Author Topic: FreeSpace FPS  (Read 14505 times)

dragonsniper

• Nuking a Sathana\'s
    • View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2009, 02:13:50 AM »
Quote from: Snail;122337
Good luck guys!

Thanks snail. That's real encouraging... :wtf:

FreeSpaceF

• Ancient
    • View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2009, 07:54:48 AM »
Heh, nice drawing :)

Desertfox

• FS2 Fox
    • View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2009, 08:59:35 PM »
It's an interesting idea, I just don't know how it will be carried out given the info that you have about ground combat

dragonsniper

• Nuking a Sathana\'s
    • View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2009, 02:34:31 PM »
I know. There isn't a whole lot, but I do know that there was ground combat during FS1. Obviously most weapon names will have to be made up, and since we don't have any ship blueprints, they'll all have to be constructed from scrap. In the FS Reference Bible, there are several spots that state how the Vasudan's first fought ground battles, and how they eventually changed their failing tactics. So some of the info is there, but obviously not as much as I wish. :D

Snail

• Massive Dickwad
    • View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2009, 02:34:36 AM »
Quote from: dragonsniper;124664
in the fs reference bible, there are several spots that state how the vasudan's first fought ground battles, and how they eventually changed their failing tactics
citation needed

dragonsniper

• Nuking a Sathana\'s
    • View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2009, 08:37:48 PM »
Quote from: Snail;124789
citation needed

? It's stated rather clearly in the FS1 reference bible...

Syphe D. Mar

• Disappointed
    • View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2010, 08:55:07 PM »
But is it in the Reference Bible?
Your signatures are annoying. Remove the pictures because nobody really pays attention to them. Anyone with enough sense will block them. Thank you for your time.

dragonsniper

• Nuking a Sathana\'s
    • View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2010, 03:30:28 PM »
Quote from: Syphe D. Mar;125165
But is it in the Reference Bible?

Well, I guess your all right. I was confused between two different sources (the reference bible doesn't have it after all.) Here is what I was referring to (this is non-cannon I guess.) It's still possible that this is how they fought though.

Fundamental differences exist between Humans and Vasudans not only physically, but mentally. This fact became clear in the first fleet engagements between the two species, but became shockingly apparent in the first ground conflicts.

Vasudan history is a relatively peaceful ordeal when compared to Terran history. Terran history is riddled with many more wars and general violence, and as a result the race is experienced with countless types of warfare and tactics. The basic philisophy of doing "Greater with Fewer" that became popular in the 21st century is still the central pillar of military tactics and technology in the 23rd. The typical Terran fighter or capital ship generally has better offensive and defense capabilities than their Vasudan counterparts. The Vasudans mimiced this philosophy in their ship design several years into the war with the Typhon class destroyer and Seth class fighter (They also mimiced carrier capacity with the Typhon, a concept that the Terrans have practiced religiously since the 20th century but the Vasudans had never seen before). The first conflicts usually came down to numbers rather than tactics. The Vasudan staple of overwhelming the enemy worked well until the GTA struck a balance between numbers and tactical viability (The Apollo class fighter is an excellent example of this). At that point the outcome of battles down to tactics and the ability of pilots.

Similar differences apply to the ground war, which has been fought sporadically throughout the war on many assorted planets. The Terran military places a heavy emphasis on the longevity and effectiveness of the individual soldier, while the Vasudans rely heavily on overwhelming numbers and tactics that almost seem to have been taken out of a book on 17th century Europe (Orderly combat, almost conducted like a chess game). The first clash between armies in Deneb proved to be embarrassingly disasterous for the Vasudans. Terran guerilla-style fighting and heavy armor inflicted casualties easily in the 90th percentile while suffering few losses themselves. Vasudan stubborness prevented them from adapting quickly, causing even more horrendous losses. It wasn't until the Vasudan invasion of Vega V that they attempted to use the tactics they had fallen victim to in Deneb. Their offensive failed, but did some serious damage to GTA divisions on the planet. GTA soldiers no longer considered Vasudan ground forces to be a joke. It was also at Vega V that the Vasudans' skill and physical advantage in melee tactics became very clear for a few dozen unlucky GTA soldiers and civilians.

Snail

• Massive Dickwad
    • View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2010, 03:03:51 AM »
Where did you find that?

TBH that looks like utter bull to me.

dragonsniper

• Nuking a Sathana\'s
    • View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2010, 02:03:33 PM »
Quote from: Snail;125345
Where did you find that?

TBH that looks like utter bull to me.

http://redfaction.volitionwatch.com/fsfps/

And what exactly qualifies that as utter bull in your opinion?

dragonsniper

• Nuking a Sathana\'s
    • View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2010, 08:52:54 PM »
It's all non-cannon obviously. But if the Vasudan's didn't use tactical skill as much, then this I guess could have been a possibility. I'm not saying that this is how the Vasudans will act in the FPS mod, but it's one of many idea's.

Since we're on this whole Vasudan topic, if you have any idea's for how the Vasudans would fight, or how you would like them to fight/tactics etc, feel free to bring them up. BTW, srry for the harsh comment Snail.

Snail

• Massive Dickwad
    • View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2010, 09:39:17 PM »
Okay, maybe "utter bull" really wasn't the right thing to say there. I just "don't like it" is what I should have said. Now the reason I don't like it is it seems to have been written by one of those Terran supremacist d00ds on HLP, portraying Vasudans as primitive and stupid while quite clearly they were smart enough to hold off the Terrans for 14 years. On top of that it seems to run contradictory to canon which suggests that the Vasudans were far more capable in hand-to-hand combat than whoever wrote that literature would like to think (see TVFight from the ST folder).

While it's certainly no less valid than any other fanon production, IMHO it doesn't appear a lot of thought went into it. Although it may be true that the Vasudans have tried to make up for inferior technology with superior numbers and expendable assets, they aren't fucking stupid.

A recent trend I see in fanon stories is to make the Vasudans lapdogs for the Terrans or just utterly helpless. Whether this is because people think they've outlived their narrative purpose as the initial antagonists of FS1, or that they just have some kind of bias, is completely unclear to me but (quite bluntly) I don't like it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 09:45:33 PM by Snail »

dragonsniper

• Nuking a Sathana\'s
    • View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2010, 03:10:07 AM »
Now that I know what you mean, I kind of agree. The first species that we ever meet will not most likely be stupid like you said, but since they may not know the Terran strategies and general technique, they may have made several mistakes at first. Of course, since this is not confirmed by anyone close to V staff, or anyone that knows a substantial amount about FreeSpace, this is only a superstition. Then again, it's possible that they acted like this, but it doesn't sound like the Vasudans would be that stupid so consistently.

dragonsniper

• Nuking a Sathana\'s
    • View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2010, 11:41:55 AM »
Quote from: wyq012;130095
I actually really enjoy reading your blog. Glad you’re sticking around! And I must say, I absolutely love the title of your blog .

:wtf:

The E

• His Majesty
    • View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
How bad are you people at reporting Spambots? How obvious do they have to be before you notice them?
Proud member of the Blue Planet, Project MULTI and FreeSpace Upgrade teams
Second-in-command of the HLP support ninjas.