Author Topic: LISTEN UP 58th!  (Read 3493 times)

KypFisto

• Callsign: Gulo
    • View Profile
LISTEN UP 58th!
« on: March 18, 2008, 12:02:26 AM »
Pilots,

I think everybody here is of the assumption that the 58th is in hibernation currently. With not a whole lot to do and a bunch of schedules to balance, it's hard to get people to play the same old gametypes that the demo offers. Some might suggest disbanding the Air Wing, but I think there is a better course of action. The 58th Air Wing is going on detached service. This effectively means any pilots wishing to host or organize a game may do so until the final release of the game. Until a more uniform environment for Beyond the Red Line's multiplayer scene is established, we can't expect everyone to be as organized and efficient as every non-wing pilot relies on the spur of the moment to game.

I know we aren't in the best situation, but if you pilots free reign for a while (which has been the case these past few months) until the final release we'll not only be able to keep the wing together, but keep it together long enough for the rush of new players and games we'll see when the full game is put out. As always we use this board as a forum to keep our wing together, but from now until the full release of Beyond the Red Line we will not have regularly scheduled meets. My goal is simply to let you all know that the 58th may not be hugely active at the moment, but it is not dead.

As always, the Chief and I will be as available as we have worked to keep ourselves over the course of our time here. Anyone wishing to come to us with comments and suggestions may do so. I will continue to check the forums regularly no matter how "dead" they may seem. I also see NO REASON NOT TO USE THE FORUM as a general discussion board when they aren't flying. In the mean time your orders are as follows:

• stick together
  • keep frosty
  • keep flying

So Say We All,
Captain James Lupis
Star Wolves Squadron Leader
58th Air Wing XO
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 08:59:01 PM by KypFisto »

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
LISTEN UP 58th!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 07:56:13 AM »
Just out of interest, do you guys have a regular gaming night?

M-562

• callsign: slipstream
    • View Profile
LISTEN UP 58th!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 01:47:08 PM »
we had one, but turned out to be an epic fail.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
to hell with those walkin toasters! :D :D

58th nukes for everyone. http://sloganizer.net

KypFisto

• View Profile
LISTEN UP 58th!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 02:04:32 AM »
Quote from: karajorma;94297
Just out of interest, do you guys have a regular gaming night?

Not a regular one anymore, no, but most of our guys have been holding stuff on Saturdays.

M-562

• View Profile
LISTEN UP 58th!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 07:59:39 AM »
But let me get this straight:

we are not allowed to use the boards for stuff thats not related with flying with the 58th/btrl/bsg?

"I also see no reason for pilots to use the forum as a general discussion board when they aren't flying"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

IceManHG

• LT SG
    • View Profile
LISTEN UP 58th!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 08:18:44 AM »
Not the announcement I was hoping for.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

userfriendly

• Red 3
    • View Profile
    • http://mo.virtual-bunker.de
LISTEN UP 58th!
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 04:39:24 PM »
what were you hoping for?

just organise a game and see if people drop in. most of the time i was on it was a two or three people action. i think they're right, it's probably best to try and not let this die completely, until the full game is released.

oh, and...
"I also see no reason for pilots NOT to use the forum as a general discussion board when they aren't flying"
you forgot a 'not' there. ;)

IceManHG

• LT SG
    • View Profile
LISTEN UP 58th!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 05:30:16 PM »
Quote from: userfriendly;94382
what were you hoping for?

just organise a game and see if people drop in. most of the time i was on it was a two or three people action. i think they're right, it's probably best to try and not let this die completely, until the full game is released.

oh, and...

you forgot a 'not' there. ;)

What I was hoping for was some announcement about increased activity levels from the leadership instead of a hands off approach until the game is released. This annoucement basically gives the people in charge a "im off the hook" mentallity until the final release.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

M-562

• View Profile
LISTEN UP 58th!
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 08:50:45 PM »
I cant even play online with u folks untill the next build. I use 3.6.10 (the beta THANKS KARA! IT WORKS NOW!). but since noone else uses it..  I cannot play online with u.

Unless you all download the beta version (or whatever the frak it is).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

KypFisto

• View Profile
LISTEN UP 58th!
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 08:56:57 PM »
Quote from: M-562;94356
But let me get this straight:
we are not allowed to use the boards for stuff thats not related with flying with the 58th/btrl/bsg?

My apologies. that's been fixed.

Quote from: IceManHG;94383
What I was hoping for was some announcement about increased activity levels from the leadership instead of a hands off approach until the game is released. This annoucement basically gives the people in charge a "im off the hook" mentallity until the final release.

Iceman, I can no more pledge increased leadership activity than I can promise the weather 746 days from now. I can however promise you that I am by no means trying to let the Chief and myself "off the hook."

The fact of the matter is, no matter who organizes this, we aren't going to have enough of a turnout to hold individual squadron meets and hold entire Wing practices. I made this announcement because of our current situation. The issue at hand is between the limits of the demo and the lack of interest because as of yet there is not a final release. As of now, we are the only multiplayer clan that has managed to even remotely keep our ranks together, and it hasn't been easy. We have reorganized this wing several times with limited success. Reorganizing again will not fix our problems.

It is our judgement at this point in time that while we have a devoted following, we can't keep you all stuck in a regimented schedule that is suited better for a larger playerbase. This Air Wing was created and is designed for a much larger scale. I know this may give you reason to believe there is no reason to stay, but I implore you all to consider the community we have forged over the years. Yes, we have all been jumping in and out of activity, but we have always had pilots who wanted to fly, and they should be allowed to do so in a way that is not restricted by the wing during a fairly inactive period in this game's development.

By giving you free reign while still keeping the air wing website and forum intact, those that wish to remain active during this time before the final release may by all means do so, and those that wish to merely check progress may stay current and attached to our community. My apologies if this was not the announcement you were looking for. We saw a need to preserve our Air Wing and we acted in what we believe to be the most practical manner available to us. If any of you have suggestions please feel free to voice them to me. Regardless of our feelings, I don't believe that anyone wants the 58th to die.

M-562

• View Profile
LISTEN UP 58th!
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 01:54:58 PM »
Bright side: now we can atleast fly without the formalities. lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Intrinsica

• Deck Chief
    • View Profile
LISTEN UP 58th!
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 08:18:05 PM »
Quote from: IceManHG;94383

As Gulo pointed out, we can't promise increased activity levels at this stage. Slipstream has also made another fair point. While this game is still in it's demo stages, there are issues surrounding compatibility.

To reinforce Gulo's response, Iceman, I will say that I don't consider this plan to be a way for the leadership to think that they're off the hook. I still check out the forums and attempt to help anyone out if they have a problem, and this isn't going to change.

I consider this to be the best course of action until a more solid game makes an appearance. It gives pilots that want to fly the ability to do so without any formalities, while at the same time allowing pilots to still proudly say, "I'm with the 58th Viper Air Wing."

Finally, as Gulo has already said, if there is anyone with suggestions, questions, complaints or general comments, I will also be around to hear them.

Chief

PsychoticShroom

• Callsign: Soldier
    • View Profile
LISTEN UP 58th!
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 09:04:15 PM »
Quote from: M-562;94510
Bright side: now we can atleast fly without the formalities. lol

Just don't fly with a beer in one hand a hot dog in the other  :p

anyhow,

As a squadron XO in another game, keeping a group together all lands upon keeping all those under you occupied and interested with what you're doing.

How I see it. How the command staff, with the limited resources they have to work with, were able to keep the 58th together, though remotely, for this long is no small feet. With this order, it gives us, the pilots, more autonomy, but at the same time still keep us together as a group.

Elthis

• Callsign: Elthis
    • View Profile
LISTEN UP 58th!
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 05:18:43 AM »
Quote from: PsychoticShroom;94625

As a squadron XO in another game, keeping a group together all lands upon keeping all those under you occupied and interested with what you're doing.

What game per say? I'm looking for something to tie me over until the full release.

Oh, I'd also like to state that I do check these forumns regularly. I just don't post often. I look forward to the day when we can get the ball rolling.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sometimes you gotta roll a hard six.

PsychoticShroom

• Callsign: Soldier
    • View Profile
LISTEN UP 58th!
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 10:37:28 PM »
Quote from: Elthis;94673
What game per say? I'm looking for something to tie me over until the full release.

If your into down-to-earth aviation with psuedo-realism (I'm saying psuedo-realism as you can do high-gee turns at high speeds and you have an insane number of ordnance at your disposal). Hit up Ace Combat 4, 5, and Zero for the PS2 and Ace Combat 6 for the 360.