Author Topic: What BSG Almost Was, Brian Singer Style  (Read 2319 times)

On_Your_Six

• Callsign: ThrillRide
    • View Profile
What BSG Almost Was, Brian Singer Style
« on: July 25, 2008, 01:26:05 AM »
This is courtesy of io9.com (great Sci Fi site), this article is written based off of their coverage of the SDCC which had a section dedicated to "The BSG that Almost Was".

Interesting story behind all this, Bryan Singer was originally set to actually continue the story the 70's/80's series started. 9/11 happened, then when finally Fox was ready to Green Light it, Singer was attaching himself to the X-Men franchise.

Have to say, I really dig the conceptual Viper images, very sweet looking.

Enjoy!

Link: http://io9.com/5028917/911-killed-bryan-singers-battlestar-galactica
"If I\'m a Cylon, you\'re really screwed."   - Commander William "Husker" Adama

Known on IRC and FS2netd as "ThrillRide"

Tikey

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 03:27:22 AM »
I'm glad that Singer went to the X-Men movies (a shame for the third one, stupid Superman) and RDM got BSG.

Enki

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 04:47:01 AM »
All that concept art was had rehash-Star-Wars-I-can't-think-an-original-design-up written all over it. Especially the Viper, it's just a stretched at the nose Imperial Lambda Shuttle. Thank the Gods it turned out the way it did.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 04:50:19 AM by Enki »

newman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 07:45:20 AM »
Quote from: Enki;105124
All that concept art was had rehash-Star-Wars-I-can't-think-an-original-design-up written all over it. Especially the Viper, it's just a stretched at the nose Imperial Lambda Shuttle. Thank the Gods it turned out the way it did.

Agreed. I do like some of the interior renderings (always love drooling over concept art), though I much prefer the current BSG CIC design (incidentally, I think they should've went with CDC instead of CIC. Carriers have these designations for their bridges - Combat Direction Center, instead of "information", due to the fact they're usually task force leaders. Guess they didn't want people to associate it with the Center for Disease Control :)) Anyway, the one we see in these concept sketches looks too much like the old BSG bridge rehash.
The viper doesn't look remotely as good as any viper in RDM's BSG (and do look a bit like an unproportionally resized lambda shuttle, with some added streamlining details). Centurions are also.. nah.
Glad it turned out the way it did. Though, the comparison isn't fair by a longshot - who knows how early these sketches were, and we are comparing them to the finished RDM product.

Snagger

• View Profile
    • http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 01:51:00 PM »
I quite liked their bridge, apart from the standing consoles along the sides of the high section (behind the commanders podium) - a bit to Trek for me.  As for the rest of it, I prefer the RDM designs.  That escape pod on the "Scorpion" is daft - only the nose and fins come off to define the pod, meaning that almost all of the fighter is the pod.  In that case, it's highly unlikley that the pod would be undamaged if the fighter was crippled enough to make ejection required...:confused1
something I do understand;)  : http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 04:57:03 PM »
Overall I like the design, a bit blurry and hard to make out details, but I'd defiantly want any existing mesh of it if anyone ever comes across it. :)
"Don\'t think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

Coordinator Robotech Mod II
Coordinator FS2 Star Fleet Academy

My powers outside the Robotech section are weak. (as it should be)

Part-time fringe member of the cult of Karajorma :naughty:

David cgc

• View Profile
    • http://web.mac.com/david_of_mac/
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 11:49:36 PM »
I'd always been curious to see that Viper drawing, since I learned that the Mark VII was modified from a piece of SDS concept art. You can definitely see the family resemblance. Might be a candidate for a Viper Mark VI, if anyone had a mind to fill in some blanks in the lineage.
“Just as a fun exercise, imagine what a bunch of hot chicks would think if they were reading this thread over your shoulder. I like to do that from time to time.”
Samuel T. Cogley

Angreifer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 12:00:51 AM »
Quote from: David cgc;105165
I'd always been curious to see that Viper drawing, since I learned that the Mark VII was modified from a piece of SDS concept art. You can definitely see the family resemblance. Might be a candidate for a Viper Mark VI, if anyone had a mind to fill in some blanks in the lineage.

You're right, there is a pretty clear family resemblance, especially with the engine assembly. I don't think it's a bad looking Viper, even if the "escape pod" concept is utterly retarded. :p

KewlToyZ

• View Profile
    • http://www.kewltoyz.com
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 12:28:27 AM »
Overall if I wanted to sell the concept, it would have had actual renderings instead of sketches. I'm not trying to take away from the concepts but, a ready understanding of cgi for an undertaking like this should have been a priotrity in the bid award. I can sketch and doodle like this all day long but to understand actual production facilities, "hands on" with the imaging crew should really translate into the decision making.
Nothing bothers me I\'m already disturbed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Apocalypsse

• Pegasus Lover
    • View Profile
    • http://bsg.csfdir.com/index.php
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 03:34:16 AM »
Good god its like Star Wars and Star Trek mixed into one, thank god for RDM.