Author Topic: It's the Patch!  (Read 79701 times)

Turey

• Diaspora Speed Junkie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fsoinstaller.com
It's the Patch!
« Reply #135 on: November 08, 2007, 01:17:51 AM »
Quote from: P-90_177;83523
I tried downloading the patch using the updater but my university firewall blocks it.....is there anyway of getting the patch without the update installer?

Put everything in this folder in your demo folder:
http://www.fsoinstaller.com/files/btrl/

Note that this method should not be used unless you're unable to use the updater, as the updater balances load between multiple servers, whereas just grabbing it manually puts all the load on my server. If my server goes down, GW is likely to follow, as it probably wouldn't be able to handle the load by itself.
"fighting for the survival of humanity is supposed to be hard." - Josh_88
Get FreeSpace Open here.
what kind of fucking 11 y.o. wannabe leet hacker made that unbelievable stupid, kiddish, awkward and whatsoever socalled \'updater\', which made me laugh at first and then cry and cry .. and now I wish to kill someone\'s parents [and then kill myself, ofcourse]. Any clue?
        Hello! That would be me.

P-90_177

• Viper Jock
    • View Profile
It's the Patch!
« Reply #136 on: November 08, 2007, 01:37:12 AM »
thanks turey that's great. i just hope it works.

Axem

• MRRFR MRRF!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sectorgame.com/axem/
It's the Patch!
« Reply #137 on: November 08, 2007, 02:01:15 AM »
Quote from: KaraBulut;83300
I mean if you shoot all the firendlies in Boal they turn on you and if you shoot all of them down they treat you as a traitor and you cant play the level

thats not in Ap

Isn't that supposed to happen...?

Quote from: KaraBulut;83300
EDIT:

Axem just play the level yourself you would definetley run in to them yourself
the waypoint issues are if you follow Gauntlet and Chum to complete the bonus mission
when the encounter an asteroid they a)crash in to it and start looping b)shoot it and start looping
c)you shoot it and they try to dodge your fire and start looping

Also after you have done the bonus mission if chum and gavel didnt die you continue to meet the 2nd wawe of cylons
sometimes gauntlet starts crashing to the big asteroid instead of going between them and it takes long 10 minutes for
her to reach the cylon area by crashing to the rocks (not to mention if she just goes in to the rock chum tires to follow than crash and die)

I did play it and I've seen no difference then during my playtesting sessions.

In any case I think I have a partial explanation for you. Bad AI (the newest scapegoat for FS2). The AI is quite poor, I've seen Vipers head right into asteroids without any motion to fire or dodge it. I can't do anything about that.

I've also found that if the AI gets off track from a waypoint, it looks like it tries to go back to its previous waypoint node before it continues with the rest of its journey.

And of course, the AI doesn't seem to notice there's a giant asteroid in the area. I've seen both friendly Vipers and enemy Raiders crash into it regularly.

In summary, we need an AI coder.

Tnx.

KaraBulut

• Weird Stuff Doing Person
    • View Profile
It's the Patch!
« Reply #138 on: November 08, 2007, 05:20:00 AM »
Quote from: Axem;83535
Isn't that supposed to happen...?

I mean the traitor thing in Boal don't happen you just continue

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
It's the Patch!
« Reply #139 on: November 08, 2007, 10:10:08 AM »
I just checked. If you shoot your own side down the other players do turn hostile and try to kill you.

You don't go to the traitor debriefing like you do in BoaL though.

Rainman

• Ace Raider Conscience
    • View Profile
The AI Problem
« Reply #140 on: November 08, 2007, 05:16:10 PM »
Hey I noticed something that is driving me crazy about the AI. I play a lot of coop games, and while I am flying around trying to get 3 vipers off my six while shooting a fourth, my wingmen sit completely as if they've been disabled. This happens not only with Green but Red squadron too. After repetitive games, I noticed that The AI do not spawn into the game with orders and have their engines off, so they just sit there after they die. when the game starts they are fine, but after that every time one dies i need to give it the order to attack. It happens with both cylons and colonials. I am constantly pressing c-3-9 to order them to attack, but if I don't I usually find out that I have an audience watching me get raped by 20 vipers. Once they get the order, they all run around gunning like aces but before that, they're brain dead. I have AI set to Insane and AI is set to get orders from anyone (no just me or team leader). This happens on gauntlet missions, I am not sure about the rest.

Another thing I have noticed is sometimes if I am flying against vipers/raiders (same situation), they sit still too. The reason is different though, as each of my wingmen has a whole wing or two of the enemies chasing them (so it is usually at the end of the game, where its 3 or less friendlies left alive) and the extra wings are sitting in the middle of the map, completely brain dead. Whenever I am playing with a friend I always have to tell him to keep giving orders whenever he starts losing wingmen, so they spawn with orders.

As a result of this, the AI does something really intelligent. It places "brain dead" vipers/raiders as a secondary priority, therefore going for me while leaving two whole wings of friendlies there. Once I give them the order to attack, the enemy AI will immediately stop ganging up on me and start gunning for everyone.

It's really weird, can anyone else confirm this? I haven't played with the AI setting orders (so the normal is to set the AI to listen to anyone), and this problem could exist with other AI levels and on other maps. Happens constantly also when I am playing Coop alone. Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 10:32:02 PM by Rainman »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rainman

• Ace Raider Conscience
    • View Profile
The FTL
« Reply #141 on: November 09, 2007, 11:01:21 AM »
Another quick thing is the message I get when I activate my FTL. It says Subspace drive engaged or something, is there a way to change that to FTL drive engaged? I know its tiny but it I am always so hooked on this great game that when the message pops up I remember that its based on freespace... I think its the only thing left out of place, so if we take it out then the game is completely BSG.
The other point is that when I turn on and spool up my FTL drive, I can't be shot! I see streams of bullets coming at me but they go right through. This can be used to cheat since the FTL can be aborted, so I can keep turning it on and then aborting to get to hard to reach areas. I noticed that you can't maneuver while the FTL is spooling up too, is there a possible fix to the FTL problem.
Its amazing when incorporated in missions through, since it acts up immediately and you find yourself in a different place.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
It's the Patch!
« Reply #142 on: November 09, 2007, 04:01:34 PM »
The behaviour of the FTL drive is by and large hard coded.

It's something I'd like to see improved though.

Dr.Danger

• View Profile
Mac Patch
« Reply #143 on: November 09, 2007, 09:37:16 PM »
Any updates you can throw us in regards to the mac patch status? All this talk got me checking for updates here daily! Again, super slick game you got here... can't wait until I upgrade this 4yr old mac to actually play the campaign. Raider gauntlet ftw!

karajorma

• He is watching YOU
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
It's the Patch!
« Reply #144 on: November 10, 2007, 12:45:53 AM »
We're still waiting on the builds from Taylor AFAIK.

Ben>

• French Toaster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bens-world.org
It's the Patch!
« Reply #145 on: November 10, 2007, 12:27:45 PM »
Sorry guys, don't wanna read the whole conversation, I can't really catch up with this as long as I'm french
.. so looks like there's a new anti-traitor patch ? Why the hell doesn't it updates through the game ?

VatTas

• View Profile
It's the Patch!
« Reply #146 on: November 14, 2007, 03:04:04 PM »
Quote from: Turey;80926
What's in the Patch:
Upgraded engine, ..... as well as additive weapon velocity (your shots inherit your ship's velocity)

Actually this last statement is not true. At first I noticed something odd in a way bullets fly when using thrusters. So I tested it:
If you hang in space without moving and shoot few rounds, these goes where croshair points.
Then, if you start using left thruster (your ship moves to the right at constant speed) and fire, bullets arent flying the way the croshair points as it is supposed to be if they inherit ship's velocity.

E.g. position you ship in a way that your crosshair will pass distant asteroid if you begin moving sideways. Start moving (using only thrusters) and then fire just before your crosshair leaves the asteroid. After few seconds your shots hit the asteroid. But if bullets inherited you ship's velocity, you shots must have missed the asteroid (bullets must have traveled the same distance sideways as you by the time they reach the asteroid).

Or maybe something is wrong with my installation? But I have new glide and other things... :confused:

KaraBulut

• Weird Stuff Doing Person
    • View Profile
It's the Patch!
« Reply #147 on: November 14, 2007, 06:41:22 PM »
I didnt get what you mean there but before the patch
when you target the enemy if you aim and shoot the circle front of the enemy
your shots would hit %70 after the patch it is down to %30 so it requires more skill

Angelus

• Death Dealer
    • View Profile
It's the Patch!
« Reply #148 on: November 14, 2007, 06:50:09 PM »
Quote from: VatTas;84182
Actually this last statement is not true. At first I noticed something odd in a way bullets fly when using thrusters. So I tested it:
If you hang in space without moving and shoot few rounds, these goes where croshair points.
Then, if you start using left thruster (your ship moves to the right at constant speed) and fire, bullets arent flying the way the croshair points as it is supposed to be if they inherit ship's velocity.

E.g. position you ship in a way that your crosshair will pass distant asteroid if you begin moving sideways. Start moving (using only thrusters) and then fire just before your crosshair leaves the asteroid. After few seconds your shots hit the asteroid. But if bullets inherited you ship's velocity, you shots must have missed the asteroid (bullets must have traveled the same distance sideways as you by the time they reach the asteroid).

Or maybe something is wrong with my installation? But I have new glide and other things... :confused:

Nothings wrong, 'cause inherit your ships velocity means :

the faster you fly, the faster the bullets are.

If you move sideways like you described, the KEWs should be seen as a arc, has to do something with physics...

My english sucks, Herra help!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 07:12:09 PM by Angelus »

Turey

• Diaspora Speed Junkie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fsoinstaller.com
It's the Patch!
« Reply #149 on: November 14, 2007, 07:25:33 PM »
The crosshair adjusts for your movement. As such, if you fire just before your crosshair leaves the asteroid, it should hit.
"fighting for the survival of humanity is supposed to be hard." - Josh_88
Get FreeSpace Open here.
what kind of fucking 11 y.o. wannabe leet hacker made that unbelievable stupid, kiddish, awkward and whatsoever socalled \'updater\', which made me laugh at first and then cry and cry .. and now I wish to kill someone\'s parents [and then kill myself, ofcourse]. Any clue?
        Hello! That would be me.