Poll

What resolution do you use to browse the web?

00x600
1 (2.5%)
024x768
7 (17.5%)
280x720
5 (12.5%)
280x1024
13 (32.5%)
600x1200
6 (15%)
920x1080
3 (7.5%)
920x1200
5 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: Site Survey  (Read 40906 times)

Axem

• MRRFR MRRF!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sectorgame.com/axem/
Site Survey
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2009, 10:39:37 PM »
Quote from: Mobius;118742
Another thing: when considering the formation of a new staff, IMHO it'd be better to see give important roles to "new faces" instead of having the same people playing the same roles throughout multiple fanbases (Shiv's promotion to admin, for example, I something I really liked). Variety is good and brings many benefits with it. Antitrust-based proposal? Not really.

Eh? Care to give an example? The only person of power common to HLP and GW is karajorma. I may be a global moderator here and a moderator at HLP too, but my "area of influence" at HLP is the FRED board and the Diaspora board. Hardly a position of power.

Mobius

• The Southern Cross
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hard-light.net
Site Survey
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2009, 10:53:18 PM »
There's nothing wrong with you, really. My point is that IMHO (no offense to anyone) it'd be better to have new faces like Shiv leading the site instead of promoting, let's say, General Battuta to global moderator on this site as well. There's nothing wrong in the people themselves (please take this into account before replying to my post), but an Antitrust touch would boost variety throughout FreeSpace fanbases. Let Karajorma be the only exception to the rule (since it's quite absurd to ask an administrator to resign for questionable Antitrust purposes). Obviously, this is just my suggestion in a thread devoted to suggestions, so what I'm doing here is posting what I would like to see. No one is obliged to accept my opinion.

Yet another disclaimer: no offense to anyone.

EDIT: Speaking of additions, is it possible to add a "delete" option to cancel posts? Double posters (like me, in the previous page) may wish to copy the content of a post, delete the old post and then create a new one. That's what I wanted to do, but I couldn't due to the lack of a dedicated option. Is adding it doable?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 10:57:02 PM by Mobius »

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Site Survey
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2009, 10:58:39 PM »
We'll promote whoever would do a good job in the role. Feel free to come up with some names of people who would do a good job who aren't already moderating on HLP though.

Mobius

• The Southern Cross
    • View Profile
Site Survey
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2009, 11:02:00 PM »
Snail has moderation powers on FS Modding... does his condition qualify him as a potential candidate?

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Site Survey
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2009, 11:06:38 PM »
Snail being Snail disqualifies him.

MatthewPapa

• GWBB Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.game-warden.com/
Site Survey
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2009, 11:47:20 PM »
the only reason it may seem like (its not true though, see below) the same people have power everywhere is because those people genuinely do a good/sufficient job at whatever they are supposed to be doing. They are well respected and liked in the community, as well as trusted. You cant get any position anywhere without those qualities both on the internets and real life. They have earned these titles.

I really have to disagree with the fact Kara is an admin here is a conflict of interest. There are so many reasons that is wrong. People are not put into power because they are those people. They are put there to fulfill a responsibility.

For instance when I disappear for a few weeks (like I seem to do sometimes due to RL, unfortunately) Kara and Dabrain take charge with the rest of the staff and satisfy all of the project requests. If they didnt do shit I doubt that they would be admins much longer. Since they do do that I am very very very thankful. Without them I dont know where we would be today. Stuff like that garners respect and trust.

Another example
Me: I am not an admin at HLP. I dont plan on becoming or trying to become one either. I am here where I am because I started this place, help pay for the server, have it registered under my name and tend to the Adsense. It is my responsibility to make sure that this place and HLP dont suddenly turn off and stay off. I feel indebted to this community for what it has done for me so I do what I must to ensure its survival.

(hopefully these examples make at least a little sense to you)

I picked shiv because he had enthusiasm and talent that was being untapped. I saw potential and I felt I could trust him due to his standing with everyone in the community. I didnt pick shiv just because he was shiv (sorry shiv :) )

Mobius

• The Southern Cross
    • View Profile
Site Survey
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2009, 07:17:02 PM »
The following lines represent the point of view of a single member who's willing to come out with proposals. No one is forced to accept them, and no one is obliged to read my post. All indirect references to specific members of the community are not meant to be used as offenses, but rather as examples. For this reason, no nicknames will be specified.

I've always liked Game Warden, so I think I have the right to post suggestions just like anyone else.

MatthewPapa, you have a point in your latest post... but having the same people doing the same things all over FreeSpace fanbases has its pros an cons: skilled people are a real boost to a site and the fact that they work for other sites should not be a real problem, but at that point you'd have to deal with the logic consequences. Any personal issue with a given person becomes a big deal which is instantly extended to the other fanbases. I've noticed people willing to ruin other simply because they have influence in several sites and can use the influence in a convenient way. Is that good? I don't think it is. There shouldn't be any "untouchable" people in the FreeSpace community, and anyone's action may be questioned if necessary. It's statistically impossible for the people high in ranks to be always right, so the last thing I would like to see here is the outstanding influence of "untouchables" who ruin all members who don't agree with them. That said, no one here is asking for a radical change to the site's ranks and internal structure - what I'm saying is that newly promoted people should be "new faces" who don't have any major roles in other FreeSpace fanbases. A replica of HLP/SG's rankings is not going to help Game Warden nor is going to help FreeSpace modding. In my honest opinion, it's unconceivable to eyewitness domino effects which damage members in an exaggerate way without reacting. I consider Shiv a superb example of "new face", and I really hope that he will do a great job here.

And now, the other sites. What makes FSMods and SG so nice to visit? Due to my personal experience, it's the fact that we see different people there (and even the people we usually see elsewhere appear different, if you get what I mean). Also, each site's characteristics (which are the result of the choice of various people) boost variety and lead certain people to prefer a site over the others.

If we want GW to rise, we need to take the good from the other FreeSpace fanbases and forget considering the bad. For instance, I think we should stick with the current Custom Title system instead of importing the one used on HLP (that system picks up random moments of a given member's life on the forums and marks them with embarassing/annoying results, and also tends to gratify people who do notable things - which temporarily attract the community's attention - and then disappear). Many members are pissed off at certain aspects of HLP's life - I've been talking to quite a few of them (who, unlike me, don't like making their opinions public) via IM programs and noticed that I'm not alone in considering HLP a sinking ship which has negatively changed in the past few months. For obvious reasons, I'm not going to reveal their names (as I said above, no names will be mentioned in this post for the sake of respect and for the purpose of keeping this a suggestion post instead of turning it into an actual complaint). Any replies to what I said here should be sent via PM (we need to remain on topic here) - in that case, expect a reasonable reply.

Additionally, I noticed that the new version of Game Warden is very similar to an Italian forum I'm a proud member of. The site use pretty much the same characteristics, and because I noticed personal blogs in that forum I was wondering if the same settings may be added to Game Warden. No, I don't have a Facebook/MySpace style in mind... but rather a series of blogs focused on FreeSpace modding&gaming with a few references to our personal lives here and there. It's something the other fanbases don't have, so adding it to Game Warden would be a nice idea (IMHO). Each member would have his/her own blog in which all major achievements/intents related to modding can be added. Additionally, other members will have the opportunity of engaging the others in peaceful discussions throughout the blogs. I know this may sound stupid, but I've seen these blogs working nicely - people add reviews, personal thoughts, reports specifying what they're currently playing and how they're playing it, etc. etc. In any case, I think this would fit with GW's philosophy.

It's also important to host new projects and bring here more people. I don't know how far I'm going to get with Colony Wars SCP (be advised it's still a temporary name), but I really hope to muster additional modellers and get the total conversion hosted here on Game Warden. My personal choice, which has been greatly accepted by the modeller who created the Navy Frigate (Matt, you know what I'm refering to), is obviously intended to support Game Warden and make the site more popular. Other teams may get full advantage of GW hosting and bring additional life to it.

Speaking of hosting, I think we should make the difference between hosted campaigns (which may or may not make use of exclusive stuff) and pure mods/total conversions. While the former type may not need a specific boards, the other should make use of them as usual. The example I can provide is The Procyon Insurgency, which is hosted at HLP even if there's nothing more than a release thread related to it.

I wish MatthewPapa to take in consideration what I posted here, and in case anyone needs more info I'd be more than glad to reply here or via PM.

EDIT: Is GW in need of donations? If things are promising I may donate money. :)

Just my 0.2€.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 07:25:25 PM by Mobius »

MatthewPapa

• GWBB Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Site Survey
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2009, 07:39:26 PM »
Quote from: Mobius;118785

Additionally, I noticed that the new version of Game Warden is very similar to an Italian forum I'm a proud member of. The site use pretty much the same characteristics, and because I noticed personal blogs in that forum I was wondering if the same settings may be added to Game Warden. No, I don't have a Facebook/MySpace style in mind... but rather a series of blogs focused on FreeSpace modding&gaming with a few references to our personal lives here and there. It's something the other fanbases don't have, so adding it to Game Warden would be a nice idea (IMHO). Each member would have his/her own blog in which all major achievements/intents related to modding can be added. Additionally, other members will have the opportunity of engaging the others in peaceful discussions throughout the blogs. I know this may sound stupid, but I've seen these blogs working nicely - people add reviews, personal thoughts, reports specifying what they're currently playing and how they're playing it, etc. etc. In any case, I think this would fit with GW's philosophy.

Yes this style is used at several sites on the internet, and I happen to know exactly which forum you are talking about. It was however, heavily modified for our uses before I considered using it. The template was available free on vbulletin.org if anyone is interested.

I will look into the blog software addon...

Mobius

• The Southern Cross
    • View Profile
Site Survey
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2009, 07:42:29 PM »
Since when you visit Italian forums? ;)

If you want, I may post a thread there and ask the staff to give us hints (in case we need them, of course).

MatthewPapa

• GWBB Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Site Survey
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2009, 07:56:14 PM »
no dont bother contacting them. The only reason I have been there is I wanted to see what someone else had done with the template for some ideas.

that software cost $60. After what I have paid for the board's software license already: no thanks. It didnt even look that intuitive. I think we need activity before we can consider an investment like that anyways

I think I can find something that is free that is better...

Mobius

• The Southern Cross
    • View Profile
Site Survey
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2009, 08:01:47 PM »
The cheaper and effective the solution is, the better. :)

EDIT: Oh, I get the connections between FFO and GW... FFO has an American server and the mighty Austin is mentioned on the site. Quite interesting. :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 08:05:34 PM by Mobius »

General Battuta

• View Profile
Site Survey
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2009, 08:55:38 PM »
Mobius, you are an odd duck, given that Hard Light is apparently doing better than ever in terms of activity, new members, and quality of tech support and content.

And I just want to second MatthewPapa's remarks about why so many community members are shared between sites: they genuinely earned their positions and the respect that is accorded them.

As for helping out GameWarden, I think more interactivity between GW and Hard Light might help out. Why not post an announcement over at Hard Light about the existence and purpose of GameWarden?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 09:00:28 PM by General Battuta »

MatthewPapa

• GWBB Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Site Survey
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2009, 09:09:07 PM »
I appreciate the input GB

Actually GW has been announced before on HLP, and I would have assumed most people there knew about this place by now. Do you think otherwise? I am curious...

If not I definitely want to pimp out SoL and ED, again
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 09:22:40 PM by MatthewPapa »

Mobius

• The Southern Cross
    • View Profile
Site Survey
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2009, 09:13:43 PM »
I guess you didn't get my point, Battuta, because I'm pretty sure of what I noticed when talking to other members via IM... and quite honestly, I didn't invent anything from scratch. Things always appear nice if contrasting voices are silenced and/or are not made public, so I don't really understand the first part of your post. If you want, we may discuss that in private and prevent this thread from derailing (it's focused on GW's upgrades).

About your proposal: HLPers are well aware of GW's existence, it's just that GW is not as crowded as HLP and many projects of public interest like the SCP and FSU are hosted at HLP. More active projects here would mean more activity, so I guess GW's staff should be focusing on hosted projects to resurrect the boards. I hope to help with CW SCP but I can't promise anything yet.

EDIT: Good point, MatthewPapa. Pimping Shadows of Lylat and Earth Defense may be a very good idea, IMO.

The E

• His Majesty
    • View Profile
Site Survey
« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2009, 10:40:13 PM »
Now I'm seriously curious. Where is all this oppression on HLP? Is it because people who annoy Moderators and/or Administrators get a slap on the wrist every now and then? Last time I checked, that was a big no-no on ANY moderated forum.
As for dissenting voices being silenced, where and when did that happen? Any mass thread deletions I am unaware of? Any unwritten rules about not voicing your disagreements in public? If there are that many people who feel that HLP is going downhill, why aren't they saying it somewhere where the general population of HLP can see it and discuss it?

Seriously, online communities change over time, as new members come in and old ones leave. Labeling that change as bad just because it happens sounds pretty stupid to me.
Proud member of the Blue Planet, Project MULTI and FreeSpace Upgrade teams
Second-in-command of the HLP support ninjas.