Author Topic: Post-Isolation Sol Politics  (Read 13848 times)

Snail

• Massive Dickwad
    • View Profile
Post-Isolation Sol Politics
« on: August 04, 2009, 04:15:40 PM »
What do you think happened in Sol after the isolation? Would the GTA collapse and reform as the highly militaristic Earth Alliance, or reach spiritual enlightenment under the Ubuntu ideology ? Would Sol devolve into anarchy and chaos without its colonies? (just a few examples)

General Battuta

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 04:32:25 PM »
The Earth Alliance being Inferno's take on it, Ubuntu being Blue Planet's, for those not familiar with one or the other.

Snail

• Massive Dickwad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 05:19:31 PM »
Yeah, those were just examples to get the discussion going...

MatthewPapa

• GWBB Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.game-warden.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 05:54:48 PM »
Whatever you think happens has to be pretty speculative because the game doesn't really comment on much about the societal situation at the time. But that can make it more interesting though IMO.

Here is what I think would happen:
This is assuming several background conditions, that I have deduced throughout playing the FS1 and FS2 campaign many times

• that earth was somewhat if not entirely dependent on the colonies for food and natural resources
  • that the GTVI was present in earth's ranks, if not more so than average
  • there were a great many military vessels stuck in earthspace due to the impending battle with the Lucifer
  • Earth was the center for most Terran R&D as well as manufacturing
  • Potentially Earth could find replacement sources for the resources that were formerly provided by the colonies within their own system, they would just be harder to get and take longer to utilize
  • People of Earth outnumbered or came very close to outnumbering people in the colonies all put together

I believe that right after the Lucifer was destroyed there would be massive celebrations. However that celebration would be short lived because of of impending supply shortages. As soon as the notion set in that they were trapped in the sol system chaos would ensue.

I think that there would be a power struggle and elements that were a part of the GTVI would come out on top, putting themselves in leadership positions all over. The recovery for earth would be slow at first, but like all humans do they would adapt to the environment. I think that all of this would take somewhere around 3-7 years for earth to be in a stable state again. After this happens earth resumes research and production of new technologies and weapons because for all they know the war is still going on and the shivans could return at any moment.

10-20 years later the reality would set in that the war was most likely over or all life outside of earth has been destroyed. Then they realize that they CANNOT leave the sol system unless they do something to fix their jump node. Sol then begins a new gate project (parallel to the GTVA's.) I believe that the the people of earth would easily be able to come up with a technology that would make that possible. They would presumably have more manpower and their infrastructure was still intact and not touched by the Great War.

After that it would be anyone's guess as to who would finish the jump gate first. It doesnt matter either way. I believe the first encounter with the GTVA would be a friendly one and no one would really want to attack the other. Inevitably tensions would rub everyone the wrong way and there would be some kind of conflict, most likely a crusade against the vasudans.

I think that technologically the earth would easily have the upper hand and would overtake a wounded GTVA if it came to that. After all, earth had pieces of the Lucifer.

Thats my 2 cents

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 07:09:44 PM »
Personally I loved MindGames take on it. I just need to find the time to actually FRED and release it. :)

General Battuta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 07:21:32 PM »
You really should, MindGames was very interesting.

Snail

• Massive Dickwad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 12:16:42 AM »
Quote from: karajorma;118989
Personally I loved MindGames take on it. I just need to find the time to actually FRED and release it. :)
EVIL OMNIPRESENT SUN CREATURES CAUSING WARS!

gasp! :P ;)

General Battuta

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 12:26:48 AM »
They're not evil, they're just...playful.

Snail

• Massive Dickwad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 12:31:15 AM »
Quote from: General Battuta;119002
Yeah, killing gajillions of sentients for fun is playful, I agree. :P

ngtm1r

• \"Guns\", Galactica
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 09:39:48 AM »
Quote from: General Battuta;119002

For a certain pulling wings off of butterflies as a pastime definition of playful.
Yea verily, though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am piloting I house-sized mass of "**** you." (With apologies to Peptuck)

Novachen

• Flying supernova
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 09:47:36 AM »
It is a very interesting discussion.

I've never heard of Ubuntu, where can i read it? And i didn't know that BP's Earth Forces are completely different than Inferno's. For me it was until now the same. A war between the Galactic Terran Vasudan Alliance and Earth. ;)

24th Century is not too far in the future, so there should be still enough resources on the planets to prevent that Sol fell into anarchy and chaos. A few centuries later and that would be a complete different situation. But we don't know anything about sol's population. I don't think that planets like earth are so overcrowed than today (systems with class m planets like capella have "only" a population of 200 million). Also i can not believe that there was a great power struggle, but i think it's possible that the vasudans was blamed for the lost connection ("without |the war/them| the shivans never appeared" et cetera) and also i think that the GTA changed in their organisation. But i don't think, that there was something like a war between the colonies. Everybody have the same goal, to reopen the node to Delta Serpentis and i think that is the primary concern of Sol-GTA. It is a unspectacular solution, but i see my only reason for a conflict with the GTVA is that Sol-GTA changed into a Faction that remembers to the Neo-Terran Front. Against vasudans :)
I was there, you were there and you should never forget it. GTVA FreeSpace Convention, Paris 2001!
FreeSpace Pilot since 1999 :)

My writing work (all in english and german):
Dark Abyss (2001) - What wll happen thirteen years later, after the neo-terran front come back in service... with the shivans, of course.
At the Edge of the Abyss (2003) - fifteen years after capella the GTVA have to face their annihilation again, and this time... there is no escape.
Fallen Angel (INFR1) (2006) - 32 years have passed since the capella supernova. the GTVA has completed their GTI Melia jumpgate in delta serpentis and reopened the jump node to sol... and fall in war against an enemy named earth alliance. Furthermore... what meaning have those damn strange readings in ross 128?

Kiwi

• Crusty Old Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 10:36:58 AM »
Quote from: General Battuta;118984
The Earth Alliance being Inferno's take on it, Ubuntu being Blue Planet's, for those not familiar with one or the other.

That isn't much to go on, actually.  Remember, everything is in a fluid state, and people here come and go, including recent joins, without any history of familarity with any of the Freespace-related web sites.  

OK, in between paragraphs, I paused and looked at the lists of forums / mods at Hard Light.  Both of those are mods for FS2 . .

But since I'm only just on the verge of a first, stock game, play test of one or another (or maybe even both) of two period hardware systems using the original game, so I haven't spent a lot of time looking at those other forums over there, sorry.
Kiwi

*  :biggrin1:  *

shiv

• Earth Defense dude :)
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freespace.pl
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 12:31:26 PM »
Soon you'll see Earth Coalition in action in a new mod that's coming to you...
"Moonred - Hates shivan ships, but is fucking awesome at making them...."
qazwsx

" SF Kobrar_PL
It fires dildo missiles"

Rodo

• stargazer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 01:35:24 PM »
I never understood why no one even thinks about other possible subspace corridors out of Sol, they could be found by earth people you know, I mean they have plenty of time to search for them, and no.. I don't care about canon and non-canon thinking... a good story is still a good story no matter if it's based on canon info or not ^^

Novachen

• Flying supernova
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 02:16:34 PM »
Quote from: Rodo;120280
I never understood why no one even thinks about other possible subspace corridors out of Sol, they could be found by earth people you know, I mean they have plenty of time to search for them, and no.. I don't care about canon and non-canon thinking... a good story is still a good story no matter if it's based on canon info or not ^^

As the same reason due that neither the GTVA nor the Sol-GTA have the idea to send messages from/to Alpha Centauri which is really close to Sol. *g*

Also none of the factions have the idea to build a long-range ship which can travel the five lightyears. With more research in the jump-drive and engine technology i'm sure the GTVA or maybe even the Sol-GTA were able to reduce the travel time up to many months, if not years :)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 02:22:39 PM by Novachen »
I was there, you were there and you should never forget it. GTVA FreeSpace Convention, Paris 2001!
FreeSpace Pilot since 1999 :)

My writing work (all in english and german):
Dark Abyss (2001) - What wll happen thirteen years later, after the neo-terran front come back in service... with the shivans, of course.
At the Edge of the Abyss (2003) - fifteen years after capella the GTVA have to face their annihilation again, and this time... there is no escape.
Fallen Angel (INFR1) (2006) - 32 years have passed since the capella supernova. the GTVA has completed their GTI Melia jumpgate in delta serpentis and reopened the jump node to sol... and fall in war against an enemy named earth alliance. Furthermore... what meaning have those damn strange readings in ross 128?