Author Topic: BSG 419 - Daybreak, Part I  (Read 4213 times)

Werthead

• View Profile
BSG 419 - Daybreak, Part I
« on: March 14, 2009, 09:52:53 AM »
Interesting episode. I think it is worth bearing in mind that the whole finale was originally a single two-hour special, and this was the first part of it. By expanding to three hours, this first section simply got lopped off and stuck out by itself without even a cliffhanger. So it doesn't work well by itself (take the first 20 minutes of the uncut version of 'Pegasus' and see how well it stands by itself). But as the first movement of a bigger story, it is exceptional.

The opening, with the shot of the whole Galaxy and then Caprica, was stunning. I've heard people asking what the CGI team will be doing on CAPRICA since they don't have that many space shots. Well, I guess they answered that with this episode. The shots of Caprica City were absolutely stunning. Looks like that when RDM told the effects team to hold back all the big stuff for the finale, he wasn't kidding.

Mary McDonnell was on top form in this episode. Tough but emotionally scarred as well. Seeing Lee and Zak together was cool, along with Lee and Starbuck's first meeting. Baltar and his dad were amusing, and Six's actions for his father were interesting, although how much of it was motivated by compassion and how much by her need to ingratiate herself in Baltar's life is debatable (Tricia Helfer does a stunning job slipping back into the ways of the 'old' Six from the mini-series).

The present-day stuff was a bit more predictable in terms of events, but even mundane scenes like Adama packing up his belongings and Fed-Exing them to the baseship were well-done. I hope they didn't get around to stripping out the accelerators from the Viper launch tubes, though. I'm guessing Galactica is going to need them next week.

Anders saying something interesting: "Slip the bonds of Earth...find a perfect world for the end of Kara Thrace." He's going to find a new world for Starbuck and, by extension, the rest of humanity?

One thing that is lame: are they really going with the explanation given in the mini-series novelization that Baltar was so embarrassed at forgetting Six's cover name he never asked her about it again in the following two years?

Adama's speech was well-done, and the people choosing sides (by crossing the red line) and notably Baltar not doing the same. There was also a nice bit of business in how they showed Adama's plan, with Tory and Ellen discussing it during a casual stroll down the corridor and Lee authorising the release of the prisoners. Skulls and Racetrack having another recon mission was also funny (and vital: it seems that no important planet or facility can ever be found in the series unless Racetrack is leading the recon).

So next week they let slip the dogs of war. Interesting to see how RDM's promised final revelations about Starbuck, Hera, the Head-People and the Opera House come out in the story because it looks like a fairly straightforward action story taking us straight to the resolution. But I'm sure he has a few tricks up his sleeve.
Visit The Wertzone for all your SF&F Needs

combat

• Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 01:35:12 PM »
well, its looks to be a good battle galactica aganist the the cylon fleet and colony while being tron apart by a black hole
Tomorrow The End of the World
Next tuesday Bingo

Nuke

• Slacker
    • View Profile
    • http://www.game-warden.com/nukemod-cos/
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 02:09:44 PM »
after an hour of getting their asses kicked and things blowing up a massive deus ex machina will occure and everyone will be happy.

on the other hand im kinda hoping the universe implodes.
Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of the human mind

Ender

• Imperious leador
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 04:56:08 PM »
i'm not looking forward to next weeks episode, sure it's gonna be amazing but once it's over thats it, no more galactica. it's not like we're waiting for the next season or the end of a break but thats it, over.

sure theirs the plan and caprica but really it's not gonna be the same and i'm gonna be really gutted after it's over, i mean what can we watch, Stargates gone, Star trek's gone, now battlestar. theirs nothing on sci fi any more.

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 07:28:22 PM »
Quote from: Nuke;113335
after an hour of getting their asses kicked and things blowing up a massive deus ex machina will occure and everyone will be happy.

You're obviously confusing the BSG finale with the DS9 one. :p

Jangiri

• Cybran Nugget
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 07:31:24 PM »
actually me thinks that this last episode will be more of the climax other than the actual end of the show. i think we will find out so much more in the plan than this last episode. cause we all know at least half of it has to be a space battle. also to many questions. what is six still doing in baltars head. for fraks sake we want answers.!!!
My name is Inigo Montoya you killed my father prepare to die

Jangiri

• Cybran Nugget
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 07:33:30 PM »
anyone notice that all of the new movies on sci-fi are terrible. why don't they make a miniseries of foundation or something
My name is Inigo Montoya you killed my father prepare to die

combat

• Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 09:22:38 PM »
well a new version of stargate comes out soon along with some movies... i think
Tomorrow The End of the World
Next tuesday Bingo

Talchar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 09:54:20 PM »
With the singularity I fear a giant time loop coming. "All this has happened before and will happen again."

Galactica get the crap blown out of it. In desperation Anders Jump's Galactica while too close to the singularity, causing Galactica and the survivors to go back in time. They crash on Earth, and the cycle begins again.

DogStar

• Who?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 01:41:03 AM »
Over bloated crock of sh*t.

Thats my verdict.  Bring on next week.

Ender

• Imperious leador
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 06:53:45 AM »
Quote from: DogStar;113359
Over bloated crock of sh*t.

Thats my verdict.  Bring on next week.

What excatily didnt you like about the episode

Wolfy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 11:34:23 AM »
Quote from: Talchar;113349
With the singularity I fear a giant time loop coming. "All this has happened before and will happen again."

Galactica get the crap blown out of it. In desperation Anders Jump's Galactica while too close to the singularity, causing Galactica and the survivors to go back in time. They crash on Earth, and the cycle begins again.

Technically, for that theory, they would need to go to Kobol rather than Earth :P. Also, they would need the rest of the fleet (including baseship) to have any really viable chance of species survival
Wolfy is bored
Wolfy is tired
Wolfy will bite you

KewlToyZ

• View Profile
    • http://www.kewltoyz.com
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 01:52:44 PM »
I found this latest episode interesting. Some scenes were really well done.
I dont know how they can close the gaps properly in 2 hrs.
But I have to see it like a train wreck.

I wonder if Sci Fi is going to find a decent vehicle after this?
Caprica will have some nuances, but it isn't going to be the same.

An entirely new series needs to be brought out.
Farscape was definitive.
But a Fighter based space series is going to need some new concepts presented for any success.
Difficult but not impossible.
It is hard not to recognize the over all theme of humanity integrating with their technology at some point.
Will people always think of Cylons & Terminators in the sci-fi gendre if this concept is brought about in another series?

The only remakes I can think of not touched with the latest tech is Buck Rodgers...
"Beedee beedee beedee... sorry about that Buck."
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 01:56:08 PM by KewlToyZ »
Nothing bothers me I\'m already disturbed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TESLA

• Fire and Ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009, 03:14:21 PM »
Galactica for a head on collison into the colony? Both end up in the singularity????

Maybe the Colony is where Kara Thrace ended up. John found her.........

Frak it, soon all will revelaed...

It better! if not im going to hunt down the producers of the show!!

Wonder if we will actually get abit of happiness in this show for once,
kind of feel good factor like when Apollo blew up the Cylon mine followed by the song "Wander My Friends" in season one....
True religion is real living; living with all one\'s soul, with all one\'s goodness and righteousness
-Albert Einstein

Donít be afraid to try anything once! Remember amateurs built the Ark, professionals built Titanic

swashmebuckle

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 06:52:44 PM »
Quote from: Werthead;113327

Anders saying something interesting: "Slip the bonds of Earth...find a perfect world for the end of Kara Thrace." He's going to find a new world for Starbuck and, by extension, the rest of humanity?

"Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth" is a line from the poem "High Flight", written by a fighter pilot in 1941.  Definitely BSG-appropriate stuff:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Flight