Author Topic: Problem with game crashing  (Read 51579 times)

snipester89

• -IoN-
    • View Profile
Problem with game crashing
« on: January 11, 2009, 09:09:31 PM »
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 09:37:45 PM by snipester89 »

Fisk

• _
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 08:56:04 PM »
EXE NAME="fs2_open_3_6_10d-20081210_r4989.exe"

Are you running a debug build on purpose or by accident? In any case, there should be a file called fs2_open.log in your \freespace2\data\ folder. Could you post the contents of that file here? Or attach the file to yor post.
lulz

snipester89

• -IoN-
    • View Profile
Debug version?
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 11:31:40 PM »
I downloaded the version i have from [http://www.game-warden.com/transcend ... I had no idea it was a debug. Here is the file you requested for copied into a notepad file. Thanks for replying to my post
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 12:58:31 AM by snipester89 »

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 11:28:32 AM »
Transcend isn't debug. The version of FS2_Open you are running is debug. Debug builds usually have _debug or _d in the file name. Since you're not a SCP coder or developer you should be running a release build. Release builds are able to skip the minor errors and continue. Debug builds deliberately crash at these so that the coder or developer knows that there is something wrong with the game and can fix it.

Release builds either have an _r in the file name or have a name identical to the debug build without the _d. You want to select one of those in the launcher and see if the game runs with that. :)

snipester89

• -IoN-
    • View Profile
Fixed it!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 03:14:50 PM »
Thanks for the info, I cannot find FS2open 3.6.10 release but I downloaded 3.6.9 release and it worked great.  If anyone has a link to 3.6.10 (not a debug/beta) I'd appreciate it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 03:22:26 PM by snipester89 »

Fisk

• _
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 03:18:56 PM »
There should be a file called "fs2_open_3_6_10r-20081210_r4989.exe" in your \Freespace 2\ folder. That's a regular build, indicated by the fact that it begins with "fs2_open_3_6_10r". The "fs2_open_3_6_10d-20081210_r4989.exe" build you were using is a debug, indicated by the "d" instead of the "r".

Transcend itself works fine with 3.6.9, but the 3.6.10 MediaVPs might have some issues with the 3.6.9 build.
lulz

snipester89

• -IoN-
    • View Profile
Not there.
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 04:36:38 PM »
It's not there. I must have downloaded only the debug on accident.

Fisk

• _
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 05:22:01 PM »
Hmm. Did you download manually? The nightly builds are delivered in .7z archives that include regular and debug builds for FSO itself as well as FRED2_Open (the FReespace EDitor for mission making). Well, in any case, nightly FSO builds are available here.
lulz

snipester89

• -IoN-
    • View Profile
Thanks. One more thing though...
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 06:12:02 PM »
It worked, its pretty intense.
Anyways, this isn't about Transcend, but in the Derelict campaign titled "Rites of Passage" after you beat everything and the Luxor opens its fighterbays, the the shuttle does not fly into the shuttle bay. It just does back and forth ramming into the Modified Ganymede's Hull that blocks the fighterbay, then goes back to its last waypoint and rams into it again. Any idea why it would do this? I've searched online to see if anyone else has had this problem and nothing has showed up. I've re-downloaded the mod at least 3 times just as a precaution to errors but it happens all the same.

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 06:35:14 PM »
That is a known issue and there is a solution on HLP somewhere for it but I can't remember what it was.

snipester89

• -IoN-
    • View Profile
Well at least I know it's not me
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 07:01:44 PM »
Tell me if you find anything out about the issue with the game I'm really anxious to see what happens next in the campaign.

Fisk

• _
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 07:15:34 PM »
I think it is this file. Download, extract and place the .vp file to your \derelict\ folder.
lulz

snipester89

• -IoN-
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 07:23:47 PM »
That patch was already there when I downloaded the mod. I replaced the file but it didn't help.
*EDIT* I found out what the problem is. But that doesn't mean I know how to fix it.

This issue was somehow related to the MediaVPs. If you're playing the SCP'd version of Derelict without the MediaVPs, the Luxor is positioned incorrectly and the shuttle, with a fixed path, rams itself to death. If you use the MediaVPs, the Luxor should be positioned correctly and you will prevail.

That is what I found. The only problem is that I'm running 3.6.10 MediaVPs so it should be positioned correctly. Does the directory where you put the Derelict file make any difference? Mine is placed in C:\Program Files\GOG.com\Freespace 2\mediavps\.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 07:48:22 PM by snipester89 »

Fisk

• _
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 07:56:36 PM »
This issue was somehow related to the MediaVPs. If you're playing the SCP'd version of Derelict without the MediaVPs, the Luxor is positioned incorrectly and the shuttle, with a fixed path, rams itself to death. If you use the MediaVPs, the Luxor should be positioned correctly and you will prevail.

Indeed. I'm not sure but it might be because of the 3.6.10 MediaVPs, since the patch was released back when the 3.6.8 MediaVPs were current. You could try moving the patch completely out of your \Freespace 2\ directory.

Does the directory where you put the Derelict file make any difference? Mine is placed in C:\Program Files\GOG.com\Freespace 2\mediavps\.

There are only two possible outcomes: either the file is read or it isn't. If it is in \Freespace 2\ or a mod folder that is being used, it will be read. Otherwise it won't be read. Basically, since it is a patch for Derelict, it should be in \derelict\.

Come to think of it, the name of the patch file might cause it to not function properly. Change it to aaDerelictSCPPatch.vp or something like that so that it is alphabetically before the other files in \derelict\.
lulz

snipester89

• -IoN-
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 08:04:24 PM »
I was talking about the entire mod, not just the patch file.

Could it be the Graphics of my game? I'm running 1440x900 High graphics with these features (from the setttings.ini):
-spec -glow -env -missile_lighting -normal -3dshockwave -targetinfo -rearm_timer -3dwarp -warp_flash -snd_preload -noparseerrors -safeloading -fps
I just read this over and caught myself. Notice it doesn't say "-mediavps" anywhere. Why isn't it detecting the mediavps?

In the FS2OPEN launcher it reads this:
C:\Program Files\GOG.com\Freespace 2\fs2_open_3_6_10r-20081210_r4989.exe -mod Derelict,mediavps -spec -glow -env -missile_lighting -normal -3dshockwave -targetinfo -rearm_timer -3dwarp -warp_flash -snd_preload -noparseerrors -safeloading -fps  -ambient_factor 35 -ogl_spec 20 -spec_exp 15 -spec_point 1.2 -spec_static 1.5 -spec_tube 1.5
And that does.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 08:11:55 PM by snipester89 »