Author Topic: Question, answer and explaining  (Read 10972 times)

Rodo

• stargazer
    • View Profile
Question, answer and explaining
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2009, 03:59:58 PM »
Quote from: General Battuta;120350
Hrm, that's odd. Try setting all the messages that are sent before the ship's arrival to '#ship name' instead of 'just 'ship name' as the source...but come to think of it that might not do anything if the problem is the send-message-list firing before the ship arrives.

that's what I did in the first place, I just placed the #name of the ship to avoid the linking problem, but the white brackets would not appear and the persona was not loading correctly, so I'm guessing it's got to do with the send message list checking the sources of the messages only when triggered the first time and not every time a new message is sent.

Anyways, I can live with this... I think most players won't even notice this so it's no problem.

thnks GB.

General Battuta

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2009, 06:03:32 PM »
Ah, okay. Well, I believe the #shipname solution will cause the brackets to not appear, so that might be your issue (since technically the ship is not the source; it's a text string or somesuch.)

Mobius

• The Southern Cross
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hard-light.net
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2009, 07:35:48 PM »
As stated above, relying on special sources prevents the white brackets from appearing. I have recently experienced an issue of this kind, and realized that there's no harm in splitting a list of messages into two (each one linked to a specific event), modifying some arrival cues and/or delaying the event (which may not effect message timing if proper intervals between a message and another are set). :)

Thulius

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2009, 09:27:53 PM »
What do I have to change in the Ships.tbl to make the "colored things" of the Leviathan change into Green?

Thanks for your help.:)
"Collossus, what happened?"
"I\'m not sure...I think someone pushed the wrong button!"

"Never, build something like that!"

Mobius

• The Southern Cross
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2009, 09:38:52 PM »
You're refering to the Leviathan's blue maps, right? There are two possible solutions:

1) If you don't have a new ship class in mind, all you need to do is using Texture Replacement (Ship Editor in FRED2 Open). You'll need a green version of the Leviathan's blue maps to do that, though.

2) In case you need a separate ship (Fenris = Red, Leviathan = Blue and YourShip = Green), you don't have to alter the table... all you need is to create a copy of the model, take the blue map, modify it and then reskin the new model. Obviously, that model should have its own entry in ships.tbl.

:)

Thulius

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2009, 09:53:34 PM »
Yeah, I was referring to them. Sorry, I didn't know how they were called. :o

I think I'll try the first option. It sounds way easier.:devel: I think I've got an idea of a map, which looks Vasudan take it and replace it with the old one. I'll show you a Screenshot soon!:)

Thank you for the help, Mobius.

EDIT: Found it.:)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 09:58:21 PM by Thulius »

Mobius

• The Southern Cross
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2009, 10:01:55 PM »
No problem. Ask whenever you have a question. :)

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2009, 04:57:33 AM »
Quote from: Mobius;120403
2) In case you need a separate ship (Fenris = Red, Leviathan = Blue and YourShip = Green), you don't have to alter the table... all you need is to create a copy of the model, take the blue map, modify it and then reskin the new model. Obviously, that model should have its own entry in ships.tbl.

From what I understand this isn't necessary. I believe there is a way to define texture replacements in the ships.tbl for a class using the same .pof.

IIRC this is what is/will be done with ships like the Bastion and Galatea in FS Port.

Of course this could be a planned feature that hasn't been implemented yet. :)

FreeSpaceF

• Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2009, 06:30:14 AM »
There's a Levy with greenish maps in Shivans! , you could just rip that off.

Thulius

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2009, 02:32:33 PM »
Quote from: FreeSpaceF;120421
There's a Levy with greenish maps in Shivans! , you could just rip that off.

Oh, yeah I remember them. Thanks for the tip. I'll use it.:)

Another very stupid question is: How to make Red Alert mission? I didn't found anything in the FRED-Help. And I know, that it has something to do with the Event "Red Alert".

Rodo

• stargazer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2009, 03:33:13 PM »
well red alert is kinda tabu.. I have not found any data about it on the wiki (could be me searching badly) but from what I've been seeying on BP missions, the red alert must be activated on the mission options, then you need to check on every ship you want to carry the red alert status the mark on the "misc" section of every ship.

this I cannot confirm right now, not near any fred to check :S

Mobius

• The Southern Cross
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2009, 04:22:21 PM »
Well, my approach on Red Alert missions is cautious. As karajorma stated in a thread on HLP, the main FS2 campaign was initially supposed to have two more red alert missions. The main reason why we have only one of them is simple: balance.

So, before creating a red alert mission, considerate the alternatives. Variables and the end-mission/force-jump SEXPs are powerful enough to represent a quasi-red alert effect without risking to experience balance issues.

karajorma: I remember Goober claiming that the re-release of ST:R would make use of a feature of that kind, but I haven't found any documentation yet. Using the table entry to handle texture replacements will be very nice, IMO. :)

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2009, 12:25:50 AM »
Red alerts are pretty easy. Select all the ships you want to appear in the second mission. Give them Red Alert Carry Status from the ship flags editor. Then when you are at the point in the mission you want it to end simply use the Red Alert SEXP.

Then in mission 2 make sure you have all the same ship names that you used the carry status for.

Mobius

• The Southern Cross
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2009, 12:40:15 AM »
Please forgive the off-topic question, but have all red alert bugs been terminated by the SCP? It's been a while since I FREDded a red alert, and things weren't encouraging back then.

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2009, 12:49:01 AM »
No idea. I would have thought so since nothing appears in Mantis with a priority flag.