Author Topic: Hi I'm Seth!  (Read 4733 times)

jedimasterseth

• View Profile
Hi I'm Seth!
« on: January 21, 2008, 10:25:19 PM »
Hi everyone!

Would just like to introduce myself ... my name's Seth, I live in London England.

I used to play freespace many moons ago and have recently rediscovered it and this website. It seems that its possible to play FS2 multiplayer via this website? How do you do it! I've tried to go thru the tutorial but am havin no luck! I have registered my pilot (Flint). I'm using an original copy of freespace 2!

Please help me! Me n my bro wanna dogfight with one another and join in the multiplayer fun generally!

JediMasterseth:D

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi I'm Seth!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 10:42:21 PM »
Your problem is that you're trying to use the retail version. You want to use FS2_Open.

Run this installer and point it at your main Freespace 2 folder. It will update your install to FS2_Open (which is in and of itself worth playing as it looks much better than the retail version) and optionally install extra mods for you to play.

Once you have it you can play online. There are a bunch of regular multi players who'll no doubt be happy to play with you. You can find them here.

I'll also point out that the Battlestar Galactica mod can be played online already and the Wing Commander mod will also be multiplayer soon(ish) too. So when you can't find FS2 games to join you can try them too.

jedimasterseth

• View Profile
Hi I'm Seth!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 10:19:50 PM »
Hey thanks for the info! I'll try it out asap! I loved freespace when it first came out!! :D

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi I'm Seth!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 10:27:26 PM »
You'll love FS2_Open then. :)

jedimasterseth

• View Profile
Hi I'm Seth!
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 10:29:09 PM »
Sorry about the multiple postin... :o  I'm new to forums as well! I'm in the middle of runnin the installer, I hope it works! :pimp:

jedimasterseth

• View Profile
Hi I'm Seth!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 01:14:02 PM »
Hey Karajorma,

I've finally setup everything and it all seems to work!!! When are the next online games scheduled! I'm a rarin to go....

Jedi:D

jedimasterseth

• View Profile
Hi I'm Seth!
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 01:28:41 PM »
Hi Karajorma,

Just wondering about a few things... What are Mods and how do u install them! How would I login to Battlestar Galactica online games!! Help me I'm gettin myself really excited!!

Jedi

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi I'm Seth!
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 04:06:07 PM »
Details on when the games are played should be on that page I linked to earlier. IIRC there is a regular game on Saturday evenings.

Mods come in two types. You have mods like Transcend and the FS1 Port which are downloaded to folders in the main FS2 folder and selected via the launcher's mod tab. They allow you to play new missions and even with new ships within the FS2 universe.

Some mods like Wing Commander Saga and Beyond the Red Line (the BSG Mod) have grown large enough that they are now stand alone. You download and intall them separate from FS2 as if they were a completely different game. That said you'll find using them pretty familiar. Multi is basically the same. Enter the FS2NetD details on the multiplayer configuration screen and start playing (well for WCS you have to wait for them to actually release their multiplayer add-on).  :D

jedimasterseth

• View Profile
Hi I'm Seth!
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 06:16:41 PM »
Thanks K! I've downloaded the 'BtrlDemoinstaller' via a torrent I found in the Btrl forum, is that the one i need!!! (for Battlestar G)!! Also another query (really really sorry to keep buggin u) ... if me and my brother wanna play online, do i just create a game and select him? how does it work! Thanks so much, you're a star ;)

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi I'm Seth!
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 06:48:15 PM »
The installer is what you need but you'll need to go to download and apply the patches if you want to play online.

If you and your brother are on the same LAN you can play each other simply by turning off FS2NetD and playing a LAN game. If you want to play others it gets more problematic as you are both behind the same firewall most likely. In that case you can sometimes get it to work by using the force port option in the launcher and setting it to 7809. That sometimes works cause some people forward both ports 7808 and 7809 for such occurrences. Most people don't however.

jedimasterseth

• View Profile
Hi I'm Seth!
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 07:02:36 PM »
Thanks for the info K!! My brother's in a different town not on the same LAN. I downloaded the himachi networking tool (as mentioned here)

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,49012.0.html

But how do i make freespace work to play vs my brother?! Shall i request to host a game? Or (as u suggested) turn off fs2net and play via a @LAN' setting (using Himachi). If so how do I do the latter! :confused1

Sorry to keep buggin u, thanks for all your help!!

Jedi

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi I'm Seth!
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 07:11:32 PM »
Make sure you forward port 7808 (The getting started FAQ explained this) and then host a game.

jedimasterseth

• View Profile
Hi I'm Seth!
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 11:24:33 PM »
Hey K! Just played my first game with everyone! thanks for all ya help with the setup!!

:D