Author Topic: Razor Webisodes Preview  (Read 39240 times)

Sharrpe95

• Commander
    • View Profile
Razor Webisodes Preview
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2007, 05:34:07 AM »
From what I saw, all of the equipment looks exactly the same as the 2nd Cylon "War." But hey, its a tv series and they have a budget.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cl1nt

• Cheesy Oneliner, B1tches.
    • View Profile
    • http://frakturedreality.ismywebsite.com
Razor Webisodes Preview
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2007, 06:45:16 AM »
Well it IS the same battlestar. and they DO use the MKII still. So I can see why the gear would be the same/similiar.

The raptor doesn't have any Mk numbering system on it, so it might be the same :(
Or something.

There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality

Josh_88

• Aerelon Viper Pilot
    • View Profile
Razor Webisodes Preview
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2007, 12:36:01 PM »
well, many things don't have a Mk number, though have different variants as they are upgraded, so It would be nice if somehow they changed it. it would just be one of those little touches again that say "hey, we noticed too, and thought we'd change things up a bit to give this an earlier feel"
Cl1nt: I for one, welcome our Spork overlords

"Sometimes you gotta roll the hard six"

Sharrpe95

• Commander
    • View Profile
Razor Webisodes Preview
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2007, 03:06:24 AM »
I wasn't talking about the galactica or the vipers... I was talking about their uniforms/helmets/rooms/stuff. It all looks exactly the same. Tell me: did stuff ~40 years ago look exactly like it does today?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nuke

• Slacker
    • View Profile
    • http://www.game-warden.com/nukemod-cos/
Razor Webisodes Preview
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2007, 03:56:31 AM »
the reason galactica survived the attack on the colonies was that the thing was ancient. it probibly had a histroy of somesuch like say the hms hood or the uss enterprise and thus was kept around for awhile to keep the tradition alive. then you have the whole anti-technology ideology from when the galactica was in its prime, and finally adama himself whos probibly resisted every technological upgrade to the galactica one he got command of the vessel.

also you must consider that just because we happen to be in the middle of a technological explosion, doesnt mean they would be in one too. they obviously were in one when the were making machines which would be cylons some day. when they went all berzerk and spooked everyone into thinking that technology was bad, they took a step back and began to feer technology sorta like the butlerian jihad of the dune universe. so not too long before the colonies start getting nuked theyre just starting to bring back technology. which in turn helped the cylons with their little attack :D
Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of the human mind

Enki

• View Profile
Razor Webisodes Preview
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2007, 05:19:59 AM »
Quote from: Sharrpe95;81076
I wasn't talking about the galactica or the vipers... I was talking about their uniforms/helmets/rooms/stuff. It all looks exactly the same. Tell me: did stuff ~40 years ago look exactly like it does today?

On ships that old, yes. New Jersey, Midway, Saratoga and Independence are testament to that.  Even more interesting along those lines are than many of the newer Nimitz class carriers have stateroom racks/mattresses from decommissioned older carriers.  So even in a scene like that a new ship would look EXACTLY like an old one.

Flight gear tends to look the same over significant timeframes too.  A trained eye can pick up the evolutions, but most folks couldn't tell the difference between an A-4 early 60's pilot or a late '90s F-18 pilot, almost 40 years apart.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 05:26:01 AM by Enki »

Sharrpe95

• Commander
    • View Profile
Razor Webisodes Preview
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2007, 05:31:57 AM »
Nice points all of you, especially about how ships would look, I agree with you about that.

It is sad how none of these thoughts came into mind when they were making these webisodes (although how would we know? :) ) I bet one word came to mind when they were making them: Budget.

Kinda stinks how even the uniforms are the same, thats what I was really getting at (material things that are not bolted down to the ship). It would have been kind of interesting if they changed something, but then again I doubt these webisodes have much room to work with.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nuke

• Slacker
    • View Profile
    • http://www.game-warden.com/nukemod-cos/
Razor Webisodes Preview
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2007, 09:26:46 AM »
militarys do tend to be fairly conservative, i dont think youd want to update uniforms as frequently as they do in the trek universe. the oldskoolness of everything is one of the reasons i like the show :D
Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of the human mind

Enki

• View Profile
Razor Webisodes Preview
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2007, 04:12:04 PM »
Think about the need for appearance changes in everything.  Today, here on Earth, appearances change because of basic advances in functional technology.  When the technological changes are big enough, the style will get updated with the incoporation of the new materials.

Now think of the BSG universe. How many changes in basic uniform style materials or stateroom sleeping technologies are left once your society has had FTL jumps for more than a few thousand years?

Ship & weapons system configurations will still tend to change in the short term because both sides are looking for a way to blow things up spectacularly and getting around current and projected near term defenses.  But those changes don't need to change basic internal non-combat system layouts or appearances.

Snagger

• View Profile
    • http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk
Razor Webisodes Preview
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2007, 06:20:02 PM »

RAF and RN uniforms are unchanged in 90 years.  British Army dres uniforms are unchanged for well in excess of a century.  British military flying suits have been unchanged in 40 years, and the Life Support Jackets and flying helmets look very similar (the oxygen masks haven't changed design in at least 30 years, and just use a green coloured rubber seal instead of the 1970's black rubber.
something I do understand;)  : http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk

Crixx

• Give the order.
    • View Profile
Razor Webisodes Preview
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2007, 07:01:03 PM »
Differences in modern military equipment come from an extremely rapid change in technology through the last century or so.

BSG's technology only really needed to change once in the recent history of the colonies, and that was to revert the use of computer systems.

Snagger

• View Profile
    • http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk
Razor Webisodes Preview
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2007, 07:51:29 PM »
Further to my comments about uniforms and flying kit, British Forces still use the same buildings that were constructed in the 1930s, during the military build up to WWII.  Many older buildings from the WWI era and before are still in use, like the Officer Training Colleges at Sandhurst, Dartmouth and Cranwell.

There are many new buildings too, but they still have hinged rectangular doors, vertical walls with 90o corners, glass windows, four legged tables and chairs, rocker switches and wall sockets for electrics...  shelves are still horizontal, and books still have pages, pens andstaionary remain unchanged.  There wil sometimes be pieces of modern equipment, like a TV or computer, but by and large, most rooms would not be date destinguishable in a photo.
something I do understand;)  : http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk

Sharrpe95

• Commander
    • View Profile
Razor Webisodes Preview
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2007, 07:54:25 PM »
http://cache.eb.com/eb/image?id=47980&rendTypeId=4 circa 1940s (1944)

http://www.f16viper.org/CaptMikeDonnelly.jpg circa 1990s F16 fighter pilot

I understand that the technology in Galactica has advanced to the point where it would be... pointless to update things that are already functional and working.

BTW, too lazy to do the research now, but Snagger where the heck did you get your info on British uniforms being unchanged? I'm not an expert in this field but I'm pretty sure that the RAF and British military uniforms have changed in a century of time...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Enki

• View Profile
Razor Webisodes Preview
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2007, 08:18:50 PM »
Are you trying to make a point of 40 years duration by choosing pics with nearly 60 years of difference?  Doesn't work well at all, especially with the advent of the jet age in between.

How about comparing your latter day F-16 beauty queen's gear against a an aviators only 40 years past:  USN/USMC Vietnam era flight gear

Pretty buoy USAF guy from before :lol:

I see diffeences right off the bat, Snagger probably will see them too.  A lot of folks will have to look a harder and longer.  The kind of looks a motion panning shot wouldn't afford on a TV set.   Also realize that USAF guy is wearing overland gear.  Sure he has flotation just in case he lands in a lake, but none of the specialized over-ocean gear to go along with the basic flotation.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 08:22:18 PM by Enki »

Sharrpe95

• Commander
    • View Profile
Razor Webisodes Preview
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2007, 08:24:37 PM »
Yeah thats gets back to my point of the budget playing a huge role.

The advent of the "jet age" started just a few years after the first pic (some could saying the earliest beginnings/research was done in the time period of my first picture) so I don't exactly get you're point of it not working. If anything there would be serious change every few years in that time period rather than just one change or a couple; which brings up your next point of comparing Vietnam and the early 1990's with "my beauty queen's gear" and a Vietnam era fighter pilot who are fighting in two separate climates.

O and btw that "beauty queen" died of Lou Gehrig's disease in the late 1990s, so I don't think hes looking too pretty at this point.

O yeah and how is a 46-48 year difference equal to 60 years?? :)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 08:29:28 PM by Sharrpe95 »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]