Author Topic: Game not opening, OSX  (Read 1871 times)

Pfhortipfhy

• View Profile
Game not opening, OSX
« on: January 11, 2009, 10:05:17 PM »
Hi, running system 10.5.6, Macbook, late 2007 I do believe.

Anyway, the application does not open at all, before or after patch.  In addition, when I try to install the patch, I get this message in the patch log:
Code: [Select]

Downloaded: /Applications/Beyond the Red Line Demo/temp/version.txt 0.0224609375 KB
Downloaded: /Applications/Beyond the Red Line Demo/Installer/filenames.txt 0.0634765625 KB
Downloaded: /Applications/Beyond the Red Line Demo/Installer/core.txt 1.1767578125 KB
Starting section: BtRL Patch 2
Checking: MULTIURL
Current File Size: 0

And then it hangs.  My router reports a failed DNS request, and nothing else.  The system log shows these errors immediately after the "Install Succeeded UI": (Certain numbers were removed by me... I'm not sure what they mean, for all I know, they could open me up to an attack.  I've marked where I removed them)

1/11/09 4:40:57 PM [*removed*].Beyond the Red Line Demo[452] /Applications/Beyond the Red Line Demo/Beyond the Red Line Demo.app/Contents/MacOS/Beyond the Red Line Demo: line 14: exec: -n: invalid option
1/11/09 4:40:57 PM [*removed*].Beyond the Red Line Demo[452] exec: usage: exec [-cl] [-a name] file [redirection ...]
1/11/09 4:40:57 PM com.apple.launchd[81] ([*removed*].Beyond the Red Line Demo[452]) Exited with exit code: 2
1/11/09 4:41:58 PM kernel Finder[97] Unable to clear quarantine `Beyond the Red Line Demo Installer.pkg': 30

All of the removed numbers were the same, btw.

Anyway, so, I take a peek at what has been installed by the patch, specifically the error log:

java.net.MalformedURLException: no protocol: nullMULTIURL
at java.net.URL.(URL.java:567)
at java.net.URL.(URL.java:464)
at java.net.URL.(URL.java:413)
at InstallerSection.update(InstallerSection.java:253)
at InstallPage.install(InstallPage.java:51)
at InstallPage.access$000(InstallPage.java:6)
at InstallPage$1.run(InstallPage.java:26)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)
Exception in thread "Thread-2" java.lang.NullPointerException
at InstallerSection.update(InstallerSection.java:358)
at InstallPage.install(InstallPage.java:51)
at InstallPage.access$000(InstallPage.java:6)
at InstallPage$1.run(InstallPage.java:26)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)

For kicks and giggles, the installer status log:

Downloaded: /Applications/Beyond the Red Line Demo/temp/version.txt 0.0224609375 KB
Downloaded: /Applications/Beyond the Red Line Demo/Installer/filenames.txt 0.0634765625 KB
Downloaded: /Applications/Beyond the Red Line Demo/Installer/core.txt 1.1767578125 KB

"Not Opening" is defined as me double clicking the icon, and nothing happens at all.  Hell, the system log doesn't even record my attempts.

EDIT: Just kidding, it does record my attempts, and here's what it had to say:
1/11/09 5:01:45 PM [*removed*].Beyond the Red Line Demo[492] /Applications/Beyond the Red Line Demo/Beyond the Red Line Demo.app/Contents/MacOS/Beyond the Red Line Demo: line 14: exec: -n: invalid option
1/11/09 5:01:45 PM [*removed].Beyond the Red Line Demo[492] exec: usage: exec [-cl] [-a name] file [redirection ...]
1/11/09 5:01:45 PM com.apple.launchd[81] ([*removed*].Beyond the Red Line Demo[492]) Exited with exit code: 2

I have tried this before, during, and after prematurely hitting "exit" on the patch.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Problem was not OpenAL.  I know, cuz I just checked.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 10:14:08 PM by Pfhortipfhy »

Riot

• Nugget
    • View Profile
Game not opening, OSX
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 02:17:27 AM »
I'm using a december 2008 MacBook Pro, running Leopard

I'm having a different problem, getting the patch to run, I download it, run it, and in the step where it asks me which directory install to (I've tried both putting it in the "Beyond the Red Line Demo" folder and the "data" folder inside of it) after that, I go to next, check the second box, go on to the next step, and it's blank, just nothing, I can't wait to start playing and hope that someone can help me fix this, the game footage looks amazing

Update: I experimented a bit with where I should download the files, so I went into the library folder, then into the Beyond the Red Line folder and most of the sub folders, each time I got this message:

Downloaded: /Users/blackedout/Library/Beyond the Red Line/temp/version.txt      0.0224609375 KB
Downloaded: /Users/blackedout/Library/Beyond the Red Line/Installer/filenames.txt      0.0634765625 KB
Downloaded: /Users/blackedout/Library/Beyond the Red Line/Installer/core.txt      1.1767578125 KB
Checking: MULTIURL
Current File Size: 0
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 04:03:17 AM by Riot »
Right about now I\'m desperate for some mac tech support, so if you\'re on Mac OSX Leopard and are playing the best BSG game ever please help... please?

rtz

• View Profile
Fix for game not opening
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 12:37:34 PM »
While I haven't been able to install the patch, I have found a way to get the game to launch. The problem lies within the application package. Anyway, here's how to fix it:

1. Navigate to your BTRL folder (usually /Applications/Beyond the Red Line Demo).
2. Right or Option click on the "Beyond the Red Line Demo" Application and choose "Show package contents" from the context menu.
3. In the newly opened finder window, navigate to Contents/MacOS.
4. There are two files within this folder, "Beyond the Red Line Demo" and "Beyond the Red Line Demo.bin". Open the former, "Beyond the Red Line Demo", with a text editor.
5. Replace line 5

BTRLBIN="`echo -n $0`"

with

BTRLBIN="`/bin/echo -n $0`"

6. Save the folder and try starting the game now.

The problem is that the bash builtin echo command doesn't recognize the -n option. Maybe it did in previous versions of OS X, but it doesn't in 10.5.6, which I'm running. So you have to call the echo program which is in /bin directly, and then it will work.

Hope this works for you too, have fun playing the game!

Riot

• Nugget
    • View Profile
Game not opening, OSX
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 03:31:56 AM »
Can you post the entire code? for some reason, there's the code on line 4 where you said was on line 5 (which is a blank line for me) I tried altering it like you did and there's no noticeable change, thanks for the help.
Right about now I\'m desperate for some mac tech support, so if you\'re on Mac OSX Leopard and are playing the best BSG game ever please help... please?

sarmasutra

• View Profile
Game not opening, OSX
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 08:38:33 PM »
I changed the code, and the game starts, but now the game freezes randomly when new windows pop up.

speedfreak 999s

• View Profile
Problem with different Mac Processors
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 01:48:46 PM »
So I was having the same problem that others talked about in this thread.  Simply wouldn't load.
Changed the code also as recommended.  Then I noticed a interesting problem  I've got an older mac with a Radeon processor and the thing works just great.  Have to get a joystick now.

But the computer that I'm always at has a NVIDIA Geforce card.  That computer allows me to open the application, but then totally freezes up after about a minute of the program being active.  Still have sound in the background but no movement of any kind is allowed and quite honestly, sometimes requires a hard restart of the computer to correct.

Any ideas on this.  Both are using Leapord, and both are running 10.5.6

maheez

• View Profile
Game not opening, OSX
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 04:34:11 PM »
I cannot even change the lines, and in fact, do not even see line five with your posted text. Is there something else I can do to try to run this?