Author Topic: FreeSpace FPS  (Read 15315 times)

dragonsniper

• Nuking a Sathana\'s
    • View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« on: July 29, 2009, 04:51:34 PM »
So, I was looking through the archived area here at GW, and apparently a couple years back, there was a group that were going to create a FPS for FreeSpace. So my question is, who likes or dislikes the idea and why, and what engine would you have it built on if you could have your choice?

shiv

• Earth Defense dude :)
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freespace.pl
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 05:16:45 PM »
I like it a lot, and I'd love to help in this project (can be even hosted at GW). I'd prefer Half-Life 2 engine the most. It has cool physics. Crysis engine would work too, it allows you to pilot spacecraft - look at bsg crysis mod.
"Moonred - Hates shivan ships, but is fucking awesome at making them...."
qazwsx

" SF Kobrar_PL
It fires dildo missiles"

Rodo

• stargazer
    • View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 06:00:37 PM »
are you talking about a first person shooter? or something else maybe?

shiv

• Administrator
    • View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 06:03:40 PM »
Yes. Just like Half-Life, Far Cry, Crysis, Medal of Honor and many others, Rodo.

Personally, I heavily encourage to make a FPS FreeSpace mod with ability to fly fighters. Just a preview of what can be done using Crysis engine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1F6ghLt35s (however I prefer HL2 more for this mod)

I'd love to start a new project with FreeSpace FPS using HL2. Dragonsniper, would you like to? :)
qazwsx

" SF Kobrar_PL
It fires dildo missiles"

dragonsniper

• Nuking a Sathana\'s
    • View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 07:50:08 PM »
Well, I recently got HL2, and am having trouble with Hammer (it's a long learning process so I hear) but once i have it figured out I don't think it will be to hard. I've also been doing a lot of heavy reading about the FS Close-Quarters group from back in 05 and 06. I still have some reading on what their plans were, to see if I can dig out a story or some models that they were working with. I also stumbled across a website from back in '01. The guys that tried doing it then didn't get real far, but they had a lot of weapon specs and other cool stuff (here's the link for those interested in looking.) http://redfaction.volitionwatch.com/fsfps/

I'd love to start a new project with FreeSpace FPS using HL2. Dragonsniper, would you like to?
Yes I would like to. I would like to read on what the other group was doing, and once I have, then I'll see if MatthewPapa will either bring that project back to life, or host a new one.

Opinions and idea's are still welcome. :yes:

shiv

• Administrator
    • View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 08:02:49 PM »
Yes I would like to. I would like to read on what the other group was doing, and once I have, then I'll see if MatthewPapa will either bring that project back to life, or host a new one.

Opinions and idea's are still welcome.

Sounds excellent. You can count on me, however I'd have to learn Hammer too.

I have nothing against ressurecting this project, but propably with other, more exciting name. I think MatthewPappa can set up for us a new board and FTP space to get started. The rest is ours and it includes recruiting people (especially someone who knows already HL2 engine). Recruiting covers: Getting modelers, uvmapers, texturers, music composers (?) - we can still use FS music, that builds atmosphere :D - , and other guys that might be essential for our mod.

We can set first release of the mod in FS1 timeline, but it's up to discussion. Boarding NTF vessels sounds cool too ;)
qazwsx

" SF Kobrar_PL
It fires dildo missiles"

dragonsniper

• Nuking a Sathana\'s
    • View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 09:59:11 PM »
Especially boarding NTV cruisers. And maybe recreating the hallfight...:drevil:

I think that a good place to get people is moddb.com I've been around there for a while, and it seems that loads of people use HL2 to make things. I'll talk to MatthewPapa in a bit about maybe getting something here set up.

dragonsniper

• Nuking a Sathana\'s
    • View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 10:33:31 PM »
Quote from: Rodo;118614
are you talking about a first person shooter? or something else maybe?

I meant a First Person Shooter. I can't see a third person shooter working right now (can't find a good engine to do it on.) Seems to me that the HL2 engine may be the best bet. :)

Mobius

• The Southern Cross
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hard-light.net
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 10:47:03 PM »
The idea is fine, but we lack most of the info we need to create a FPS based on FreeSpace. I mean, all we have as canon reference are some GW Era Terran soldiers and Shivans, with absolutely no references to Vasudans.

This means that the bast majority of the stuff featured in an eventual FPS based on FS would be created from scratch. At this point, I think recreating what we have seen in Hallfight and using it in a game like HL2 would be a better choice...

dragonsniper

• Nuking a Sathana\'s
    • View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 11:02:42 PM »
You're right that we don't have any references (or very very few) that the Vasudans fought on ships hand to hand or used weapons. That would have to be created from scratch. However, Terrans vs Terrans can be done, and possibly Terrans vs Shivans. Obviously the NTV and GTA would have had interior ship battles or land battles, even if it isn't mentioned. Most of it would have to be created from scratch, but I don't see anything wrong with it.

eps200

• View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 06:46:10 PM »
guys this is close to what your asking for it was inspired by free space (and sins of a solar empire) on source engine space combat infantry combat seamless transition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW_-k4i_fsI
http://www.eternal-silence.net/about.php

my favourite game at the moment (got into freespace tio make up for not being able to play ES due to a university firewall

and on a tangent wouldn't be hard to mod that mod into a free space game its a multilayer mod so singleplayer stuff would be hard because no one has codded an ai for in space on the source engine.

Blue Lion

• Higonaut
    • View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 06:53:06 PM »
No Freespace RPG?
Suddenly, and without warning, it became a real life game of Hungry Hungry Hippos

Novachen

• Flying supernova
    • View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 06:26:46 PM »
Instead of Half-Life 2, you can also use Unreal Tournament 3, i think (afaik this is very modable, too)

Sure, i don't like first person shooters, but for UT2004 there were a few total conversions with space- and marine battles in the same mission (like as-mothership in the original game).

Unreal Tournament is build for multiplayer games, but i think you can also create a good sp campaign next to a 64-128 player multiplayer with low ping rates.
I was there, you were there and you should never forget it. GTVA FreeSpace Convention, Paris 2001!
FreeSpace Pilot since 1999 :)

My writing work (all in english and german):
Dark Abyss (2001) - What wll happen thirteen years later, after the neo-terran front come back in service... with the shivans, of course.
At the Edge of the Abyss (2003) - fifteen years after capella the GTVA have to face their annihilation again, and this time... there is no escape.
Fallen Angel (INFR1) (2006) - 32 years have passed since the capella supernova. the GTVA has completed their GTI Melia jumpgate in delta serpentis and reopened the jump node to sol... and fall in war against an enemy named earth alliance. Furthermore... what meaning have those damn strange readings in ross 128?

eps200

• View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 08:17:11 PM »
I haven't actually played UT 2004 got a link to the mod with space and infantry is actualy jump in a ship when ever you want or cut scenes/ set points in the mission

dragonsniper

• Nuking a Sathana\'s
    • View Profile
FreeSpace FPS
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 12:05:57 PM »
1: Going back to eps200's comment. I realize that Eternal Silence is very close to what we want, and it is. However, it's only Multiplayer, and couldn't really deliver any story at all, atleast not as well as single player could. FS-AF is going to have a single player mode, and possibly come with a multi mode also. Thanks for pointing that out though.

2: @BlueLion: Dunno yet.

3: @ Novachen: There was another group of guys that tried to do something similar to this project (we got the idea from them actually :)) and they were using UT04. They got fairly far along, but in the end RL overtook them. I did several weeks of hard research to see which engine would be the best to make this on. After much deliberation, I decided it would be the best on the HL2 engine. The reason being, is that it's very easy to use the map making kit included via a Steam download, and it's very powerful. It's also not to difficult to export any models from Maya 8.0 or (I think) the newest or close to newest version of 3ds Max. And finally, it's very cheap to buy in stores (in North America anyhow.)

I've talked with the other leader of this project, and we both decided that using the HL2 engine would most likely be the best route. The multiplayer is also really good in terms of ping, usually keeping it under 250 for you, even with 64+ players duking it out. If anyone has any other questions, feel free to ask here, or better yet, just create a new topic at the FS-AF board. :)