Author Topic: Is BtRL actually dead? (Nope. -Omni)  (Read 19451 times)

a50callovenote

• toasta killa
    • View Profile
Is BtRL actually dead? (Nope. -Omni)
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2008, 12:49:42 AM »
Wow, I open this thread expecting news on the game and find jerry springer! guys calm down. watch some eps to cool down.
Frak.

KewlToyZ

• View Profile
    • http://www.kewltoyz.com
« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2008, 02:44:44 AM »
good words :D
And as far as progress, I'll just wait for the devs to give the fat lady her cue :P
Nothing bothers me I\'m already disturbed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HotBagel

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2008, 04:02:57 PM »
The main reason why it's quiet is because we're still waiting for season 4.5.  The devs are staying as close to canon as possible and won't even think about releasing till at least after the series ends.

a50callovenote

• toasta killa
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2008, 01:34:58 AM »
is that official?
@KewlToyz: I agree. as long as the phat ladys voice doesnt shatter my monitor with awesome pixleated goodness....or does
Frak.

David cgc

• View Profile
    • http://web.mac.com/david_of_mac/
« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2008, 02:46:14 AM »
Well, they've said BtRL won't possibly come out before the show is over, and I'm fairly certain that while most of the reason for that is that it's a lot of work to make a game like this, it was at least mentioned that they want to be able to follow the storyline of the show to the bitter end.

Personally, I'm all for that. I'm not exactly thrilled by Diaspora's plot summery, which seems to be "The Continuing Adventures of Still More People Who Should Be Dead, Subverting the Very Premise of the Show."
“Just as a fun exercise, imagine what a bunch of hot chicks would think if they were reading this thread over your shoulder. I like to do that from time to time.”
Samuel T. Cogley

Echilles

• Drunken XO
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2008, 10:14:53 AM »
Quote from: David cgc;108562
I'm not exactly thrilled by Diaspora's plot summery, which seems to be "The Continuing Adventures of Still More People Who Should Be Dead, Subverting the Very Premise of the Show."

Exactly

Having read about their "R1" it's nice to have several ships and I'm definitely looking forward to it... But in the end the thing that hooks me to the game is the plot. And I'm much more interested in following the journey of Battlestar Galactica than Battlestar Randomnicus.

Anyways best of the luck for both teams!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Every step that you take
Could be your biggest mistake

Cl1nt

• Cheesy Oneliner, B1tches.
    • View Profile
    • http://frakturedreality.ismywebsite.com
« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2008, 11:22:29 AM »
As far as I can tell, the reasoning for the story of diaspora's first release is because they don't have a galactica.

From what I've read, each release will have it's own story or something. Of course they're going to follow the bsg story.

Also, you don't actually know what the story of BtRL will be, since the demo campaign was a stand alone story.
Or something.

There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality

Angelus

• Death Dealer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2008, 01:15:59 PM »
Quote from: HotBagel;108534
The main reason why it's quiet is because we're still waiting for season 4.5.  The devs are staying as close to canon as possible and won't even think about releasing till at least after the series ends.

True. It is also true that the final releases of both games, BtRL and Diaspora, will use at least the 3.6.11 build of the FS_Open engine, 3.7 more likely.
And 3.6.10 is still beta, so it'll take a bit more time.

Quote from: David cgc;108562
Well, they've said BtRL won't possibly come out before the show is over, and I'm fairly certain that while most of the reason for that is that it's a lot of work to make a game like this, it was at least mentioned that they want to be able to follow the storyline of the show to the bitter end.

Personally, I'm all for that. I'm not exactly thrilled by Diaspora's plot summery, which seems to be "The Continuing Adventures of Still More People Who Should Be Dead, Subverting the Very Premise of the Show."

Quote from: Echilles;108567
Exactly

Having read about their "R1" it's nice to have several ships and I'm definitely looking forward to it... But in the end the thing that hooks me to the game is the plot. And I'm much more interested in following the journey of Battlestar Galactica than Battlestar Randomnicus.

:wtf:

...should be dead, subverting the very premise of the show.:wtf::wtf:

Are you sure everyone besides the people in the Rag-Tag-Fleet is dead?

Roslin said during the mini, that there are hundreds of ships stranded in the system.
We can assume, that some of 'em have survived, at least for a while.

Pegasus is a good example, as well as the small fleet seen in Razor.
It's also presumable that Adama isn't the only Commander who don't networked the computers on his ship.
Most of the civilian ships are older, and there is a chance that the Cylons can't shut 'em down, like they did with MOST ( not all ) of the military ships.
Some of 'em also have FTL drives, which makes them able to escape for while, and IF they would meet a Battlestar which also survived ( for whatever reasons...), they could escape.
Which leads us to the possible story for R1 of Diaspora, WITHOUT
subverting the very premise of the show.

Enki

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2008, 05:05:20 PM »
Quote from: Echilles;108567
Exactly

Fair enough.  But by definition, both mods are outside the canon storyline no matter how much they strive to stay "true" to any perceived canon. I'm not saying that is a bad thing, it is an unavoidable thing since whatever is not on the screen during a producer provided episode is not actually "canon".

So if the starting point is non-canon, but the plot lines and other details of the mods are in keeping with the spirit of the series, what is the real difference in the name of the battlestar?  Before Larson sprung Pegasus on the original Galactica, the Bucket was the only one, what's to say that if larson or RDM went for another three or four years they might not run into some others?  It's a worthless argument for justifying another ship as canon, but is a very valid starting point for  attempting to come up with a plotline for a game.  

Personally I think the final delivered plotlines and play will be far more important than the names. Great play and plot will overcome small deviations from on-screen canon, and the opposite would be just as true.  I have a feeling both mods have a pretty good chance of getting play and plotline right, even from differing viewpoints and adherence to on-screen canon.

Ace

• The Blue Fist of Doom
    • View Profile
    • http://www.savant-online.net/
« Reply #84 on: November 06, 2008, 02:50:35 AM »
Let's just say that the timescale of R1, and how events play out fit nicely with canon and the themes of the show.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Deckard

• eltiT resU motsuC
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2008, 07:18:15 PM »
Just two comments:

1.- On the "how new fans discover this game" thing:

I'd say "Google is your friend". Personally I had no clue on FS2 until the moment I gladly found the link to the BtRL' site. I came from the RTS gaming branch at that time for many reasons, so I had parked SIMs for a long time. The main idea/compulsion which caused the first search was... "wanna fly a Viper, damn gods..." or something like that. And fortunately the cool teaser BtRL demo was available for the download. I know of many people who never played any space SIM before BtRL..Anyways this game has great exposition today so... end of rambling/remembering =)

2.- I've forgotten... brb
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 10:04:42 PM by Deckard »
-
Deckard a.k.a The Silencer

Deckard

• eltiT resU motsuC
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2008, 05:23:33 PM »
2.- Exchanging/sharing BattleStars would not be that bad idea. Let's be straight for a moment
-

Enki

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2008, 09:41:39 PM »
You're right. I competely agree that in an egoless world that is by far the best course of action.

Now lets be realistic for a moment.
A) Scotchy left BtRL, why would he want to hand over his new work to a mod that he doesn't want to participate in anymore??? [Reportedly he did leave the existing Peggy for BtRL use.]
B) Omniscaper is still the head of BtRL, why would he want to give his Galactica to a group that left him in the lurch and maybe help them finish before BtRL?

I'm not making any value judgements here, and I don't know anything more than "creative differences".  Just noting that this team split seems far more like an unhappy divorce, than a simple we've grown apart and the kids are gone so lets just go separate ways, OK.

Maybe time will heal creative differences, maybe not. I'm not going to hold my breath.  I just hope both teams can do good work and finish.

Deckard

• eltiT resU motsuC
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 09, 2008, 12:01:32 AM »
Even considering the worst of the cases.. would be good to have some common dialogue arena in order to discuss production topics for the sake of BSG..
-

Enki

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 09, 2008, 12:30:31 AM »
I think they know where each other are and how to get ahold of one another.  And if that ever happens it is much more likely to be behind the scenes rather than in plain view.