Author Topic: Episode 4x11 "The Hub" Discussion *SPOILERS INSIDE* (Obviously)  (Read 7754 times)

Angreifer

• View Profile
Episode 4x11 "The Hub" Discussion *SPOILERS INSIDE* (Obviously)
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2008, 05:46:44 AM »
Quote from: WMCoolmon;102267
Athena spent a year in a cage and went to New Caprica in order to gain what freedom she has now. I don't find it all that surprising that she didn't put up a struggle. She's technically part of the military too, so she falls under Roslin's jurisdiction. Pulling a gun on Helo wouldn't serve any useful purpose. The humans would never trust her, it could lead to the Cylons deserting or imprisoning all the humans onboard or launched from the ship, and she wouldn't be trusted by either side. She'd effectively be a triple agent, and the Rebels have already been burned by one traitorous Eight.

I think you may be confused. The Eight that confronted Helo is NOT Athena; at that moment, Athena is back on Galactica cooling her heels in the brig. The Eight that interacts with Helo is just another Eight, but one that had tapped into Athena's memories at some point and so had understanding.

Angreifer

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2008, 05:55:03 AM »
Quote from: Destructor!!!;102221
I felt Pike's deathbed multijump could have been given more importance... they should have had him carrying some vital information or something, and kept flashing back to him as he struggled to execute jump after jump to get back to Galactica, but ultimately dies on the last jump. They could have made him a tragic hero.

Instead, he became a landmark for the story...

Another way to look at it, however, is that Pike died a very realistic death. He wasn't anything special, he didn't do anything special...he was dying, was scared, and tried to go home, but couldn't quite make it. Pretty human reaction, if you ask me. Also, if they'd made a story out of him, it would have meant some other part of the episode would have had to have been chopped for time.

One other place where it didn't gel with Sine Non Qua was in the timing of the battle and the rebel basestar jumping away.

If they had said something more explicit about "Damage to the basestar's FTL brain" or something(aside from Elosha's comment about limping back home), I would have bought how long it took to get back. As it was, a bunch of Raptors from Galactica had time to make at least 2 round trips to the battle site.

I'd expect that the rebel basestar made a big jump in the wrong direction in order to throw off pursuit from the other Cylon faction; the rebels didn't claim the field of battle, they took out the hub and then made a run for it. If they'd gone straight to the rally point, they'd probably also get pounced on by the other Cylon fleet.

What's more, in Sine Non Qua, there were a good many intact, but empty vipers... Sandman's, for example. What happened there?

Ejecting?

And does it seem a little fishy to anyone else that the Cylons would have such an incredibly strategic target left so-unguarded as to be vulnerable from attack and destruction at the hands of one heavily-damaged Basestar?! A basestar without it's full complement of fighters!

First of all, the other Cylon faction never even imagined that the rebels would be so rash as to destroy the hub, as it make them all mortal. And there's no way the Colonials could have found the hub on their own, as the thing jumps around randomly. So essentially, it didn't need defense. In any event, the other Cylon fleet was there when the Rebels attacked. The Rebels just went right for the jugular. And the hub probably wasn't armored in the least, AND it got smacked by nukes. How are you supposed to defend that?

Nuke

• Slacker
    • View Profile
    • http://www.game-warden.com/nukemod-cos/
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2008, 06:17:09 AM »
this was an awesome episode. i don think anything else needs to be said
Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of the human mind

WMCoolmon

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2008, 06:56:16 AM »
Quote from: Angreifer;102268
I think you may be confused. The Eight that confronted Helo is NOT Athena; at that moment, Athena is back on Galactica cooling her heels in the brig. The Eight that interacts with Helo is just another Eight, but one that had tapped into Athena's memories at some point and so had understanding.

Doh, you're totally right.

Destructor!!!

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2008, 11:29:27 AM »
Quote from: Angreifer;102270
Ejecting?

It looked like the canopies were still attached to me. And why would they eject in the heat of a battle (or the nuclear aftermath, for that matter)? The only thing I can think of is if the close-range nuke detonation incinerated them with gamma radiation. It would have fried the Vipers' electronics, too, so I guess I can live with that as an explanation of why they didn't salvage the vipers and why there were no pilots.

Quote from: Werthead;102225
Actually it's been established since Season 1 that Cylon Raiders fly themselves. However, Cylon Heavy Raiders require pilots. That was established when Athena turned up to rescue Starbuck and Helo in one at the start of S2. The ships the skinjobs were flying in this ep were Heavy Raiders.

Fair point, I guess I was only remembering Starbuck's comment about the Turkey in season 3. My brain is swiss cheese at best.

Sparky, good point about the Six in Razor. Though it makes one wonder about the unscheduled exhibit in the museum on galactica in season 2... who was flying that? Dual mode? perhaps...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 11:35:27 AM by Destructor!!! »

Destructor!!!

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2008, 11:34:50 AM »
Quote from: Werthead;102225
Actually it's been established since Season 1 that Cylon Raiders fly themselves. However, Cylon Heavy Raiders require pilots. That was established when Athena turned up to rescue Starbuck and Helo in one at the start of S2. The ships the skinjobs were flying in this ep were Heavy Raiders.

Fair point, I guess I was only remembering Starbuck's comment about the Turkey in season 3. My brain is swiss cheese at best.

Sparky, good point about the Six in Razor. Though it makes one wonder about the unscheduled exhibit in the museum on galactica in season 2... who was flying that? Dual mode? perhaps...

newman

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2008, 12:36:44 PM »
Quote from: Destructor!!!;102282
The only thing I can think of is if the close-range nuke detonation incinerated them with gamma radiation. It would have fried the Vipers' electronics, too, so I guess I can live with that as an explanation of why they didn't salvage the vipers and why there were no pilots.

Actually.. a nuclear detonation doesn't vaporize anything. It does fry stuff though - change chemical properties of something, etc. But a human body doesn't just disappear. If the vipers were still intact, cooked human remains should have remained in the cockpit. A nuke isn't a star trek phaser which 'vaporizes' stuff.

Ender

• Imperious leador
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2008, 02:59:44 PM »
i think theres more to these empty vipers than meets the eye, something big

kizcat

• Pokemon Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2008, 04:11:31 PM »
Quote from: Ender;102293
i think theres more to these empty vipers than meets the eye, something big

what i reckon they might have done... or at least tried, was maybe put in raider brains into the vipers. even maybe scar?!? since scar was mentioned in this episode. and though it seems very unlikely that they would have, so far we haven't actually had any hints that its not possible. 0.o Kara flew a raider, so why wouldn't it be able to work the other way around?

but yes, it was a great episode! i don't really do or watch much else during the week. apart from college. so this is really cool to watch! But does no one think that the hybrids have a bigger role in this then we have been shown so far? they can see between life and death.. apparently.. so they must have a bigger role, maybe, they are the Cylon god? and every time the hybrid jumped the baseship, Roslin was in a strange place, possibly between life and death as the hybrid see's?

i really cant wait for the next one now!

wiley

• acme customer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2008, 04:20:05 PM »
The viper that was identified as Sandman's had no canopy. That was in previous episode. They were part of debris field along with basestar parts etc.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 04:24:12 PM by wiley »
Whoever said "It\'s not whether you win or lose" -- Probably lost!

kizcat

• Pokemon Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2008, 04:24:05 PM »
well that probably means that Sandman ejected then. so there always the chance he was picked up by a raptor or heavy raider.

wiley

• acme customer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2008, 04:31:28 PM »
Didn't Roslin appear to be just a little too comfortable aboard that Basestar?
Whoever said "It\'s not whether you win or lose" -- Probably lost!

Wolfy

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2008, 05:28:54 PM »
i really quite liked that episode.

Furthermore, it appeaars Roslin could be coming around to the Cylon Religeon now as well.

Baltars convosation with the centurian was classic, but it was almost like he wanted the centurians to rebel, which would be bad, to say the least.

As for the battle, we now know viers can deliver nukes (but we know they where cylon nukes, seeming Galactica doesnt carry many). Also, did amyone else notie the cylons must have either defensive missiles or some flak, when 2 of the baseships where engaged, there was a small area of explosions, nothing like a battlestars defensive field, but still there
Wolfy is bored
Wolfy is tired
Wolfy will bite you

Lepton

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2008, 05:58:59 PM »
Not a lot that I liked about this episode.  Baltar is always good for laughs of course.  All this god talk stinks of some sort of Judeo-Christian propoganda, but that's another issue.  Things blowing up is cool, but why a race of beings that are effectively immortal would seemingly trade death for some small piece of information about themselves is beyond me.  They had an eternity to figure it out on their own, but were prepared to trade away immortality for some vague, mysterious truth???  Baloney.

I really feel the writers and producers have squandered the impulse of the narrative that was set-up at end of season 3.  We've gotten tangled up in subplots and diversions while the big points of season 3 finale were the final five and Kara knows the way to Earth.  This has become the revealed 4 sitting around with their fingers up their butts while we hope that they are going to pop and Kara acting like a nutjob except when mysteriously she isn't.

At this point, I really wish they would just finish things.  Let's get to the denouement.  All the subterfuges, red herrings, and diversions are getting tiresome.

Blue Lion

• Higonaut
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2008, 06:10:18 PM »
This just wasn't a BSG thread until Lepton came in and told us how terrible the show is.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 06:26:43 PM by Blue Lion »
Suddenly, and without warning, it became a real life game of Hungry Hungry Hippos