Poll

Would you welcome the 12 tribes to earth?

es
41 (49.4%)
o
20 (24.1%)
ould help but from a distance
22 (26.5%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: theorectical Discussion= Do we really want these nutcases coming to earth?  (Read 14240 times)

DarknessKnight

• View Profile
As a simply discussion, im starting this thread just to see opinions;), the punch line here being do we really want these space bums coming to our doorstep bringing another race of screwups made from metal and logic curcuits to our already problematic world? Im my personnel opinion, i would say no. why? well just take a look at them, they are not united even on war terms, something that our race thank the gods at least got it right, when we have a "purpose" we unite despite all diferences, and we already know who we are, were earthers and proud of it baby!:nod: so lets hear it from all of you, no flaming remember this is a friendly discussion, everyone has an opinion.

I stole this sig:biggrin1:

Ishii-kun

• Nugget
    • View Profile
why not, they'd bring so much advanced technology to the world, so what if the cylons follow in their wake... technologies like FTL are worth a little intergalactic war...
War is not about dieing for your county, its about making the other guy die for his

DarknessKnight

• View Profile
well ya assuming they would partake that tech...

Spoilers for 4x03
[spoiler]Jeez just saw ep3 of season 4, final 5 evil one, creepy... well to be honest i never liked that bitch tori anyway. One more reason for not wanting them here.[/spoiler]
:devel::no:

Do you see a spoiler warning on this thread? No. Then don't post open spoilers for season 4 again. - Karajorma
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 06:39:05 AM by karajorma »

wiley

• acme customer
    • View Profile
Why not? They would fit right in!
Whoever said "It\'s not whether you win or lose" -- Probably lost!

THE Phreak

• View Profile
I agree with TC. And putting that into perspective, I really think that when the Colonials find Earth the remaining government won't let them land.

Sparky

• Purveyor of Insights
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ishii-kun;98096
why not, they'd bring so much advanced technology to the world, so what if the cylons follow in their wake... technologies like FTL are worth a little intergalactic war...

Fat lot of good that technology did them...

Besides, can you imagine the insane amount of Chaos that people from outer space would cause among the cultures on this planet?  All of the religious institutions/theocracies would deny them refuge, and would probably declare war on anyone who did, based on the fact that they're polytheistic, and led by an apparent atheist to boot.  Then there would be all the people who would want their technology all to themselves, then the conspiracy theorists, the militaries, etc...

And let's not forget the Cylons, shall we?
Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!

KewlToyZ

• View Profile
    • http://www.kewltoyz.com
I doubt we would be equpped to deny them from space but once on the ground we have totally different ball game. Honestly I think we would be painting ourselves lily white washed to say we have a better handle on things within our cultures.
All I see are technological differences.

Our politics are pretty hosed IMHO.

Also the roles of power and our black ops trying to steal their technology would likely destroy their society anyhow.
Nothing bothers me I\'m already disturbed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

wiley

• acme customer
    • View Profile
The colonials won't find anything except the aftermath of self inflicted devastation. The remaining humans/cylons will settle their differences and colonize what is left of earth. Sometime later some scientist will create a Rosie the robot maid and it will start all over again. (I think)
Whoever said "It\'s not whether you win or lose" -- Probably lost!

Lepton

• View Profile
Uh, the Cylons nuked 12 planets full of humans.  What do we think they are going to do when they find another one??

Enki

• View Profile
Quote from: Lepton;98114
Uh, the Cylons nuked 12 planets full of humans.  What do we think they are going to do when they find another one??

Well, they have said they want to live there.  That's what.  Probably nuking the planet would be self defeating.

DarknessKnight

• View Profile
theorectical Discussion= Do we really want these nutcases coming to earth?
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 05:29:00 AM »
Quote from: Lepton;98114

Exactly my point were better off preparing defenses by our own selfs, we dont need the colonials. We can defend againts nukes from space with our current tech thanks to the cold war, and i havent seen anyone in the series that could kick our asses in the ground, ground that we know well...:D:naughty:

"cylons make planet fall and are attacked by f35 with f2000's, f22's and Su 27 flankers for fighter cover, while american, european, asian and eslavic divisions are eagerly waiting for a new war to unleash the dogs of war..." Thats why we dont need them, were better at war then they are, they just have better toys :lol:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 05:34:48 AM by DarknessKnight »

All-a-Mort

• Twenty Minuter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 10:08:52 AM »
Doesn't this all beg the question as to what sort of Earth RDM is planning to have them find? If memory serves, in TOS the Earth discovered was then 1980 Earth, but surely it makes more sense for RDM to craft his own vision of the 13th Colony? The overall plot of this version of BSG has never entirely made sense to me...if the original colonists had FTL technology 3000 years ago, then what took them so long to look up their missing buddies? Was there a catastrophe to recover from? Some sort of technological regression? And why did the 13th Colony move so far away in the first place?
Earth could be anything...dead and abandoned, full of savages, Our 2008 Earth, full of Post-Humans, warlike and not keen to see the other 12 colonies, living in peace with their machines...

Hard to say if they'd be disappointed to find a 2008 Earth. We aren't going to help defeat the Cylons (politics would be a nightmare with no unified Earth government and our technology is far too primitive), but perhaps all they want is a nice comfy planet anyway?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 12:55:17 PM by All-a-Mort »

LuaPineapple

• Thinks he\'s a minor god.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 12:31:17 PM »
Honestly I rather not have a bunch of trigger happy hair wired viper pilots coming down on earth followed by six Basestars, might be detrimental to the environment to have so many nukes coming down.
PS: Won't help when we find out Starbuck is the last Cylon and that she knows where earth is...

Quote from: kvitske;96760
Mr Gaeta! Press ctrl-alt-del!

LuaPineapple

• Thinks he\'s a minor god.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 12:38:20 PM »
Quote from: All-a-Mort;98128
Doesn't this all beg the question as to what sort of Earth RDM is planning to have them find? If memory serves, in TOS the Earth discovered was then 1980 Earth, but surely it makes more sense for RDM to craft his own vision of the 13th Colony? The overall plot of this version of BSG has never entirely made sense to me...if the original colonists had FTL technology 3000 years ago, then what took them so long to look up their missing buddies? Was there a catastrophe to recover from? Some sort of technological regression? And why did the 13th Colony move so far away in the first place?

Perhaps the Colonial colonizers were sent blindly towards the constellations from which they derive their names from and the Comp was instructed to bring them out of cold freeze (Gods, this reminds me of the Botany Bay...) and that somewhere along the travel they lost their coordinate systems (Gibol Lock?). Who says that they HAD FTL systems when the colonizers left Earth? Obviously they did stop by Kobol, perhaps that was the launching pad for the vessels, explaining the structures on it as well as the map to earth.

Quote from: kvitske;96760
Mr Gaeta! Press ctrl-alt-del!

Calantyr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 12:19:09 AM »
Depends how organised they were when they settled the 13 colonies in the first place. Once you make planetfall you have to set up a working colony with just what you have. Shelter, food, sanitation all come first above education etc.

It's been mentioned that the 13 colonies fled some sort of catastrophe on Kobol. Therefore they were not likely to have everything they needed as it was a hurry. That means once planetfall was made they would have to cannibalise their ships etc, similar to what happened at new Caprica but possibly to an even greater degree.

In short, technology regression is bloody likely. Use all your resources just to survive and you'll end up in a dark age you'll have to crawl out of. It's a theme that's been used many times in film, games, and literature, and it's happened enough in real life too.

For example it happened to the Hellenes (the culture the Colonials most closely match) when they migrated into what would become Greece. If I remember correctly a dark age followed after which there were no records where the Greeks 'originally' came from.