Author Topic: New and exited  (Read 3638 times)

Telander

• View Profile
New and exited
« on: December 02, 2007, 06:08:04 PM »
Dear Group

Please excuse the comple novice-ness of this thread, but I'm completely new to the Freespace Mod scene. I downloaded BTRL Demo and patch yesterday and was very imressed. I played Freespace 2 years ago, an since then I haven't found a space-based game that will either a) work with my computer without struggling (I'm running XP home sp2 Pentium 4 2.4ghz with a gforce 4200ti card) or b) that is as much fun as FS2. My questions are:

1) Is the revamped FS2 engine exploited in other fuller MOdS (other than BTRL)
2) If not what is the best mod for me to download and how can I get it (I've scanned around this forum and notice a Robotech game, is this as sweet as BTRL? Would it run better on my comp?

3) is there a mod which will run particularly well with my set-up?
4) What is the best/most reasonably priced joystick with roll function as well as pitch etc.?

5)How do I play online?

Thanks so very much in anticipation of a response.

Telander

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
New and exited
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 07:05:17 PM »
HLP carries a lot of the other released mods (both for retail and SCP versions of FS2).

My personal recommendations are as follows :-

Install FS2 (if you still have it) and then use Turey's installer from here to add the SCP additions to Freespace. It will also allow you to pick and choose some of the better FS2 campaigns to play as well.

If you're after mods HLP also has The Babylon Project and Wing Commander Saga for you to play. The former is currently in the process of being updated to the final version so I'd recommend the latter for now to keep you going until TBP does release the next version. Saga has quite a few missions to play but is still in the demo/Chapter 1 stage. TBP is pretty much done as far as modding is concerned although there are more campaigns to come.

Check the FS2NetD forum here on Game-Warden for details on how to play online.

Telander

• View Profile
New and exited
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 07:23:59 PM »
Thanks Karajorma

Sorry to bug you again, I don't have the original FS2 game anymore (is it abandonware? can I download it?, and are the MODS you suggest using the re-vamped engine like BTRL?

Thanks

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
New and exited
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 07:48:56 PM »
Turey's installer will install the whole game for you. But if you had the CDs you could save downloading a gig and half :)

And yes, the game has been updated to use the SCP too. :)

Telander

• View Profile
New and exited
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 07:57:29 PM »
Thanks Karajorma!

Telander

• View Profile
The fun begins
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 11:23:23 PM »
Ok, I've downloaded the game via Turey's installer, begun playing, I've ordered a nice lil joystick of e-bay, just one question, which MODS have the glide function (I like this function, it's groovy)