Author Topic: Season 4 Ep 2 Discussion *Spoilers*  (Read 22193 times)

Angelus

• Death Dealer
    • View Profile
Season 4 Ep 2 Discussion *Spoilers*
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2008, 06:34:04 PM »
Quote from: Star Dragon;97397
Speaking of sci-fi, where the hell are they replenishing their air from? :)

They ran out of water ONCE and ate algie for a short time before New Caprica.

In TOS, supplies were a constant theme. (otherwise known as the "stuff that keeps us alive arc") It sure would have been cool if they were more active gathering stuff on screen. You get the impression they are always moving and never going near a planet (just nebulas).

It's not a gripe, just pointing out that the drama versus sci-fi assesment is correct. Still, such activities could have been written in more AND be dramatic.

Assuming they have Super Carbon scrubbers and infinite air recycling, and Water that can be recycled from septic systems, they appear to not have any food production capabilities of note. How far can you ration food before your ship operators weaken enough to endanger the whole fleet.

The bum rush from Caprica likely was not a good chance to stock the ships galleys right? :)

I would do this: "Look we're sorry, let's end the war. How about enough meat for 100 hamburgers per Colonial until we can work something out?"

Crap, that might have worked but they messed up at New Caprica... ;)

The ships have air recycling ( seen in s2 ep8 ), also there is one agro ship in the fleet.
Galactica has a very efficient water recycling system( according to Adama ), it needs to be replenished every 5 years ( iirc ), as seen in s1 ep 2.
The algae thing happened in season 3 ( the passage, eye of jupiter ), because of the radiation of the Nebula the canned food was contaminated.

Make it 150 BIG KINGS and i sign in...;)

They messed up at NC?
Yeah, bombing the nearest McCylon restaurant is a bad idea.;)

Tikey

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2008, 06:36:29 PM »
Do you really want another resources arc? Water, fuel, food. I think we saw more than enough that they have those issues and can solve them.

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2008, 06:42:25 PM »
They have water and a generator that can crank out tonnes of power. Why would air be a problem?

Wolfy

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2008, 06:53:56 PM »
It was also mentioned, eith int he mini series or Water, than Galactica had 12 co2 scrubbers, seems to be working well for them
Wolfy is bored
Wolfy is tired
Wolfy will bite you

SFM Hobbes

• My coffee tastes funny
    • View Profile
    • http://www.scifi-meshes.com
« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2008, 07:23:33 PM »
You could see some them still eating what looked like algae protein in the last episode, not that it really matters.

wiley

• acme customer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2008, 08:01:56 PM »
If algae goes bad, what does it look like?
Whoever said "It\'s not whether you win or lose" -- Probably lost!

TESLA

• Fire and Ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2008, 10:33:00 PM »
Quote from: wiley;97416
If algae goes bad, what does it look like?

probably the same, lol, i doubt it could getter any worse :D
who knows, maybe it goes backwards and gets better, and turns into chicken in the end, cause most things taste like chicken :)
True religion is real living; living with all one\'s soul, with all one\'s goodness and righteousness
-Albert Einstein

Donít be afraid to try anything once! Remember amateurs built the Ark, professionals built Titanic

Herra Tohtori

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 14, 2008, 11:03:56 PM »
Well... I assume by "going bad" you don't refer to fermentation? Because I don't think Galactica Crew would consider that "going bad"... they would just distill the fermented algae mash and call it ambrosia.

...I think I just figured out why exactly they don't run out of booze but food and water are occasionally sparse.:lol:

I guess it could be infected with some non-beneficial bacteria or mould, though.

TESLA

• Fire and Ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2008, 11:11:21 PM »
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm ambrosia. Its lovely!!!

Right, im off for a while, someone planted a bomb up the road, getting evacuated! :mad:

chat later!!
True religion is real living; living with all one\'s soul, with all one\'s goodness and righteousness
-Albert Einstein

Donít be afraid to try anything once! Remember amateurs built the Ark, professionals built Titanic

Tikey

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 14, 2008, 11:40:07 PM »
Quote from: Tikey;97399
Do you really want another resources arc? Water, fuel, food. I think we saw more than enough that they have those issues and can solve them.

With what you said I have to correct myself, I actually want another resources episode. We need a booze shortage episode.
It would be the end of the fleet!

Awger

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2008, 12:07:50 AM »
Re: the "boring" (character development) episodes

I always chalked that up to economics.... after you blow the wad on The Beast & Bucket beotch-slapping half a dozen basestars, you don't have a lot of money left over for externals; interior shots are relatively cheap. ( ? )

Re: intelligence vs programming (emergent behavior)

The tin cans are programmed to follow orders and have programming lockouts that preclude them from injuring (known) Cylons; for all we know, they're purely mechanical (minimal learning abilities, no regeneration).

The raiders are "animal in a can" -- much more learning capability, and their cognizance is reconstituted when their can is smashed (to wit: Scar -- "He hates you as much as you hate him").

Machines are easy enough to turn off or reprogram... animals, not so much (If you don't believe me, piss off a cat sometime...) Raiders breaking off an attack would scare the bajeezus outa me, and I'd want to labotomize 'em myself... lest they decide that *I* was a greater threat than the human fleet.

Maybe it's just me, and I'm paranoid... but I have cats. Two Siamese. Vindictive little wenches. Never trust 'em. They have parties when I'm not home...

Re: the Four

I see no reason why "flipping the switch" couldn't / wouldn't also involve some physiological changes that would then be recognizable by other Cylons. Wouldn't have to be obvious to humans (everybody that can smell pheromones, raise your hand) and it would also explain why Tyrol never asked Boomer why her spine lit up during... um... indoor golf.

Best line from the last episode:

"You can stay in the room, but get outa my head."
Incoming fire has right of way.

KewlToyZ

• View Profile
    • http://www.kewltoyz.com
« Reply #101 on: April 15, 2008, 12:10:07 AM »
Quote from: TESLA;97441
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm ambrosia. Its lovely!!!

Right, im off for a while, someone planted a bomb up the road, getting evacuated! :mad:

chat later!!

What do you live in the White House or near the post office? :D
j/k
I hope you and your family are safe and sound Tes!

As far as the series and its inconsistencies, I have a hard time with arguments condemning the series. After all, it is years of a living plot. Always subject to basic human idealogy with (I have to say) some reasonably high quality artistic license & intellectual property sarrounding it.

Everyone can criticize anything at any time without ever having conquered the same circumstances sarrounding the people in control. Budget constraints, time constraints, resource constraints in general with actors schedules, equipment and of course artistic constraints along with unions, strikes, etc... the list goes on and on.

I'm surprised how far people will go to write an extremely long in depth post on what they see. I'm not condemning it just surprised at the extreme differences of opinion and scope. Chances are, if you write enough you may have a 50/50 chance of being right in some manifest perception of how things will unfold. Me I'll look at the broad reaching concepts but not too much of the details. I would rather enjoy the content the writers & artists are working so hard to create than ruin it with expectations. No more or less presumptuous than goping on a date with someone.:biggrin1:
Nothing bothers me I\'m already disturbed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fairchild

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 15, 2008, 07:24:46 PM »
Here is what is going to happen. The tin can's are going to rebell against the skin jobs.
The skin jobs have to join forces with Adama to prevent being wiped out.
This brings 10's of thousands of replacements and new breeding stock into the fleet.
They drive back the tin can's and that is the "new" first war against the cylons.
Something happens to muddle that in history of course so it can repeat itself.

Humans have always been skinjob/hybrids fighting the tin can's trying to kill them, because the skin jobs kept lobotomizing them.

kristofori

« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2008, 10:26:38 PM »
Quote from: Fairchild;97536
Here is what is going to happen. The tin can's are going to rebell against the skin jobs.
The skin jobs have to join forces with Adama to prevent being wiped out.
This brings 10's of thousands of replacements and new breeding stock into the fleet.
They drive back the tin can's and that is the "new" first war against the cylons.
Something happens to muddle that in history of course so it can repeat itself.

Humans have always been skinjob/hybrids fighting the tin can's trying to kill them, because the skin jobs kept lobotomizing them.

Wow, I like this theory.  A lot.

Wolfy

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 15, 2008, 10:31:59 PM »
just watched 1st 2 eps. That.... was amazing. Decent story, and adding head-Baltar truly was amazing. If i hadnt of been reading this thread before hand, i think id of fallen off the front of my chair in suprise.

As for the cylons, the raiders wont shoot the coloniale, the centurians seem to be with the raiders and I imagine are protecting them, while the cylons that human-cylons that voted not to labotomise the raiders are presumably on said side. It seems the 3 that labotomised the raiders are on there own?

where can they acturally go? will one half box the other half?
[spoiler]and what will the 3s reaction to all this? "Oh god, you guys have realy fraked this up"?[/spoiler]

anyone notice the cylons are now doing exactly the same thing that the 3s got boxed for? looks like Cavil was too late in saving societies when he boxed her
Wolfy is bored
Wolfy is tired
Wolfy will bite you