Author Topic: Are you people crazy? (MISC posts can go here!)  (Read 14326 times)

Max Sterling

• View Profile
Are you people crazy? (MISC posts can go here!)
« on: September 20, 2007, 03:18:38 AM »
Wow this is really still going? What is it, 8 years now? I'm an old man!

Well not really... I happened to be searching for that old trailer I made for the MOD and I saw this. So um... I live in Los Angeles and I'm pursuing an acting career now... I've been in a couple sci-fi movies and I got to do some voices for the new Hellsing OVA.

anyway my question is...

can I help? :)

Rowhider

• View Profile
    • http://www.freazer.com/perso/cxrag/index.htm
New People misc posts here (before you start a new thread!)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 11:43:55 AM »
you're the legendary Max Sterling? The one who designed long time ago, the First Robotech mod for FS2? :) lol
Gratz to you, I started to work on this mod 2 years ago, because I liked your mod. Yes, I think you could be useful for the campagne voices... :)

Max Sterling

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 11:32:53 PM »
Yeah, that's me. Still love to help. I can always do graphics and maps. I think my 3d modeling skills are now totally obsolete ;)

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 11:47:53 PM »
Hehe, like a bolt from the blue Max Sterling returns... :D

1.) Obsolete or not can you find/fix mesh errors on existing meshes? (main 3d priority). We got quite a few meshes now but not so many stable.

2.) I got a hold of some VO meshes and while not HTL quality, at least they are mapped correctly for the look of the unit (retail quality) I need them armed, but would like to get suitable turrets (zent style) instead of mere boxes of doom(TM).  I got a good link for a site that has pictures of the areas/parts I mean.

3.) Don't worry about things you see in the Screenie thread, many things posted are either easter eggs, or for other but related projects (anime or sci-fi). Just testing things out for fun.

4.) I'm getting back into gaming more so put this mod on the back burner mostly. I do almost nothing during the week but work and the weekend is shared by FS2, Generals ZH (Xenoforcemod - Macross/Gundam) and Anarchy Online...

5.) Have you see the new destroids? :) I'll make a gag screenie in the future with a bunch of monsters on the deck of SDF-1 and firing at a Star Destroyer broadsides, like they were turrets ("200 Gigatons my arse!")... :lol: !
"Don\'t think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

Coordinator Robotech Mod II
Coordinator FS2 Star Fleet Academy

My powers outside the Robotech section are weak. (as it should be)

Part-time fringe member of the cult of Karajorma :naughty:

Max Sterling

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 08:47:22 AM »
Um, the way I fixed mesh errors was to... well, not make them. I made all the models pretty much from scratch that I worked on. Is it like, polys facing the wrong way, like holes?  I take it the newer version of FS2 supports more polys?

Ummm... What is VO and HTL?

I did see a MAC-II yeah. You know they have no propulsion besides walking right? It looks cool though.

I was also wondering why ALL of the Veritechs now have skulls on them. That should only be for skull squadron, not all maps. And why are you doing the covered cockpits which are NOT shown in the anime series? Just wondering. Do you still have my fireworks? That was one of the hardest things I did.

:)

I guess we will figure something out, eh?

Quote from: Star Dragon;80219
Hehe, like a bolt from the blue Max Sterling returns... :D

1.) Obsolete or not can you find/fix mesh errors on existing meshes? (main 3d priority). We got quite a few meshes now but not so many stable.

2.) I got a hold of some VO meshes and while not HTL quality, at least they are mapped correctly for the look of the unit (retail quality) I need them armed, but would like to get suitable turrets (zent style) instead of mere boxes of doom(TM).  I got a good link for a site that has pictures of the areas/parts I mean.

3.) Don't worry about things you see in the Screenie thread, many things posted are either easter eggs, or for other but related projects (anime or sci-fi). Just testing things out for fun.

4.) I'm getting back into gaming more so put this mod on the back burner mostly. I do almost nothing during the week but work and the weekend is shared by FS2, Generals ZH (Xenoforcemod - Macross/Gundam) and Anarchy Online...

5.) Have you see the new destroids? :) I'll make a gag screenie in the future with a bunch of monsters on the deck of SDF-1 and firing at a Star Destroyer broadsides, like they were turrets ("200 Gigatons my arse!")... :lol: !

Rowhider

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 09:43:35 AM »
For the Skull: in the Macoss serie, just Skull One have one, in the DYRL movie: all Skull Squadron Valkyries.

I've some models with polycount upper than 10K, but you need PCS2.0 (beta) to convert them in POF. Modelview(HighPolys released) and PCS1.3 crash when you try to convert with.

You need FS2_Open_3.6.9 and I believe the Media_vp Zeta 3.6.8  (easier to get the Zpack)

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,39905.0.html
(Go there for the last build)

crazyrobban

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 09:06:50 AM »
Hey guys.

I played the first Robotech mod years ago, and I can admit I wasn't all that impressed. But I felt that it had potential! And now I found this mod.

And being the Robotech fan that I am, I'd cry if this mod died!

Keep up the good work!

Turambar

• Hand of God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 09:58:00 PM »
if you really, really, absolutely want this mod to live, the best path is to learn to model, UV, texture, or code (really, just pick 2) and start doing stuff on your own.

nothing attracts activity like activity.

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 06:18:57 PM »
I modified the main sticky to reflect nomore "are you dead" posts,,,

Welcome aboard though. (just trying to cut down on unnecessary threads, the ones we have should cover everthing for the mod's purposes..)
"Don\'t think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

Rowhider

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 09:13:16 AM »
My opinion is that the mod is too big for a small team :confused1
Personnaly, I don't have the time to work on 2 or 3 hours per day...
I think we should release a demo with a small campaign about Macross: we have all main ships, voices, ANI of the first Max Sterling's mod.
It would be the best way to recruit more members.

crazyrobban

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 09:57:01 AM »
Coding is really not my thing.

I'm a modeller, and I worked for a while as an administrator and modeller for the "Void" mod for oblivion. I mainly use 3D Studio Max, but transferring to another program wont be a problem since all 3D design apps are more or less the same.

Is 3Ds max effecient for freespace modelling?

I have this thing about never being able to finnish what I start though. >_<

RogueAngyl

• Spittin into the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 04:41:22 PM »
As far as coding goes, what is used to code?  I'm in the process of sort of learning C++ for another mod project I'm working on/heading up at the moment.  If I ever get a handle on it I might be able to do some work here.

(I guess this should be in a general FSOpen thread or something...)

crazyrobban

• View Profile
Just a thought
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 09:45:23 AM »
Are you guys trying this in mp?

Why not put up a hamachi.server for all the devs and beta the game together?
Freespace 2 does have mp support right? O_o

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 01:24:17 AM »
No Problem RA (we can keep these types of posts in this thread - or I can move future ones HERE).

Crazy - No coding is planned, the majority of the goal and content is posted in the stickies. Anything beyond that is simply not in the scope of the mod.

IF however 3.7 is completed, I will be using that in the future. It will no doubt have features pioneered by BTRL and Starfox (not everything , but I am sure there will be some features carried over).

Multi-player will be looked at in the future, but for now the SP Campaign is priority.

Rowhider - Even though it is a TC, it is NOT beyond the capabilities of a "small mod team". I've certainly had the commitment and time invested to say confidently if the skills were available the MACROSS Campaign part would have been done by now.

However, like most mods, this one has rarely had the ratio of time/talent to continue to progress in every aspect equally on any front (chapter).

Feel free to release the ships you made as a RT Mod, but please keep in mind This Project is 2.0. Nothing wrong with healthy competition, but unfortunately you will run into the same obstacles I have.

I am patient and quite proud of the progress that has been made.
(From the Dev side, people don't know the physical content has more than TRIPLED, and many of the original ships replaced.)

I also constantly make new contacts or follow up on old ones. AA for example is reworking all his earlier REF ships. Hopefully We will be able to get a hold of those as well.

MP might make more Fighters/battroids in the future (I just sent him the Show art book with extra large picture references). For the extra stuff.

Although for now I am back "on hiatus" I still do other things that push overall development forward, I just don't obsess over it all the time. It's too easy to get burned out, I've dealt with years of frustration and it would be very easy to just give up but I'm a very stubborn person.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 04:23:43 AM by Star Dragon »

Rowhider

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 09:40:55 AM »
http://bt.shinsen-subs.org/%5BShinsen-subs%5D_Macross_Frontier_-_01_%5BCFBF308E%5D.avi.torrent

Torrent link for the first episode of the new Macross Frontier saga :nod: