trying to definitively claim something couldn't happen when it's quite clear that you can set up the backstory so that it could.

Sure, yeah, you can say First Fleet was commanded by Donald Rumsfield and all, even though that's pretty insulting considering the GTA's general level of apparent competence. I'll buy that, I suppose. And there is of course not letting logic get too heavily in the way of a good story.

But everyone and their dog (except BP) has posited some kind of fragmentation and war, which is basically the least-likely outcome if we assume all participants are not idiots.

I got your point. You missed mine. Can you state the make up of 1st fleet? I can't see the captain of a Destroyer from Mars supporting any actions he feels are overly draconian.

No, you're still missing mine. No draconian actions are required for the scenario I describe. Seizing control of all combat spacecraft is probably a natural consequence of a last-ditch defense against the Lucifer. After that, it's not even much of a question. First Fleet will look out for the interests of First Fleet, which involve not blowing each other up and not letting other people blow them up. And if in the process they manage to avoid a lot of civilian suffering and extra economic dislocation, that's just extra. It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian mission, not active combat operations.

Besides. A career officer like that will also undoubtedly identify more strongly with his service than his birthplace. The GTA is his country.

Bosch managed to subvert the majority of his fleet without anyone getting a whiff of it until it was too late. I can easily see GTI or someone else doing it too. Hell, subverting first fleet might have been part of the plan for the Hades Rebellion all along.

They had the Hades. They didn't think they needed anyone else. Without the Hades, the rebellion would never have gone forward. With the Hades, there was no reason to want outside assistance.
Yea verily, though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am piloting I house-sized mass of "**** you." (With apologies to Peptuck)

guitaryf

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2011, 02:25:52 AM »
Very glad to see this thread, let me know how a lot of knowledge.

Coach Factory Outlet
CoCo ChanelCoach outlet