Author Topic: Mods - Vasudans and Shivans  (Read 33640 times)

Snail

• Massive Dickwad
    • View Profile
Mods - Vasudans and Shivans
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 10:27:29 PM »
Quote from: shiv;111323
I hope so. FreeSpace without Vasudans don't have classic feeling of original Volition campaigns.
Thing is AoA wasn't a classic campaign in the traditional sense. It focused a lot more on other things.

shiv

• Earth Defense dude :)
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freespace.pl
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 10:41:28 PM »
Well, that new atmosphere didn't fit FS universe well. I felt like playing non-FS game.
I prefer more FreeSpace atmosphere instead. With all three species including vasudans :P
"Moonred - Hates shivan ships, but is fucking awesome at making them...."
qazwsx

" SF Kobrar_PL
It fires dildo missiles"

Snail

• Massive Dickwad
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 10:49:49 PM »
IMO BP was excellent, in a different way.

peterv

• Veteran my ***
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2009, 07:42:12 AM »
I'll tell you wy there are not to many Vasudan fighters: Cockpits. If my bosses in ED won't let me add litle Vasudan dudes inside them i'll keep doing only Terran ones.
This is a serious statement. :pimp:

shiv

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2009, 09:40:38 AM »
You may feel free to add cockipts for Vasudans in ED :D
qazwsx

" SF Kobrar_PL
It fires dildo missiles"

Snail

• Massive Dickwad
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2009, 05:38:46 PM »
Oi. Aren't you supposed to be doing Shivans? :P

shiv

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2009, 06:01:18 PM »
I think that's internal matter, Snail :P
qazwsx

" SF Kobrar_PL
It fires dildo missiles"

CipNug

• View Profile
Mods Vasudans and Shivans
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2009, 10:14:40 PM »
Could someone maybe add a bit of guide to this thread about all them common files and what naming conventions should be used for them and so on to avoid clashes when used in campaigns. Think Langly or Scrupus knows most about this stuff.

Mav

• \'nother Shivan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2009, 02:12:08 AM »
Hmm, should I ever get done creating the necessary models, I might try to make a campaign myself - actually I have a (only roughly detailed) background story since several years, and the FS-ships I'm modeling are thought for that storyline...

About a third to a quarter or so of the campaign should be told from the Vasudan side, though I admittedly haven't started on their ships yet :nervous: .
(needlessly to say, considering my sig, us' Shivans will also play a role a good deal of the time :devel: )

As for Shivan ships, I hope to continue my SB Inferno soon.

... and obviously, that campaign I'm thinking of is my view of the post-Capella storyline. Ahem - yap, guilty so to say :shaking: ;) .

And yep, it propably is too much for handling it alone (and I'd also need to create ships for at least 2 completely new species - *ugh* :shaking: ). But I don't feel like starting a team while I have yet so little done, also coordinating a team would take up a bit too much time for me currently, and additionally I do have some viewpoints implemented in the story-concept that many people might not like (e.g. Earth isn't necessarily well at the end of the campaign's story...) .
Though, that concept isn't exactly final yet.

Actually, I initially even wanted to make it a multi-side multiplayer campaign, but I now think that would likely cause a good deal TOO many branchings... :( - As well as propably spoiling some or even all surprises - it wouldn't exactly have been that great if you'd have played Shivans the first time you played FS, totally spoiling all mysteries; now would it?? ;) :biggrin1:

Anyway, as stated above I am nowhere near far enough for this to really be considered a project yet, so propably back on topic:

Yes, I too think that campaigns should keep both Shivans and Vasudans included in interesting ways.

Think about it - the thing that makes FS' story stand out is that the Shivans are NOT just evil swarmers flooding the galaxy and killing everyone else.
They DO cause lots of havoc, but that certainly isn't their main purpose, as both the ancient-cutscenes in FS1 and the "disappearing" of the Sathanas-fleet at the end of FS2 are showing, as well as the fact that humans&Vasudans could rise up at all after the Shivans already visited "known space" (sorry, I didn't want to connect this to Niven's book-series, but it seems to be the most fitting word), wiping out the ancients.

As for the Vasudans, they originally were enemies of the GTA in a very long-drawn war that was initially caused by cultural differences, so to say. AND they had those weird HoL-prophecies that somehow might connect them to the ancients.
So just using them as cannon-fodder-wingmen isn't really the best way to fit a story into the FS-universe, I'd guess...
Location: Shivan Fleet, Interstellar Space... now you\'d like to know between WHICH stellar systems, wouldn\'t you? :ha: ;) :devel:

(only joking, of course - estimates are always welcome, though people should know they\'re just that :) )

Hades

• Earth-Defense IRC dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2009, 02:21:12 AM »
Quote from: shiv;111315
Hey. About BluePlanet. It's a big shame that Darius forgot about the Vasudans.
It actually made sense that they didn't sortie any Vasudans through the Sol gate. There might be a poor reaction from the Terrans in Sol if they see Vasudans coming through.

Also, it is the Terran's homesystem, after all.

starlord

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2009, 06:49:36 PM »
Hey mav, should you be interested, I suppose that some mods/campaigns could still like to use the nightmares... Unfortunately, their fleet needs a little expanding since the lost souls incident (what a shame!)...

Mav

• \'nother Shivan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2009, 09:06:03 PM »
Erm... sorry - I haven't played too many user-made missions yet; actually only a part of the Inferno campaign and something else that is so old I can't really remember it.
So - from what mod is that "lost souls incident"?

And well, ... Other than that, I think I know the ships that are called "Nightmares" around here (I've been on a lookout for ship downloads a long time, though not during the last years), and though they seem nice, I currently don't know where to fit them into my storyline.

Actually I already do have my own (well, somewhat) concepts in mind for my new species - the problem is that I'll need to model them first, and I currently don't have too many time & nerves left besides RL(tm) .

As for this "somewhat"... :
There are also some Volition-sketches that I'd like to implement, specifically those which are listed here as "GVF Sentait", "GTC Caucasus" and the "Vasudan Super Carrier" .
I just don't really like the way the first two are assigned and done there - especially the concept that is called "GVF Sentait" there, is, in my opinion, fitting to neither Terran, Vasudan nor Shivan design lines (basicly, it resembles a cross-over from a hawk and a squid...) . Which is why I'd want to use it for one of my additional species.

Do you eventually know where I could find pics of the other two versions of the "Sentait" that are mentioned there? It'd save me some time if I only had to retexture it, but Venom's version that is shown there is too stretched for my liking...

I recently finally got an idea for a carrier that might fit to it design-wise, but given the unique design of the "Sentait", it's somewhat hard to think of more ships that share this style.

My second new species should get a completely new style, at least for it's fighters (roughly after a hammerhead shark).
About the capships I'm not yet sure, but initially I had intended something resembling the Son'a ships from Star Trek 9 - I quite like these designs :) .

I also had thought of a single model for a third species, which would roughly cross avian features with the features of a swimming bear... now DON'T you laugh, it's only a crude description! ;)
Though seeing said bear in some documentary actually was the initial inspiration for the design, I admit :D .

And the Dragon2 from my littleSomthing-thread would actually be for a supplementary 4th species, with others possibly following sometime.

As for the "Caucasus", the model there does look good, it's just that I'd like to use it for a Shivan fighter...
But still, do you have any clues who made the model that's pictured there?

I think I remember seeing a development thread for a model of this Vasudan Super Carrier over on HLP at some point of time, but I didn't bookmark it and don't really know how it turned out in the end...

[/offtopic]
Oh well, sorry for that long answer, I didn't really intend for it to become that long. :(

« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 09:08:06 PM by Mav »
Location: Shivan Fleet, Interstellar Space... now you\'d like to know between WHICH stellar systems, wouldn\'t you? :ha: ;) :devel:

(only joking, of course - estimates are always welcome, though people should know they\'re just that :) )