Author Topic: No One is Ever online!  (Read 8944 times)

maisr001

• View Profile
No One is Ever online!
« on: February 02, 2009, 06:57:41 PM »
I've been trying to multiplayer people but no one is very online! I know the dates for key multiplayer days and times but still no one ever appears....
Also, when i log in to the multiplayer, in the chat room, it shows bout 4 games, but one 1 appears and even when i select it, it tells me to make a new game. Am I missing something?

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
No One is Ever online!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 07:12:52 PM »
The one that tells you to make a new game is probably a standalone server.

Multiplayer has been rather quiet recently but I suspect it will pick up again. I'm sure that there are other people willing to play.

maisr001

• View Profile
No One is Ever online!
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 09:01:17 PM »
Thanks Karajorma, I suppose i'll leave an open game for time to time to see if people appear. :)

Mig-29

• View Profile
No One is Ever online!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 12:47:54 AM »
Yeah I think one of the main reasons no one ever joins is becuase the game isn't free anymore. This is why I stopped playing. Since I uninstalled the game I can't play online anymore cause it isn't free.

Maybe that will change in the future.

FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
    • View Profile
    • http://www.165thbdhr.com
No One is Ever online!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 03:05:46 AM »
You have to be kidding.  It costs a whopping 6 dollars and you own it for life.  It doesn't cost money to play it costs money to own the game and always has.  The only reason it was ever downloadable  in the first place was there was no place to purchase it from. If a game isn't' worth 6 bucks to play then the only thing I can say is don't play it. Go buy a new one that costs 60 bucks and isn't worth playing.
FUBAR

Master Drunk of the 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers

Mig-29

• View Profile
No One is Ever online!
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 07:02:42 PM »
You do realize that it is a little annoying to have to pay for something that was once free.

It just doesn't feel right for me.

I personally don't like purchasing games online. I only purchase retail copies. This is my preference.

I hope you can try to see this from my point of view.

Fisk

• _
    • View Profile
No One is Ever online!
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 09:08:54 PM »
Be that as it may. But before FreeSpace 2 was "free" (it never really was, abandonware is just a term invented to relieve the moral dilemma of downloading proprietary software), you had to pay for it. Not so different from today's situation, really.
lulz

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
No One is Ever online!
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 09:35:46 PM »
Freespace 2 was never legally available for free. We simply considered it better to let people pirate it than have the game disappear forever. Now that the game is available legally anyone who pirated it should buy it in order to prove that there is a market for space sim games.

FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
    • View Profile
    • http://www.165thbdhr.com
No One is Ever online!
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 10:06:01 PM »
Quote from: Mig-29;112388
You do realize that it is a little annoying to have to pay for something that was once free.

It just doesn't feel right for me.

I personally don't like purchasing games online. I only purchase retail copies. This is my preference.

I hope you can try to see this from my point of view.

By your logic then I should be refunded the money I paid for my copy back in 99.
FUBAR

Master Drunk of the 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers

Mig-29

• View Profile
No One is Ever online!
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 11:10:48 PM »
Quote from: karajorma;112399
Freespace 2 was never legally available for free. We simply considered it better to let people pirate it than have the game disappear forever. Now that the game is available legally anyone who pirated it should buy it in order to prove that there is a market for space sim games.

I thought that the people who hosted the game on Hard-light had permission from the devs to do so.

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
No One is Ever online!
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 07:46:53 AM »
Nope.