Author Topic: Very Simple Question  (Read 9155 times)

Anti_Parallel95

• View Profile
Very Simple Question
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 01:03:08 AM »
If I can clear it up very very very quickly, I follow the series very well and think I can be trusted on this one, the fortuna name in s64 is an accident, but whatever. Point being, forget the fact that some people called FORTUNA the DINOSAUR PLANET. It has nothing to do with SAURIA. people just think it does because o DINOSAUR PLANET whih wasnt even supossed to be SFox! but keeping that in mind, SFA has all three in separate form, which would suggest there are, umnn 1, 2, 3...THREE DIFFERENT PLANETS! :) FICHINA-SNOWY, FORTUNA-GREEN FOREST WITH GREEN SKIES, AND SAURIA-YELLOWISH WITH A BUCH OOF FUCKIN DINOSAURS. now that were on the same page, will fortuna, THE GREEN FOREST ONE be part of the selection of planets in Sol? I think they should both be in. [not sauria though... I still think that wa pretty low of Nintendo to kill the series with that game. lol.) dont include it please. BUT DO INCLUDE FICHINA AND FORTUNA AS DIFFERENT PLANETS PLZ! which would mean addin a new planet to the starmap... I did see two early versions, the second one being the advanced one.

DZComposer

• Nom Nom Nom. Om, Nom.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.classicalhorn.com
Very Simple Question
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 02:05:34 AM »
You're not the only one who follows the series closely. This is actually a subject of debate as to how it happened. Of course, the canon is that Fortuna, Sauria, and Fichina are different planets.

The translation error that occurred in SF64 is likely in the Japanese version, not the English version.

Both planets are spelled in the katakana alphabet.

KATAKANA -> ROMAJI -> romanized -> English

フォーチュナ -> Fō Tyu Na -> fotyuna -> Fortuna
フィチナ -> Fi Chi Na -> Fichina -> Fichina

In Latin (the language from which the word originates), Fortuna is pronounced for-too-na.

Imagine someone saying fortuna in a thick asian accent, and I think you'll see how it could have been mistranslated into fichina by phonetic spelling. Kind of like how we say/spell "Godzilla" when it is actually ゴジラ -> Go Ji Ra -> Gojira. Gojira is NOT a katakana form of Godzilla, It is a contraction of Goria (Gorilla) and Kujira (Whale).

SFAs including both was an attempt to avoid confusion by retconning the existence of Fichina as a new planet.

From my research so far, the term "Dinosaur Planet" in reference to Fortuna seems to not exist in the Japanese descriptions, though there are mentions of large creatures.

mysql> SELECT * FROM rabid_krystal_fans WHERE yiff = \'no\';
Empty set (0.00 sec)

http://www.corneriasound.com

Syphe D. Mar

• Disappointed
    • View Profile
Very Simple Question
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 06:31:40 PM »
So we can currently consider Fichina to be the ice planet, Fortuna the jungle planet, and Sauria the dinosaur planet until another game is made, right?

And although the SNES is somewhat of a reference, I don't think it should be used to influence Star Fox's modern continuity.
Your signatures are annoying. Remove the pictures because nobody really pays attention to them. Anyone with enough sense will block them. Thank you for your time.

Fox's_Feather

• StarFox Fan
    • View Profile
Very Simple Question
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 08:39:52 PM »
StarFox really need some historians or experts to lean on it's back story. XD
I personally think that the confusion of Fortuna and Sauria comes from that dinosaur called Monarch Dodora coming from the 1992 Comics. Some people probably confused it with dinosaurs from Sauria.
However, there are 3 different planets as SF Assault said... Fichina Ice, Fortuna Jungle with dinosaurs among it's animal life, and Sauria the Dinosaur planet.

I think we can mix a bit of StarWing to the actual games for the story, but not take everything from it, just need to decide what and what not...
Damn Nintendo, they totally messed up with their own game.

I lack of practice in English by those time...
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mr. Harold Saxon

• Insane
    • View Profile
Very Simple Question
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2008, 04:15:54 AM »
Just to be even more confusing, a friend of mine calls the ice planet Canada, the forest world Africa, and the Dinosaur World (plumber alert?) Jurassic Park.
Everything seems to make more sense if Doctor Who is involved...

Mr. Harold Saxon

• Insane
    • View Profile
Very Simple Question
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2008, 04:36:52 AM »
Sigh... it's the Zelda Continuity argument all over again. Where are people getting the idea that Fortuna and Sauria were ever the same?

My theories on the naming quandary (Assuming the SNES adventure didn't happen):

1. Fortuna in 64 took place on the planet's ICECAP. Finchina was uninvolved in 64's events.
2. Someone spilled COFFEE on the star charts and people have been guessing which planet is where ever since.
3. After discovering a new planet after the first Lylat War, the government put a new amnesia drug, RETCON, into the water and told everyone that the new planet was in fact Fortuna and the old one is Fichina. Evil Bastards!
4. Fortuna suffered from a consistent heat wave from THE DAY AFTER 64's TOMORROW till Starfox Assault.
5. Nothing of the Starfox universe exists and Fox McCloud is actually one of a thousand organic batteries used for the insidious purposes of the DALEKS and, as such, is subjected to various forms of Virtual Reality.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 04:40:45 AM by Mr. Harold Saxon »

Vergial

• Fleet Admiral Joseph
    • View Profile
Very Simple Question
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008, 03:25:20 PM »
Quote from: Mr. Harold Saxon;103006
Sigh... it's the Zelda Continuity argument all over again. Where are people getting the idea that Fortuna and Sauria were ever the same?

1. Fortuna in 64 took place on the planet's ICECAP. Finchina was uninvolved in 64's events.
2. Someone spilled COFFEE on the star charts and people have been guessing which planet is where ever since.
3. After discovering a new planet after the first Lylat War, the government put a new amnesia drug, RETCON, into the water and told everyone that the new planet was in fact Fortuna and the old one is Fichina. Evil Bastards!
4. Fortuna suffered from a consistent heat wave from THE DAY AFTER 64's TOMORROW till Starfox Assault.
5. Nothing of the Starfox universe exists and Fox McCloud is actually one of a thousand organic batteries used for the insidious purposes of the DALEKS and, as such, is subjected to various forms of Virtual Reality.

I like those the best. Just my thoughts. XD
"You are what you make your life to be. If there is something you don\'t like, change it." ~ Myself

Anti_Parallel95

• View Profile
Very Simple Question
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2008, 03:57:33 PM »
Now I understand! forget my lousy theory. :)

hjj589

• View Profile
Very Simple Question
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2008, 03:42:02 AM »
Quote from: Anti_Parallel95;102200
will FORTUNA (not fichina, snow planeet.) I  MEAN THE  GREEN PLANET FIRST MISSION IN ASSULT [NO CONFUSIONS PLZ] make an appearance in SoL?

Yes, i have the similar problem.

Anti_Parallel95

• View Profile
Very Simple Question
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2008, 03:30:10 PM »
if im correct, Fortuna does have green skies right? ,

Chrono Reaper

• Foxhound (PVT_Foxhound)
    • View Profile
    • http://starfoxwiki.wetpaint.com
Very Simple Question
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2008, 03:26:29 AM »
Quote from: DaBrain;102252
Fortuna was covered in snow too. At least in the SNES version, if I recall that correctly.

Your thinking about the SF64 version the SNES version was completely earthy and vegetated.
ROLLING DE HAJIKUN DA!
----------------------------------------------------------------

Project Kursed

Falco314

• That guy
    • View Profile
Very Simple Question
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2008, 06:02:39 PM »
Quote from: Mr. Harold Saxon;103006

lol THAT is a crazy theory:lol:
but still the best one:nervous:
I see a little silhouette of a bot
Scaramouch, scaramouch, will you get out of this forum?
spamming and Advertising, very, very frightening me
Moderator, Moderator
WILL YOU BAN HIM PLEASE?

kool kitty89

• View Profile
Very Simple Question
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2008, 08:29:47 AM »
Quote from: Chrono Reaper;104110
Your thinking about the SF64 version the SNES version was completely earthy and vegetated.

No, as previously mentioned, I think he was thinking of the SNES "Titania" which was very similar to the later "Fichina." (the SF64 storyline's change to Titainia adding yet another layer of confustion to this whole thing)

Good explanation SAXON :lol: manage to get enough Doctor Who continuity refrences in there. ;)

Mr. Harold Saxon

• Insane
    • View Profile
Very Simple Question
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2008, 09:20:05 PM »
Doctor Who has always been a good source of explaining impossible shit.

Brockenstein

• Of Danub!
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://darkcosmos.external-logistics.com/
Very Simple Question
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2008, 09:16:08 AM »
Quote from: Mr. Harold Saxon;107950
Doctor Who has always been a good source of explaining impossible shit.

Hear hear!