Author Topic: Episode 4x10: Revelations speculation/discussion MAJOR SPOILERS  (Read 39686 times)

zerotonin

• View Profile
Episode 4x10: Revelations speculation/discussion MAJOR SPOILERS
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2008, 06:17:39 AM »
Quote from: HotBagel;103102

From what I've heard, you need at least 32 humans, each half of each gender, to have a diverse enough set of genes to restart the human race without the race succumbing to the effects of birth defects and infertility that come with inbreeding.  With less then 32 humans you have a high chance of your race dieing out due to inbreeding.
but hell make one of those mates a cylon and who knows what could happen, as their blood can even cure cancer in a terminally ill patient.  But still, remember the trouble Athena had delivering her baby.  Hopefully the tubing is much better with the hybrid female cylons.

heh.. yeah, another hole in my adama and eve / garden theory (or 'down the garden path' theory).

I'm hoping too so that they can adequately explain how their culture is so heavily influenced by Greek and Norse mythology.

actually I had always thought the mythology of Kobol came to earth with the 13th colony...
I don't know, the show is full of odd paralels, both hinted at, and some just blatantly obvious, with our ancient history, I had really thought they were going that way. Especially in the first (i think..) episode of season 4 where baltar strikes that pose straight from a byzantine catholic icon :lol: brilliant.
Even his first name is kind of suggestive.

I can't believe how good this show is.... I've never before felt compelled to theorize about a television program!

ok, strike that... once before, with Twin Peaks.
BSG is better.

macgeek96

• Kara needs to calm down..
    • View Profile
Revelations (Ep 4x10) Discussion: Warning!!!!! SPOILERS
« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2008, 06:21:11 AM »
WTF!

The President has gotten even more humane, cylons team up with humans, find earth with radioactive soil and in ruins.  Adama goes crazy when he finds out that Tigh is a cylon.  Young Adama does some amazing negotiation, commented on by the President, and helped along by another weird signal, coming from
Starbuck's viper.  All in all, a crazy episode, with a way too drawn out and
sappy celebration scene.  I wonder what our new cylon and human race will
find out about Earth?  Nuclear War?  The always useful zombie invasion?

And by the way, this may be against your instincts, but HUG CYLONS!!!!!, as they will be living with you for a while now.

Also, Why were there no scenes with the Cylons, except the 5, in the last 5 minutes or so, besides seeing the baseship jump in.  

Only 1 jump! They were right next to it all along.

See you on the new Earth colonies.

macgeek96

• Kara needs to calm down..
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2008, 06:24:22 AM »
Not a chance, you can't reboot an entire race with just two people.  I couldn't find an immediate source to cite, but trying looking up the subject of Minimum viable population, Inbreeding, and human space exploration/extinction.  From what I've heard, you need at least 32 humans, each half of each gender, to have a diverse enough set of genes to restart the human race without the race succumbing to the effects of birth defects and infertility that come with inbreeding.  With less then 32 humans you have a high chance of your race dieing out due to inbreeding.

but hell make one of those mates a cylon and who knows what could happen, as their blood can even cure cancer in a terminally ill patient.  But still, remember the trouble Athena had delivering her baby.  Hopefully the tubing is much better with the hybrid female cylons.

I'm hoping too so that they can adequately explain how their culture is so heavily influenced by Greek and Norse mythology.
not to mention genetic diversity

Cl1nt

• Cheesy Oneliner, B1tches.
    • View Profile
    • http://frakturedreality.ismywebsite.com
« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2008, 10:00:59 AM »
Was that new york? I'm no american but that bridge looked familiar.

Plus: We finally got some decent reference shots of the cylon freighter not seen since s1.

Neg: We're all dead.

I guess the quote is:

Where do we go now?
Or something.

There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality

Cl1nt

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2008, 10:03:07 AM »
There is already 2 threads, let's keep the discussion to them please.
Or something.

- Fraktured Reality

Cl1nt

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2008, 10:14:21 AM »
Quote from: Talchar;103109
I do not recall seeing those cargo/transport craft that we shown flying down to earth before. Could those be the elusive tanker birds craft referenced in exodus?  The protrusions look a lot like fuel booms.

Plus: We finally got some decent reference shots of the cylon freighter not seen since s1.

Neg: We're all dead.

I guess the quote is:

Where do we go now?

Was that new york? I'm no american but that bridge looked familiar.

And to answer the opening post: I'm already insane.

Edit: That looks suspiciously like the brooklyn bridge.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 10:27:24 AM by Cl1nt »
Or something.

- Fraktured Reality

Werthead

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2008, 11:13:23 AM »
Quote from: hightailer;103091
this may seem stupid, but honeslty here, do you think that they might have made a huge circle and gone back to caprica. i mean, if you look at the skyline in the distance, it sorta looks like the caprica skyline from the opening credits. it definetly dosent look like anything from earth, at least this time period.

Apart from the fact it's New York City? A friend of mine who lives in Brooklyn said the way they set out the shot made it look like views of Manhatten you could get from the Brooklyn Heights (presumably without the Temple of Aurora), plus the ruins in the distance were on an island with a wide river around them with what looked very much like the lower half of one of the Brooklyn Bridge supporting arches.

but hell make one of those mates a cylon and who knows what could happen, as their blood can even cure cancer in a terminally ill patient.

But the cancer came back, which is hardly a success story ;)

Quote from: Talchar;103109
I do not recall seeing those cargo/transport craft that we shown flying down to earth before. Could those be the elusive tanker birds craft referenced in exodus?  The protrusions look a lot like fuel booms.

Those cargo transporters have been around since S1, most clearly seen lifting off from New Caprica in Exodus, Part 2.

Only 1 jump! They were right next to it all along.

The impression I got was that the Fleet and the basestar had to do multiple jumps to get there, and then Roslin gave the order for the final jump to Earth. Also remember that the Cylon basestar can plot much longer jumps than the Galactica can, so the journey would have been shorter than if they'd done it by themselves (the impression I'm getting is that there is absolutely no limit to where you can jump to in the universe, only a limit on how far you can plot such a jump before you hit the red line and all the variables can no longer be accounted for). Although perhaps Adama wouldn't have given the basestar the jump coordinates in case they shot off by themselves and left the fleet trailing behind.

So what happens next? Questions left unanswered:

Who is the Final Cylon?
Where are Team Cavil and co?
Who are the Head-People-Things?
What happens to the fleet? Are parts of Earth still habitable? Or are they just royally screwed?
Did Earth have time to settle colonies of its own before whatever happened happened?
Who is the 'higher power' orchestrating things? Why did he/she/it want the fleet to go to Earth if it's just a wasteland?
How did a Colonial transponder get to Earth? Why can only Starbuck's Viper pick it up?
What's the deal with Starbuck what happened to her in the maelstrom? How did she come back from the dead?
What is the significance of the Opera House and the visions therein?
What is the significance of Hera?

Finally, Bear McCreary on how he came up with the music in the episode.

Season 4.5 trailer.
Visit The Wertzone for all your SF&F Needs

newman

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2008, 11:22:20 AM »
Charlton Heston is the final Cylon. In the last episode, he screams at a broken statue of liberty..  "they blew it up! the maniacs!"

Werthead

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2008, 11:39:15 AM »

Looks like the Brooklyn Bridge to me. The perspective is a bit off on Manhattan though.
Visit The Wertzone for all your SF&F Needs

Wolfy

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2008, 11:57:35 AM »
edie: nevermind
Wolfy is bored
Wolfy is tired
Wolfy will bite you

Cl1nt

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2008, 01:17:42 PM »
yeah werthead thats the same image I found. I made the connection straight away, and I'm an aussie. Only problem is, if it is the brooklyn bridge, each image is looking from the other end. One of the bridge struts is in the water, the other end isn't.
Or something.

- Fraktured Reality

Apocalypsse

• Pegasus Lover
    • View Profile
    • http://bsg.csfdir.com/index.php
« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2008, 03:08:54 PM »
LOL we totally nuked ourselves, gogo nuclear winter! Cant wait to see where they go with this now.

Crixx

• Give the order.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 14, 2008, 05:34:08 PM »
I went from "FUCK YEAH!" to "FUCK NO!" in about 5 seconds.

That's my indepth media analysis of this episode, thankyou very much for reading.

TESLA

• Fire and Ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 14, 2008, 05:39:36 PM »
Enki did it.....
True religion is real living; living with all one\'s soul, with all one\'s goodness and righteousness
-Albert Einstein

Don’t be afraid to try anything once! Remember amateurs built the Ark, professionals built Titanic

Crixx

• Give the order.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 14, 2008, 05:44:52 PM »
I'm just hoping the next episode in 2009 starts with a chipper joke from our resident "Brit in a sea of Yankees", Gaius Baltar.

Everyone else is staring at the radioactive wasteland, when...

"My planet was better."