Author Topic: New Computer  (Read 7551 times)

Foundry

New Computer
« on: June 01, 2008, 12:56:48 PM »
I currently have a dell dimension 3000, shit I know but it's served me well for over 3 years. I need a machine that's as stable as my current one but most importantly I need one that can play older games that work on windows XP and can connect wirelessly to my internet (BTHomeHub). I tried a laptop with Vista but that did everything except for the 2 things I actually wanted and that was to play games and connect wirelessly to the internet. I really don't need a computer that does anything else other than gaming and internet.

I'm willing to try a machine with Vista but for now I'm more than skeptical as the backwards compatability is so f*cking dreadful. I'd be more than happy if someone could find a decent mac. I have around 500-600 to spend so definitely no super high-end stuff, just a decent computer. I have already yahooed some sites but I'm really not experienced when it comes to buying comps, I only know the places to avoid e.g. PC world, dell etc.

Before anyone makes suggestions for consoles I already have a 360 and love it dearly. The only problem is I can't play Homeworld 2 or FS2 on an Xbox! Any help will be much appreciated, thankyou in advance.

Blue Lion

• Higonaut
    • View Profile
New Computer
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 04:20:55 PM »
Well what exactly is the problem with the old one?
Suddenly, and without warning, it became a real life game of Hungry Hungry Hippos

Foundry

New Computer
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 04:38:12 PM »
It's old. It's stable and I like windows XP but the fact is it's running on a PCI card and it can't play games at the level of performance and visual quality I'd like. I'd just like a new machine that can play games like they're supposed to be played instead of the 10 fps this machine does!

Blue Lion

• Higonaut
    • View Profile
New Computer
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 04:50:53 PM »
Well gaming is going to be the one thing to push you over the top on what kind of computer to get.

My Dell is almost 5 years old, I just replaced the graphics card and RAM and it still works just fine.

That being said. Are you willing/capable of building your own or would you prefer a built machine?
Suddenly, and without warning, it became a real life game of Hungry Hungry Hippos

Foundry

New Computer
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 06:09:30 PM »
I know very little about computers, I'd definitely prefer a ready-built machine.

Blue Lion

• Higonaut
    • View Profile
New Computer
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 06:19:43 PM »
It's been a while since I've bought one, Dell doesn't offer PCs without Vista?

Foundry

New Computer
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 03:28:25 PM »
I just can't stand to use Vista and for all it's flaws XP is still reasonably stable. As I've said though I wouldn't mind any mac suggestions if you have any.

colecampbell666

• MP Guy Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • http://www.microsoft.com/
New Computer
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 11:44:46 PM »
NCIX.com or NCIXUS.com. Choose all the parts, and they will build the PC for you. Tell me what you want, and I can help you choose parts.
View the multiplayer games calendar at my special topic.

colecampbell666

• MP Guy Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
New Computer
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 12:28:16 AM »
It's actually very easy to build, and I could even do all the work making sure that the parts were compatible, you'd just have to buy it.

So what do you want to do? At what price range?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 01:38:16 AM by colecampbell666 »

Foundry

New Computer
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 03:55:56 PM »
I'm trying to get a computer around 500-600 that can play the latest games reasonably well and can connect to the internet wirelessly. I'm not looking for an unecassarily expensive high end gaming machine I just need something stable and new.

Unfortunately the site you gave me doesn't sell to the UK. Can you give me any other suggestions?

colecampbell666

• MP Guy Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
New Computer
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 06:06:47 PM »
Don't know any site sin the UK, but I could give you parts that would fit in a 1000-1200 price range.

Do you need peripherals? (monitor, speakers, mouse, keyboard)

Do you have any special tasks? (modeling, Photoshopping, sound)

Foundry

New Computer
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 06:11:03 PM »
I will need peripherals all the ones you mentioned in fact, I don't need any special tasks and I'm not willing to spend any more than 700 (around 1400 USD).

colecampbell666

• MP Guy Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
New Computer
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 09:05:58 PM »
So focus on gaming?

EDIT: What's tax in the UK?

Foundry

New Computer
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 09:20:48 PM »
Yes focus mostly on gaming and tax is 17.5%. I appreciate any help you can give me, thankyou for looking into it.

colecampbell666

• MP Guy Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
New Computer
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 09:32:09 PM »
OK. First build.

CPU - 310$. Quad-core, very fast.

Motherboard - 170$. Good motherboard, not a lot to say.

RAM - 100$. 1000 Mhz, faster than normal, and 4 GB. Future proofed.

HDD - 155$. Rated as the best/fastest current HDD, 750 GB.

GPU - 350$. 9800GTX, Top-of-the-line. Make sure to ge an eVGA, they have very good service/warranties.

DVD Writer - 35$. Fast, LightScribe, the works.

PSU - 70$. General-purpose PSU.

Total, 730 pounds (leaving 75$ for a case). As for some components, like the RAM, DVD or the CPU, if you can't get the exact one or if it's an exorbitant price, just get the closest match.

Stay away from Sparkle/Fortron PSUs. OCZ, PC Power and Cooling, Corsair, Silverstone, Antec, Thermaltake are the good ones. Make sure that it's at least 600 watts.

For RAM, OCZ, G-Skill, Crucial, Mushkin, Kingston are your best bets. I've heard bad things about Corsair. Make sure that the RAM is dual channel DDR2-800 or higher, and try to get 4 GB, in two sticks of 2 GB. This will leave you with two more slots to add more later, and it's only about 100-110$ (if you can get the stuff I said, it's a super deal). Make sure that it's dual-channel.

I'd ask kara or another Brit about good websites in the UK.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 01:34:22 AM by colecampbell666 »