Author Topic: Season 4 Episode 1 Discussion *Spoilers*  (Read 9716 times)

Herra Tohtori

• View Profile
Season 4 Episode 1 Discussion *Spoilers*
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2008, 08:50:49 AM »
Holy Hell, that was an awesome starter for the season, an evil cliffhanger to end it with, and full of Win and Gold.

Stuff I Liked Especially:

-The combat scenes at the beginning. Lots of stuff to ogle at, Cylon splatter on windscreen (I want to see that in BtRL) and the Eye Contact.
-"Never Felt Better". Epic...
-Final Four's situation in general...
-Gaius. Only you could end up in that kind of... situation as your only resort of finding living quarters. Do you feel God's presence yet?:lol:

Stuff that was just standard BSG awesome:

-Kara's storyline - nothing seems to add up, we have no way to know what the frak is going on and while that's okay, the explanations I can think of for this storyline are all some sort of deus ex machinas. Time discrepancy, new Viper and no nav data all seem to point to some sort of intervention by someone and something, and the writers need to pull something really great out of their asses to make any sense in this. Though they have done it before, so all hope is not lost...
-The God stuff in general. Gaius' reactions and interaction itself was hilarious for most part, but the religious stuff just irks me. At least the Jesus Beard is finally gone.

newman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2008, 10:48:44 AM »
"Kara Thrace? I'm special agent Mulder, this is agent Scully, we're with the FBI. We'd like to talk to you about your last flight.."

-bonus DVD, extra scene that was cut :D
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 11:00:55 AM by newman »

Kyle_K_ski

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2008, 11:06:44 AM »
I'm confident that the one person who knows far more about Baltar's ability to perform miracles is the Cylon in his head.  Just look at how they setup the shot where he's holding the now-healed boy, and looming behind him is the Cylon in Red.  I'm fairly sure that however they ultimately address the two Great Religions, that it'll take on a more believable stance than simply "god(s) did it..."  I hope it does, anyway.  

I have to wonder about what else "Baltar's Head Cylon" knows.  Is there a real line of communication being transmitted between a Cylon and Baltar's brain, or is she a construct of Baltar's mind?  And if that's the case, what does that mean for Baltar?  After all, they've never explained how he survived the nuclear blast in Episode 1.  I really feel that once we receive the answer to that event, it'll play a pivotal role in understanding who the mysterious un-named third party player is.  And is the force behind saving his life the same force that saved/assisted in Kara's fantastic voyage?  

It's been established that The Four have virtually no clue as to what's going on, but I'm guessing that The Fifth knows a lot about what's going on, and may even be the Puppet Master, or has a pretty good idea who/what the Puppet Master is.

So much left to explain, and only 9 episodes left to go!

:)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 11:10:02 AM by Kyle_K_ski »

newman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2008, 11:13:45 AM »
Quote from: Kyle_K_ski;96114

So much left to explain, and only 9 episodes left to go!

:)

19 actually.

Kyle_K_ski

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2008, 11:29:01 AM »
"19?"  I thought that I read somewhere that they had only 10 to go?  Or was production halted at 10 due to the writers' strike, or...?  

Now I'm stumped as to why the number 10 is so huge in my mind in regards to BSG!  :confused:

Please help!  :lol:

newman

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2008, 11:38:13 AM »
Only season 1 had less then 20 episodes. You can see a list of all episodes here, though it'll need to be updated as season 4 progresses. The confusion is probably due to the fact that they only had written material for half of the season due to the writer's strike. Now that it's over, you can expect all 20 to air.

docfu

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2008, 03:01:51 PM »
Out of curiousity is season 4 supposed to play right through or are they going to take a break for summer?

TESLA

• Fire and Ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2008, 03:10:34 PM »
not sure how its going to work out cause of the writers strike, they kind of had a long break already :biggrin1::D

Could be simply breaking up season four into two mini seasons, leaving us with the mother of all cliffhangers mid-season.

Though I think season two had the best mid-season cliffhanger you could get.....:yes:
True religion is real living; living with all one\'s soul, with all one\'s goodness and righteousness
-Albert Einstein

Don’t be afraid to try anything once! Remember amateurs built the Ark, professionals built Titanic

Fairchild

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2008, 03:16:30 PM »
how can there be an unused portion of galactica? With all those refugees running around, how can there possibly be a section of living space not taken up by someone.
If it is for security, then how did they get in?

TESLA

• Fire and Ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2008, 03:26:28 PM »
where there's a will, there's a way :naughty:
True religion is real living; living with all one\'s soul, with all one\'s goodness and righteousness
-Albert Einstein

Don’t be afraid to try anything once! Remember amateurs built the Ark, professionals built Titanic

David cgc

• View Profile
    • http://web.mac.com/david_of_mac/
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2008, 03:51:41 PM »
Quote from: Fairchild;96129
how can there be an unused portion of galactica? With all those refugees running around, how can there possibly be a section of living space not taken up by someone.
If it is for security, then how did they get in?

It's a very large ship Just one flight pod has more than twice the space of a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier, which has a crew of 5,700. There are probably plenty of nooks in the ship that aren't used for whatever reason.
“Just as a fun exercise, imagine what a bunch of hot chicks would think if they were reading this thread over your shoulder. I like to do that from time to time.”
Samuel T. Cogley

Lepton

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2008, 03:52:05 PM »
I was pretty disappointed with the episode.  The dialog seemed a bit week.  The acting seemed a bit stilted.  There also seemed to me to be a complete lack of the same tight, personal, near claustrophobic cinematography that the show seems noted for.  The CIC never seemed so large and the memorial hall area seemed very large whereas in the past it's always seemed rather confined and oppressive.

That said, I do not find this Final five business compelling in the least.  I don't give a crap about Anders or that other chick.  The Chief is cool and I don't want him to be a Cylon as that tints all his activism and his choices.  That he loved Boomer now merely becomes Cylon on Cylon and no big deal.  I also refuse to understand how Tigh can be a Cylon.  Didn't he fight in the first Cylon war with Adama?  He's too old to have been a skinjob Cylon from the beginning as we remember the Cylons developed their own biological models.  So either the human Tigh must have been replaced at some point by a skinjob, or the Final Five are some completely different type of Cylon that bear no resemblance to the biological Cylons.

I also find the Messianic Baltar storyline to be pretty ridiculous.   The Christ parallels are obvious and I have always been fearful that the show is a mere front for some kind of Christian doctrine, wherein the fleet/humanity is like some wandering tribe of Judea being guided/assaulted by an Old Testament vengeful God, eventually to be transmogrified into some sort of Love/Unity/Christ sacrifice storyline.  Obviously, the writers have been screwing with religion, faith, etc, but in the end I fear the dominant Judeo/Christian paradigm will prevail.

Roy Fokker

• Veritech Viper Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2008, 03:58:23 PM »
Wow, talk about a unique view, Lepton.

While I disagree completely on almost... hell - on everything you wrote, I can only say I'm sorry you're not enjoying it like the rest of us.

Lepton

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2008, 04:25:21 PM »
As for an example of the stilted dialog and acting, the President saying to Lee and the Admiral, "How do you know she is not playing you?  How do you know she is not playing YOU?"  Those lines fell totally flat and were poorly delivered and totally unnecessary.  And "playing you"??  When has Rossalyn even spoken like that?  She might have said, "How do we know that we can trust her?", but "playing you"???  That seemed totally uncharacteristic and quippy.

Slamscape

• callsign: Slamscape
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2008, 04:32:35 PM »
Anyone else notice how Kara's Viper suddenly has her callsign and markings on it, when it didn't at the end of season 3