Author Topic: Is Transcend like Sync?  (Read 7241 times)

Black Wolf

• Lemur!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sectorgame.com/twistedinfinities
Is Transcend like Sync?
« on: December 12, 2008, 10:00:48 PM »
Well, is it?

Because I just played through Sync (I know, I know, it's been out for ages - I'm slow to play campaigns), and, to be brutally honest, I hated it. Now, I know that a lot of people loved it, and so everything that follows here is me ranting and is my personal opinion. I also know that it's been out for ages, and any advice given now is so far out of date as to be useless, but I'm going to give it anyway.

Sync pissed me off. At no point in the campaign did I feel like my presence was anything other than an observer, watching the story unfold, the very definition of a BoE mission, even though mostly there weren't that may ships. Now, I don't mind a good story, but I want some quality missions in there too, with some diversity to it. Christ, half the time I was wandering around shooting baddies who had no orders, so they were just flying in a circle waiting to die. That annoyed me. It was a good concept spoiled by, IMO, poor execution.

Now I know that's largely non constructive criticism, and that's because the campaign is so old, and has been followed up already by another two campaigns worth of FREDding. And people seemed to like Transcend, so obviously something was done right. So I'm not pointing out ways to fix the problems I had with the campaign because by now Ransom's either fixed them himself, or is happy pumping out campaigns in his own particular style. If anyone is actually interested in ways I would have fixed Sync (and I honestly can't see why anyone would be, at this point), I'm more than happy to give them, but for now I'll leave it at that.

So, now that that's out of my system, is Transcend like that? Because if it is, I'll open the missions in FRED, read the plot as it goes along and play the missions that look interesting. I don't mind working like that, but I really, really don't want to spend another several hours killing random, goalless shivans in the same fighter with the same weapons over and over to get to the end of the story.

Right, ranting over. I know it's coming across a bit rough, but, well, that's just the way I see it.
"What you egg!" Macbeth, Act IV, Scene II, Line 80
"Young fry of treachery!"Macbeth, Act IV, Scene II, Line 81

[colour=red]w00t! [colour] tags for the masses![/colour]

Black Wolf

• Lemur!
    • View Profile
Is Transcend like Sync?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 10:32:45 PM »
[colour=burlywood]Bah. Having reread that I'm coming across as more aggro than I really mean to be. So, try to take it as I mean it rather than as I've said it :)

In essence, I just want to know whether Transcend is as totally dedicated to the story at the expense of individual missions, or is it more balanced than Sync? Nothing more than that :)[/colour]

Ransom Arceihn

• Syrophoenician
    • View Profile
    • http://www.the-avatar.com
Is Transcend like Sync?
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 11:28:39 AM »
For what it's worth, I completely sympathise. Sync's missions are awful. Bad news is so are Transcend's. In fact if anything they're worse - there's an embarrassing stretch of about six missions or something ridiculous near the end of the campaign where you basically just shoot some dudes then jump out at a node several kilometres from your starting position. Most of those don't even have any significant plot development either. It's straight-up crap. So the answer to your question's no, and I apologise for that.

I will say though that I'm not sure Transcend's narrative would function if you just read through it in FRED, since the meat of the story isn't really told in messages. The campaign's essentially an experiment in Freespace storytelling that's about 20 missions longer than it should have been. With the next campaign I'm trying to learn from my mistakes, so I'd appreciate it if you'd give that one a shot when it's released, but by the sound of it I'd recommend you just avoid Transcend entirely. I made it too soon after Sync without time for retrospection, and it shows.

If you're willing to drop me a PM about how specifically you'd fix Sync, though, that would be awesome. Not so much because I intend to go back and patch it up (although I probably will eventually), but so I can apply the advice to future campaigns.

Mobius

• The Southern Cross
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hard-light.net
Is Transcend like Sync?
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 03:32:40 PM »
That's pretty much what I said in a thread posted here a while ago.

IMO it'd be nice if you complete your third project, upgrade both Sync and Transcend and then release an unique pack with three campaigns. :)

Black Wolf

• Lemur!
    • View Profile
Is Transcend like Sync?
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 04:45:40 PM »
Quote from: Ransom Arceihn;109678

If you're willing to drop me a PM about how specifically you'd fix Sync, though, that would be awesome. Not so much because I intend to go back and patch it up (although I probably will eventually), but so I can apply the advice to future campaigns.

[colour=burlywood]Just got back from a few days with the olds, I'll send you something tomorrow. :)[/colour]

Goober5000

• Über Goober
    • View Profile
Is Transcend like Sync?
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 05:22:23 AM »
I voiced similar concerns when Sync was released, Black Wolf, but I think Transcend - despite its flaws - is worth playing.  Yes, it has boring missions occasionally (and I didn't like being stuck with the same ship and crappy weapons) but it makes up for these with some really cool missions scattered throughout the campaign.  They make use of some neat FRED tricks that nobody had really used before (and not many since) that provide some really cool effects.  And the climax of the campaign is awesome.

While I wouldn't recommend playing Sync if you've never played it before, I would recommend playing Transcend.  Just suck it up through the boring missions and enjoy the exciting ones. :)

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Is Transcend like Sync?
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 12:43:29 AM »
If you're going to quote someone, do it properly. People are already suspicious that you're simply a spambot.