Author Topic: Valkyrie pics (warning spoilers for HERO)  (Read 17676 times)

StarSlayer

• Here comes the Fuzz
    • View Profile
Valkyrie pics (warning spoilers for HERO)
« Reply #120 on: December 03, 2006, 06:13:54 AM »
um maybe i just have trouble reading but the dossier says he was on ATL, Coloumbia, Valk, then Galactica why is thier questions about the timeline? Do we know what the current date is in the series? I dont quite recall it ever being mentioned.  He screws the pooch three years ago commanding Valkyrie and he gets stuck on Galactica in 21348.  That gives him around 2 years to settle in on Galactica before the big nuke-a-thon.

EDIT> Belay that,  if we key his mustering out to be the same year as armistice then it should have been 213154 at the time of the nuke-a-ton and 6 years after he took command of Galactica.  Of course if Husker hung on to service for three years post armisitce then the timeline would be golden :P
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 06:22:30 AM by StarSlayer »
"Exodus from Genesis"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dukeman42

• The voice in your head
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 03, 2006, 06:23:02 AM »
Quote from: Dukeman42;49785

http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Image:Dossier.png

H5/21290 Birth of William Adama
    D6/21311 First commission, Battlestar Galactica, fighter squadron
    E4/21312 Commendation for shooting down Cylon fighter in first combat mission.
    D5/21314 Mustered out of service post-armistice
    R6/21317 Served as Deck Hand in merchant fleet and as common [] aboard inter-colony tramp freighters
    D1/21331 Recomissioned to Fleet
    D6/21337 Major: Battlestar Atlantia
    R8/21341 Executive Officer: Battlestar Columbia
    C2/21345 Commander: Battlestar Valkyrie
    C2/21348 Commander: Battlestar Galactica

At the time of the mini, the Cylons had not been seen in 'over 40 years,' not since the armistice.  if the armistice was in 21314 (if Adama shot down a Raiter in 21312, then the armistice likely occured no earlier than 21313), then at the very least the time in the miniseries was 21354.  Bulldog was captured about a year before the holocaust (21354), so the time when Bulldog returned was sometime in or around 21357.

In light of this information, that means that when Adama was supposedly commanding Valkyrie for the covert mission in 21353, the dossier shown in the show claims he was already commanding Galactica at that point.  That information, coupled with Adama's request to 'use his own people' indicates discretionary command of Valkyrie on detached covert duty.

Simple answer: writers and props screwed up the dates; but now it is up to us to rationalize the discrepencies, and put the pieces together as understandably as we can.

StarSlayer

• Here comes the Fuzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 03, 2006, 06:55:49 AM »
You are correct sir! well ill just file that away in the "things ignore for love of bsg" folder right next to the VIIs having a non funtioning third gun ;)  Though im thinking its sad that someone originally took the time to do the math and spot the discrepency in the first place
"Exodus from Genesis"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dukeman42

• The voice in your head
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 03, 2006, 07:06:52 AM »
Quote from: StarSlayer;49947
Though im thinking its sad that someone originally took the time to do the math and spot the discrepency in the first place

thank goodness it wasn't me...you can thank some particularly bored and unforgiving individuals over at firstones.com for the cue to this;)  Some of them are considering no longer watching the show because of the 'rubbish' of the past four episodes (I know, I don't get it either), which is no skin off my back, though I feel sorry for them that they can't look past the inevitable failings of human writers, directors and actors and enjoy the character development and dramatic entertainment.  And it gets a little annoying to join the discussions over there, just waiting for the negative bitching by these people who have 'lost faith.'  Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but when they say 'the show is dead to me know; I'm going to keep watching to see how it ends, but it sucks' every other post, it gets old;)

lazarus3d

• CookieMonster
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 03, 2006, 07:25:57 AM »
Quote from: Josh_88;49934
not if the valk was specifically suited for the mission being newer then the galactica. it makes sense to me. adama had the experience for the mission, but galactica didnt have what was needed to complete it. it was very clear in the show that the reason he went to the valk was because of that mission, and he clearly said he wanted his men, in reference to bulldog, and tigh as well.... and after screwing the mission up, he gets sent back to galactica to retire gracefully on the "bucket" while he and the ship rot away as a flying museum... the equivalent to being sent to some remote military base in BFE as a punishment, like we see in movies, were failures get shipped off to the coldest crappiest place the military can find....  it seems logical, plus, the admiralty may have had a lot more going on then we (through adama's memories) know about.

He wanted his men to run ops related to the stealth star, rather than bringing in a seperate unit to run stealth star ops from his ship.
If there is one thing upon this earth that mankind love and admire better than another, it is a brave man, -- it is the man who dares to look the devil in the face and tell him he is a devil. -- James A. Garfield

Dukeman42

• The voice in your head
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 03, 2006, 07:53:29 AM »
Quote from: lazarus3d;49951
He wanted his men to run ops related to the stealth star, rather than bringing in a seperate unit to run stealth star ops from his ship.

Open to interpretation...as has been clearly proven here.  It's not necessarily that he's wrong, or you're right...the actor, director and writers are the only ones who know exactly what it means.  

I respect your 'interpretation,' but I still believe that the 'specops detachment' interpretation holds greater credence, especially in light of the timeline, which, even if it was 'off' or poorly thought out, should be taken into account, as it was shown in the show, and is therefore canon.

In the canon timeline (written and spoken), Adama had been commanding Galactica at the time of the stealth mission aboard Valkyrie.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 07:57:37 AM by Dukeman42 »

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 03, 2006, 11:08:20 AM »
Quote from: Dukeman42;49948
thank goodness it wasn't me...you can thank some particularly bored and unforgiving individuals over at firstones.com for the cue to this;)  Some of them are considering no longer watching the show because of the 'rubbish' of the past four episodes (I know, I don't get it either), which is no skin off my back, though I feel sorry for them that they can't look past the inevitable failings of human writers, directors and actors and enjoy the character development and dramatic entertainment.

Okay before I get into this I'm going to say that I love B5 to death and think that pretty much every single modern sci-fi show that doesn't push the reset button at the end of each episode owes it an enormous debt of gratitude for paving the way.

However where in hell do B5 fanbois get off complaining about continuity errors between the pilot episode and the series? Just between The Gathering and And the Sky Full of Stars we see the laser guns disappear, the first officer vanish without ever being mentioned again and Delenn get radical facial reconstruction.

Maybe it's just that I've watched B5 more but I've spotted far more continuity errors there than in BSG.

Snagger

• View Profile
    • http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk
« Reply #127 on: December 03, 2006, 09:17:23 PM »
Quote from: Dukeman42;49955
Open to interpretation...as has been clearly proven here.  It's not necessarily that he's wrong, or you're right...the actor, director and writers are the only ones who know exactly what it means.  

I respect your 'interpretation,' but I still believe that the 'specops detachment' interpretation holds greater credence, especially in light of the timeline, which, even if it was 'off' or poorly thought out, should be taken into account, as it was shown in the show, and is therefore canon.

In the canon timeline (written and spoken), Adama had been commanding Galactica at the time of the stealth mission aboard Valkyrie.

It was no detatchment - Adama and Tigh were posted to Galactica as a punishment.  Tigh said so when Bulldog asks him what happened to the Valkyrie.  The dates in the dossier are just a cockup.
something I do understand;)  : http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk