Author Topic: BSG CGI designer reveals battlestar sizes  (Read 3244 times)

Werthead

• View Profile
BSG CGI designer reveals battlestar sizes
« on: April 12, 2009, 12:28:43 AM »
There has never been a solid answer on how long the Galactica and Pegasus are, at least until now. On his blog, CGI designer Mojo reveals the sizes of the two ships:

Galactica: 1.445km/4,740 feet/0.89 mile
Pegasus: 1.790km/5,872 feet/1.11 miles

So there you go.
Visit The Wertzone for all your SF&F Needs

cobywan

• View Profile
    • http://home.comcast.net/~cobywan/mypage.html
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 01:49:19 AM »
Lee Stringer posted the sizes of many ships, minus Pegasus shortly after season one premiered.

Thanks for the site link.

David cgc

• View Profile
    • http://web.mac.com/david_of_mac/
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 02:52:33 PM »
And, since someone will be curious, here are the sizes Lee Stringer posted, as he posted them.

There seems to be a little confusion out there about the correct sizes of the various ships. I know I've been meaning to measure the BSG for some time, so I finally did :-)
I also did the Basestar and I'll do the other ASAP (really).

Battlestar
Width (Pods out) 536.84m (Pods In) 352.34m
Engines Max 359.38m Head Max 334.58m
Length: Front (Main body) 730.65m (Antenee) 766.04m Back 672.6m
(using the center of the two arms as the middle)
Height (Armor/Mainbody) 181.825m (Details) 183.315m

Basestar
Width: 1030.69m
Length: 856.1m (two arm side) + 1039.87m (single arm side)
Height: 132.586m (Each Piece), 265.172m Total

Next ones (see that didn't take long :-))
IMPORTANT NOTE: These are from the CGI models NOT the fullsize props. Although measurements etc. where taken of the full size props and the CGIs made from that, it doesn't mean they match 100%

Raptor
Width: 5.472m
Length: (Main Body) 8.488m, (with Front Equipment) 8.694m
Height: 3.5695m

Viper Mk2
Width: 4.7168m
Length: 8.4082m
Height: 2.7247m

Viper Mk7
Width: 5.61m
Length: 9.8643m
Height: 2.9508m

This was posted in the middle of 2005, so the Viper Mark VII is the original, not the Maelstrom retcon. The size for the basestar should be accurate for both versions, since that redesign only altered the surface details and not the overall shape of the ship.
“Just as a fun exercise, imagine what a bunch of hot chicks would think if they were reading this thread over your shoulder. I like to do that from time to time.”
Samuel T. Cogley

Werthead

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 11:05:14 PM »
700m seems awfully small for the length of Galactica, and unlike the basestar and the Viper, I don't believe any changes were done to the CGI model from the pilot through to the finale, aside from the battle damage. And these were the 'latest' figures taken straight off the CGI artists who worked on the last two seasons. Maybe Zoic was working to a different idea (Lee Stringer was a Zoic animator, right?) than Gary Hutzel's team?
Visit The Wertzone for all your SF&F Needs

Snagger

• View Profile
    • http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 08:32:00 AM »
700m is way too small - just think of the scene in the Mini where Lee first arrives at the Galactica, which was seemingly shot just to establish the enormity of the ship.  Any shot of a Viper and a landing bay suggests the bays are about 700m long (roughly double the size of a Nimitz class CVN, anyway).

Given that Lee's cap ship figures are out by a factor of 100% (ie, need to be increased by 100% to reach the correct value), it unfortunately casts doubt on the small ship dimensions' accuracy.
something I do understand;)  : http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk

cobywan

• View Profile
    • http://home.comcast.net/~cobywan/mypage.html
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 01:23:45 AM »
The Galactica in the Stringer listing is confusing.  You have to add together the front and rear measurments to get the size.

Jangiri

• Cybran Nugget
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 04:17:53 AM »
is it just me or have the other ships in the RTF changed in size more than the battlestars. the botanical cruiser and the Zephyr are two ships that in the first seasons were dwarfed by the galactica and in pictures from season 4 are almost as big as the galactica and basestar
My name is Inigo Montoya you killed my father prepare to die

TESLA

• Fire and Ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 04:50:44 PM »
Quote from: Jangiri;114377
is it just me or have the other ships in the RTF changed in size more than the battlestars. the botanical cruiser and the Zephyr are two ships that in the first seasons were dwarfed by the galactica and in pictures from season 4 are almost as big as the galactica and basestar

Trouble with the space time continuum
True religion is real living; living with all one\'s soul, with all one\'s goodness and righteousness
-Albert Einstein

Don’t be afraid to try anything once! Remember amateurs built the Ark, professionals built Titanic

YIIMM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 04:29:03 PM »
Quote from: Jangiri;114377

From memory, Zephyr's always been that big (probably the largest civvy ship), but I know what you mean about the botanical cruiser, for example:

Daybreak 2 spoilers ahead:

[spoiler] Watch the first few seconds of this video, this is just before Galactica makes the jump to the Colony. I thought I had my sense of perspective all worked out, and then it turns out that Galatica is in front of the botanical cruiser. Sort of felt weird to watch the first time around.[/spoiler]

David cgc

• View Profile
    • http://web.mac.com/david_of_mac/
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 06:47:17 PM »
While unlikely, that could be a compositing error. The Botanical Cruiser might've been in front of Galactica in the original 3D scene, but since they generally render each ship separately, it might've been put below Galactica when the assembled the shot, either accidentally or so that it wouldn't obscure the Galactica as she made her turn.
“Just as a fun exercise, imagine what a bunch of hot chicks would think if they were reading this thread over your shoulder. I like to do that from time to time.”
Samuel T. Cogley

Jangiri

• Cybran Nugget
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 08:17:06 PM »
that is exactly what i was talking about. but here's what i mean with the Zephyr. ignore the floating house in the front.
My name is Inigo Montoya you killed my father prepare to die

YIIMM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 08:52:13 AM »
I don't see any discrepancies, to be honest. One image seems to be a screencap from series 1/2, and the other seems to be a diorama using unmodified models (Galactica doesn't even have a dent from the nuke).

In both of those the model for Zephyr would probably be the same. In the screencap one, the fleet looks to be much more spread out. You can see a mining ship that looks comparitively tiny, and two Celestras, one seeming much bigger than the other.

[ATTACH]4814[/ATTACH]

To sum it up

Cl1nt

• Cheesy Oneliner, B1tches.
    • View Profile
    • http://frakturedreality.ismywebsite.com
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 01:16:58 PM »
lee stringers picture has a number of ships I've never seen before.
Or something.

There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality

combat

• Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 08:26:42 PM »
Hey, did anyone else notice that the pegasus is about the same size as the truth and reconciliation from halo
Tomorrow The End of the World
Next tuesday Bingo