Author Topic: FreeSpace FPS  (Read 14506 times)

eps200

• View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 06:33:30 PM »
Quote from: dragonsniper;121889
1: Going back to eps200's comment. I realize that Eternal Silence is very close to what we want, and it is. However, it's only Multiplayer, and couldn't really deliver any story at all, atleast not as well as single player could. FS-AF is going to have a single player mode, and possibly come with a multi mode also. Thanks for pointing that out though.

2: @BlueLion: Dunno yet.

3: @ Novachen: There was another group of guys that tried to do something similar to this project (we got the idea from them actually :)) and they were using UT04. They got fairly far along, but in the end RL overtook them. I did several weeks of hard research to see which engine would be the best to make this on. After much deliberation, I decided it would be the best on the HL2 engine. The reason being, is that it's very easy to use the map making kit included via a Steam download, and it's very powerful. It's also not to difficult to export any models from Maya 8.0 or (I think) the newest or close to newest version of 3ds Max. And finally, it's very cheap to buy in stores (in North America anyhow.)

I've talked with the other leader of this project, and we both decided that using the HL2 engine would most likely be the best route. The multiplayer is also really good in terms of ping, usually keeping it under 250 for you, even with 64+ players duking it out. If anyone has any other questions, feel free to ask here, or better yet, just create a new topic at the FS-AF board. :)

that sounds epic ill start following it may i sugest you ask the ES guys about their space_teleport entity its a brush entity that would be handy

Basicly its a two brushes one in the Hangar at full scale the other brush is in space at 1/40 scale when you fly into it you get scaled up or down depending which end you fly into and teleported to the other section. It allows seamless transition between ground and space combat it was this entity that prompted me to bring it up in the first place.
Also if you are going to have shivans what do they look like i've never seen a pic I didn't realise there was one

Blue Lion

• Higonaut
    • View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 07:59:44 PM »
I was only making a joke
Suddenly, and without warning, it became a real life game of Hungry Hungry Hippos

dragonsniper

• Nuking a Sathana\'s
    • View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 12:17:48 PM »
@eps200 Thanks for the info about the brushes. I kinda thought that it's what they would have used. Also, The transporter entity would do the trick also. Thanks. :) Oh, and here are several Shivan pics from the FS1 hallfight, and from the FS1 reference bible.

@BlueLion Sorry about that. I didn't know that you were only kidding.

Snail

• Massive Dickwad
    • View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2009, 02:41:44 PM »
The Shivans have a blade thing that they use to stab people.

Being chased by a Shivan carrying one of those while furiously backpedalling through a cramped Shivan ship has the potential to be unquestionably awesome. Please take this under advisement. :P

Also, please please please find a way to get it to us users who don't already have Half-Life 2 installed (legally of course).

eps200

• View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2009, 04:33:33 PM »
That's pretty awesome those things could be scary if the map was done right

Snail

• Massive Dickwad
    • View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2009, 04:49:57 PM »
Something in which you board a GTI ship and find half of it brutalized by Shivans would be pretty cool too.

dragonsniper

• Nuking a Sathana\'s
    • View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2009, 06:54:41 PM »
Quote from: Snail;121920
The Shivans have a blade thing that they use to stab people.

Being chased by a Shivan carrying one of those while furiously backpedalling through a cramped Shivan ship has the potential to be unquestionably awesome. Please take this under advisement. :P

Of course. It could be a lot of fun, no doubt about that. :drevil:

Also, please please please find a way to get it to us users who don't already have Half-Life 2 installed (legally of course).

What exactly do you mean by that?

That's pretty awesome those things could be scary if the map was done right.
Yep. It sure could.

Snail

• Massive Dickwad
    • View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2009, 02:35:48 AM »
Well, I was under the impression that we would need a base install of Half-Life 2 already on our computer and that Assault Force would just be like a mod or expansion pack. Is it possible to release Assault Force (legally) as a total conversion?

eps200

• View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2009, 05:43:20 AM »
No not on source

dragonsniper

• Nuking a Sathana\'s
    • View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2009, 12:56:10 PM »
Sadly Snail, I don't think so.

shiv

• Earth Defense dude :)
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freespace.pl
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2009, 07:30:18 AM »
It's a sad thing that there's no chance to release it as a standlone modification :(
"Moonred - Hates shivan ships, but is fucking awesome at making them...."
qazwsx

" SF Kobrar_PL
It fires dildo missiles"

cale

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2009, 12:03:58 PM »
Something in which you board a GTI ship and find half of it brutalized by Shivans would be pretty cool too.

dragonsniper

• Nuking a Sathana\'s
    • View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2009, 12:20:15 PM »
Of course, we can take that into consideration. However, absolutely nothing can be guaranteed at the moment. We're still working the storyline out for now.

Snail

• Massive Dickwad
    • View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2009, 10:58:17 PM »
Good luck guys!

Blue Lion

• Higonaut
    • View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2009, 12:53:07 AM »
Is that a photo? Looks real.
Suddenly, and without warning, it became a real life game of Hungry Hungry Hippos