Author Topic: Other Arcade-y flight sims?  (Read 6294 times)

Yueh

• View Profile
Other Arcade-y flight sims?
« on: June 24, 2008, 02:35:04 AM »
I've been enjoying the hell out of this mod (when I can stop the frame rate skipping every few seconds) but it keeps kicking my arse. Also I've played most of the current levels and extra campaigns to death.

So, until the full version is complete can anyone suggest any other simple flight-sims to get the hang of this joystick. Nothing super hardcore or extra accurate or anything, just some fun dogfighting so I can get the hang of this pitch/yaw/roll deal.

WW2 or space sims would be great or modern themed stuff if it isn't all missile locks from beyond visual range. Freeware would be great or abandonware if it isn't too dated (I do like my pretty graphics). Any more recent stuff I can still find in the shops you can recommend would be good too.

KewlToyZ

• View Profile
    • http://www.kewltoyz.com
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 02:44:36 AM »
Fighter Ace
It has Arcade settings and some offline training to really get you started.
https://fighterace.ketsujin.com/default2.asp
I flew since 1997 when it was 1.0 Beta thru 2.5 on the MSN Gaming Zone.
They left Microsoft because they wanted the multpiplayer software "Conductor" for themselves and were trying to strangle ownership and development owners out of it. So they created 3.0 as a solo group, Now it is nearly on version 4.0.
My favorite padlock immersion game sim out there.
Nothing bothers me I\'m already disturbed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Arch_Angel

• Phoenix Squadron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 04:54:53 AM »
is fighter ace free ? or pay to play or buy the game and then play ?

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 07:10:49 AM »
Don't forget that Freespace 2 is a damn fine game in it's own rights. There's an online installer available from here. You've also got the Wing Commander and Babylon 5 mods on the same board.

Wolfy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 11:46:27 AM »
Heres a more direct link to the other two mods. Theres also alot more mods under development, but i have no idea how many of them will acturally be finished. I remain skeptical about most things unless theres a demo or other form of usable content

The Babylon Project
Wing Commander Saga

One of the other mods  under development on Hard-Light is a halo flight sim game, but, the author suffered a computer problem aand hasnt been seen much since, no idea what will happen to it

also here on game-warden there a number of oher ods under development too for that matter
Wolfy is bored
Wolfy is tired
Wolfy will bite you

KewlToyZ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 01:17:43 AM »
Fighter Ace is a pay site with a free 2 week trial for new users.
Free you are much better off familiarizing yourself with the Free Space games above. There is a ton of labor and love that have gone into it and its MOD's.
And it is free!!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Arch_Angel

• Phoenix Squadron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 04:21:32 AM »
i like FREE and i like a good game that is why i play BTRL ...

FREE AND DAMN GOOD GAME ALL IN ONE !

just had to get that out there lol.

Deckard

• eltiT resU motsuC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 02:48:13 PM »
What Kara and Wolfy said; TBP and WCS are free, fun and well crafted :)

I got a copy of StarWars Starfighter and SW Jump to Light Speed somewhere. I've not had time to give them both a try though. Maybe they do deserve some few spins.. any opinion on that?

PS: Sometimes, I like pinball games :D
-
Deckard a.k.a The Silencer

slime73

• Raider 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 04:21:58 PM »
Vendetta Online

MMO space sim with amazing combat (much better than FS2's or BTRL's in my opinion). You do have to pay if you want to keep playing, but there's a free trial which lasts for 16 hours of gameplay.
The community and developers are great too. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Arch_Angel

• Phoenix Squadron
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 01:49:41 AM »
Quote from: slime73;103947
 Vendetta Online

MMO space sim with amazing combat (much better than FS2's or BTRL's in my opinion).

hearsay  ! blasphemy ! may the gods strike you down mercifully. better yet strap you to the nose of a viper and launch out of a launch tube with you having no space suit.

repent BTRL sinner !

roflmao

Long Live BTRL !

tunabreath

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 03:05:53 AM »
Not for everyone, but I think it qualifies - Allegiance.

It's free now, but the learning curve is steep.  VERY steep.  It's entirely team based, so situational awareness and coordination are key.  I'd say about 85% of the learning curve comes from just knowing what you're supposed to do and when (all while being berated by the vets because you're not doing it, and it's costing your team the game), 14% from technical knowledge, and 1% from flying skill.

Flight model wise, it's very sluggish (especially compared to BtRL) and side thrusters are very important.  The pace gives you a lot of time to account for ideal engagement ranges, etc.  It has pseudo-Newtonian physics with some momentum plus space drag (this is important, since it means you have to cut thrusters early, etc, to compensate and not overshoot).  Dogfights tend to become circle strafe duels, rather than the turning/jousting matches seen in most other space shooters.  It also has a lock course feature like glide in BtRL.

Get 'er here: http://www.freeallegiance.org/

There's actually a month long training program run by some vets to improve the general skill level of the community.  It's the @CDT squad, and laid out here:
http://www.allegacademy.org/cadet/cadet1/prereadingcadet1.shtml
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 03:10:55 AM by tunabreath »

Tikey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 05:36:22 AM »
Quote from: Deckard;103933
What Kara and Wolfy said; TBP and WCS are free, fun and well crafted :)

I got a copy of StarWars Starfighter and SW Jump to Light Speed somewhere. I've not had time to give them both a try though. Maybe they do deserve some few spins.. any opinion on that?

PS: Sometimes, I like pinball games :D

Never, but NEVER get even near Starfighter. One of the worst games I've ever played in my life, and I've played a lot of bad games.

KewlToyZ

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 06:26:04 PM »
Quote from: slime73;103947
Vendetta Online

MMO space sim with amazing combat (much better than FS2's or BTRL's in my opinion). You do have to pay if you want to keep playing, but there's a free trial which lasts for 16 hours of gameplay.
The community and developers are great too. :)

I tried this out last night. I had fun with some of the aspects of warping around the galaxies online and just chatting with people.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

slime73

• Raider 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 08:42:39 PM »
Quote from: Arch_Angel;103974
hearsay  ! blasphemy ! may the gods strike you down mercifully. better yet strap you to the nose of a viper and launch out of a launch tube with you having no space suit.

repent BTRL sinner !

roflmao

Long Live BTRL !
No! Nevar!!!
I've been playing Vendetta for more than 4 years, I think Vendetta was why I was so good compared to most people when the BTRL demo first got released (now I'd probably epic fail against anyone). :P
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

takashi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 11:07:02 PM »
Get a torrent of freelancer, use Xfire to connect to Freelancer Universe 24/7 server. There, you have a good arcadey game where you dont have to bother with the SP everyone hates.