Author Topic: What is Earth Defense?  (Read 17233 times)

shiv

• Earth Defense dude :)
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freespace.pl
What is Earth Defense?
« on: December 18, 2008, 05:22:10 PM »
Earth Defense

In development since 2006, Earth Defense was originally started by a group of Polish modders trying to make the ultimate mod. Sounds familiar, doesn't it? But this wasn't just another overly ambitious project started by one person in a futile attempt to create FS3. This was a vision, a dream, a nightmare; it was the combined effort of a whole community working together towards one common goal - Creating one really bad ass mod.

Unfortunately, the fruits of their labour were plucked a little too early, before they had time to ripen. In a foolish last-minute decision in late 2007, it was decided that Earth Defense would be released on Christmas Day of 2007. What should've taken weeks or even months was compressed into a few days, and the mod was released as it was - On schedule, but incomplete. What the public saw was the release of the Christmas Earth Defense Demo, a mangled, incomplete and bug-ridden mess. This was the biggest blunder of the Earth Defense team. The Earth Defense Demo, for the numerous reasons explained below, should not be considered part of the current Earth Defense continuity.

Following the unfortunate mistake, Earth Defense entered a state of temporary limbo and no progress was made in the earlier part of 2008. However, in mid 2008, the team members got together and discussed a complete overhaul of the entire mod. Thus, in May of 2008, the 'true' Earth Defense mod was born. In the next few months massive work was done on the project, the entire modpack had to be built from the ground up. An entirely new storyline was drafted and work restarted. Many new members were recruited (including myself) and the project soon expanded.

And why was this thread created? Why, to show off this shiny stuff, of course.

http://www.game-warden.com/earthdefence/screenshots/screenshot027.png
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/6426/screen0094ss4.jpg
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/4817/screen0095to1.jpg

Teaser trailer YouTube link
Teaser trailer Download link

EARTH DEFENSE

Storyline synopsis

If you didn't know already, Earth Defense is a continuation to the FreeSpace storyline - It throws you into a huge war between two huge political powers, the GTVA and the rogue VRC. As the war goes on, the Terrans create a large device in Delta Serpentis to reunite with its isolated homeworld in Sol - But get a very different reunion.

Our website: http://www.game-warden.com/earthdefence/
Our ModDB page with additional screenshots and stuff: http://www.moddb.com/games/earth-defence
"Moonred - Hates shivan ships, but is fucking awesome at making them...."
qazwsx

" SF Kobrar_PL
It fires dildo missiles"

chang1326

• View Profile
What is Earth Defense?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 11:46:05 AM »
When it is going to be in picture now???:pimp:

FreeSpaceF

• Ancient
    • View Profile
What is Earth Defense?
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 03:44:30 PM »
Sorry? What picture?

Jangiri

• Cybran Nugget
    • View Profile
What is Earth Defense?
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 03:28:46 AM »
it might just be that blue planet:age of aquarius just used some of your ships or is it actually a prequel to earth defence
My name is Inigo Montoya you killed my father prepare to die

FreeSpaceF

• Ancient
    • View Profile
What is Earth Defense?
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 06:27:38 AM »
BP is completely separate from ED. There is no storyline link whatsoever.

The ships BP used were made for general use by a guy called StratComm; we're using them as well, although we're thinking of replacing them.

Thulius

• View Profile
What is Earth Defense?
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 05:04:33 PM »
Hey, I've some questions...:)

As I heard or read, shiv is a fan of the FS1 music, or at least think it's better than thee FS2 tracks. I predict that the music of ED is more similar to FS1 tracks than to the FS2 tracks. Is that true?

Also, I want to ask, if ED is more like a Character driven story. (As such as Khonsu III. etc.;))

And at the very last: I saw that the Shivans will play a role as well. Now here's my question: Will the Lucifer take part of the story?:)
"Collossus, what happened?"
"I\'m not sure...I think someone pushed the wrong button!"

"Never, build something like that!"

shiv

• Administrator
    • View Profile
What is Earth Defense?
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 08:28:28 PM »
As I heard or read, shiv is a fan of the FS1 music, or at least think it's better than thee FS2 tracks. I predict that the music of ED is more similar to FS1 tracks than to the FS2 tracks. Is that true?
Yep, I'm FS1 music fan. :D

But we're going to use a totally new set of music composed for us by Daddy Warhol.
It's a totally new style, inspired a bit by Cinema 2 and 'oriental style'.

Also, I want to ask, if ED is more like a Character driven story.
As you, see there were in FS1 & 2 original and involving characters that made the storyline much deeper. We all know the best examples: Snipes, McCarthy, Bosch...

Khonsu III has also a very important role in ED plots, as well as things that Bosch did in FS2 and many others. So yeah, you can count on some characters who will driver the storyline further and further. But possibly in Act I. Act I is more like "intropduction" to the ED storyline, while Acts II and III will be focused on actual story.

I saw that the Shivans will play a role as well
Of course, the Shivans will be the most important plot element, like in previous FreeSpace games. However their role will be this time the biggest one... :)

Will the Lucifer take part of the story?

No, there was only one unique Lucifer in FS1. However, in ED you will get a chance to see many new Shivan ships.
qazwsx

" SF Kobrar_PL
It fires dildo missiles"

Thulius

• View Profile
What is Earth Defense?
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 08:57:38 PM »
Thanks for answering.:)

Well, sounds good but...

You've got very good concepts and also very good points. But I'm a bit afraid, that the project is going to be to big.

Your enthusiasm is great, and your work is great but I'm just a bit afraid that the project promise to much and then, not everything will be like the way it "should" be...It's just the way I feel.

But allthough, I hope you guys make a good Mod with a lot of new story content.:)
"Collossus, what happened?"
"I\'m not sure...I think someone pushed the wrong button!"

"Never, build something like that!"

shiv

• Administrator
    • View Profile
What is Earth Defense?
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 09:28:22 PM »
Well, sounds good but...

You've got very good concepts and also very good points. But I'm a bit afraid, that the project is going to be to big.
Well, I didn't say "We'll rock, you must play this mod!!!!!111!11"
Your enthusiasm is great, and your work is great but I'm just a bit afraid that the project promise to much and then, not everything will be like the way it "should" be...It's just the way I feel.
We're doing our best adn we've got a few suprises for you, guys.
And Thulius, for you is this thread, if we're talking about excitement and expecatations: http://game-warden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7702

Anyway, feel free to ask more questions. We'll be more than happy to answer you :)
qazwsx

" SF Kobrar_PL
It fires dildo missiles"

The Blue Lions

• lieutenant
    • View Profile
What is Earth Defense?
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 11:15:11 PM »
This looks totaly awesome and I can't wait to play it
To me this is FS3!

killer_wolfen

• value wolf: value life
    • View Profile
What is Earth Defense?
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 06:02:16 AM »
those pics look cool. if i could id play that
fox: im gonna be a hero and save that planet!biggrin

wolf:"cant let you do that star fox!" :ha::squeeze:

fox:...:doubtful:

first comes my wolfen and then my loyal cold blooded minions. which are turtles. one male and one female...dont ask... :doubtful:

The Blue Lions

• lieutenant
    • View Profile
Will this have multiplayer online?
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 04:39:05 PM »
the title says it all will this have multiplayer vs and co op?

General Battuta

• View Profile
What is Earth Defense?
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 04:14:36 AM »
No. At least not for the moment. It would be fairly trivial to make some simple dogfight maps if the team had more than one active FREDder.

uggsplain

• View Profile
MBT shoes
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 08:06:01 AM »
Hello, members, MBT shoes gradually become popular. The key to the MBT is patented sole construction, at the heart of which is the soft Masai Sensor. MBT takes Masai barefoot technology. It is said that MBT shoes are the world smallest gym.

We are the best and professional online retailer, offering top quality MBT sale, cheap MBT shoes, discount MBT shoes and free shipping worldwide. And we have engaged in MBT sale for years. Buying MBT shoes discount is the best choice to enjoy the benefits. The price of discount MBT shoes is cheap, so I said that. MBT shoes sale online store be established by may retailers, and we have good reputation, competing price and fast delivery. Welcome to purchase MBTs. Any questions please feel free to contact us by email or Live Chat.

Tantalus53

• Resident Shivan Overlord
    • View Profile
What is Earth Defense?
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2010, 06:44:16 PM »
It will probably be released after the initial mod. But i planned on doing it.
13:22   shiv   You\'re gonna get a custom title on GW
13:22   shiv   "Master of obvious"

:biggrin1: