Author Topic: Problem with game crashing  (Read 51380 times)

Fisk

• _
    • View Profile
Problem with game crashing
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 08:24:14 PM »
I was talking about the entire mod, not just the patch file.

It applies to any .vp files. If they are in \Freespace 2\ or in an active mod folder, they will be used by the game engine. Then there's the part about .vp files themselves. They are container files. Kind of like .zip, except that there is no compression. The .vp files contain all sorts of data: models, textures, effects, sounds and such. Under certain circumstances it is possible that two different .vp files contain some same files.  Say, table files for example. If this happens, the .vp file that comes first in terms of mod folder usage and alphabetical order is read first. This is why I suggested renaming the patch file so that it would be read first.

-spec -glow -env -missile_lighting -normal -3dshockwave -targetinfo -rearm_timer -3dwarp -warp_flash -snd_preload -noparseerrors -safeloading -fps
I just read this over and caught myself. Notice it doesn't say "-mediavps" anywhere. Why isn't it detecting the mediavps?

It's just that the -mod parameter isn't listed in the settings.ini. If you've selected the \mediavps\ folder as a mod or if you've selected a mod folder with a mod.ini referring to \mediavps\, the MediaVPs will be used. And your fs2_open.log revealed that everything is in order.

Did you try either of my suggestions (renaming the patch or moving it away completely)?
lulz

snipester89

• -IoN-
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2009, 08:29:07 PM »
Yes, I renamed the patch to aaDerelictSCPPatch.vp as you said, I moved the patch out of there but with no effect to the game.

Fisk

• _
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 08:31:01 PM »
Hmm. Troublesome. I'll need to test this myself at some point.

For now, you can always rely on the built-in "cheat" of FreeSpace 2: if you fail a mission five times in a row, you are offered the chance to proceed to the next mission.
lulz

snipester89

• -IoN-
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 08:35:56 PM »
Yeah, been there. It's disabled in this mission for whatever reason that may be. I just sped up the time to x64 until I died 5 times in a row. When you click on "Advance to the next Mission" It just brings you back to the briefing for the same mission. Is there a cheat that I can just delete the Ganymede so the govts shuttle can pass?

Fisk

• _
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2009, 09:07:52 PM »
There are the retail cheats, that you could use to take out the Ganymede.
lulz

Goober5000

• Über Goober
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 04:46:17 AM »
Late response, but...

Quote from: snipester89;110876
It worked, its pretty intense.
Anyways, this isn't about Transcend, but in the Derelict campaign titled "Rites of Passage" after you beat everything and the Luxor opens its fighterbays, the the shuttle does not fly into the shuttle bay. It just does back and forth ramming into the Modified Ganymede's Hull that blocks the fighterbay, then goes back to its last waypoint and rams into it again. Any idea why it would do this? I've searched online to see if anyone else has had this problem and nothing has showed up. I've re-downloaded the mod at least 3 times just as a precaution to errors but it happens all the same.

There is a patch more recent than the one posted.  If you download and/or update Derelict with the FSO Installer, it'll fix it for you.