Author Topic: Robotech at the big screen  (Read 27549 times)

Rowhider

• View Profile
    • http://www.freazer.com/perso/cxrag/index.htm
Robotech at the big screen
« on: September 27, 2007, 05:57:38 AM »
Maybe you don't know this news:
I hope than the movie won't be only robots battle...:doubtful:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i1f2de64a1d24bd5585bf89b0691d2011

TORONTO -- After slipping on a mask for Spider-Man, Tobey Maguire might be slipping into a giant robot for "Robotech."

After a lengthy negotiation, Warner Bros. Pictures has picked up the rights to bring anime classic "Robotech," which featured giant robots known as mechas, to the big screen. Maguire is producing through his Maguire Entertainment banner and is eyeing the lead role in what the studio plans on being a tentpole sci-fi franchise.

"We are very excited to bring 'Robotech' to the big screen," Maguire said. "There is a rich mythology that will be a great foundation for a sophisticated, smart and entertaining film."

Drew Crevello also is producing through his Supercool Hollywood BigTime Prods. Craig Zahler ("The Brigands of Rattleborge") has been tapped to write the screenplay.

"Robotech" was a cartoon series during the 1980s from Harmony Gold USA and Tatsunoko Prods. It was re-edited and re-dialogued to combine three Japanese anime series to give the producers enough episodes to air as a daily syndicated series.

A sprawling sci-fi epic, "Robotech" takes place at a time when Earth has developed giant robots from the technology on an alien spacecraft that crashed on a South Pacific isle. Mankind is forced to use the technology to fend off three successive waves of alien invasions. The first invasion concerns a battle with a race of giant warriors who seek to retrieve their flagship's energy source known as "protoculture," and the planet's survival ends up in the hands of two young pilots.

Frank Agrama of rights-holder Harmony Gold will exec produce; Jason Netter will serve in a producer capacity.

Matthew Reilly brought the project to Warners and is overseeing. Daniel Shafer brought the project to Maguire and will shepherd for the company.

The success of DreamWorks/Paramount's $311 million-grossing "Transformers" has other studios looking to assemble a giant robot movie of their own. Last month, Regency picked up 1980s Japanese anime series "Voltron," with Mark Gordon attached to produce. Ironically, Warners had the first giant robot movie back in 1999: Brad Bird's animated feature "The Iron Giant."

Maguire is repped by CAA, Management 360 and attorney Steve Warren. Zahler is repped by UTA and attorney P.J. Shapiro.

Max Sterling

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 06:55:01 AM »
Well I missed the Speed Racer film, but I might be in LA just in time to be in the Robotech movie! :)

Rowhider

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 09:33:18 AM »
With a little bit of chance, you could get the role of Max Sterling :naughty: :lol:
But Just one movie for Macross... Too short in one Movie, I don't think they will adapt DYRL. :confused1

I won't a new "Transformers" movie, the Macross scenari is so good... :(

RogueAngyl

• Spittin into the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 12:34:29 PM »
All I can say is that the thought of Hollywood getting their sticky little fingers into this makes me ill.

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 01:22:51 PM »
They will never get DYRL unless they pay (I think it's Big West now) a shit ton of money...FACT!

I think it's all good except for ONE thing, NO TOBY AS RICK, get A real 15yo!!!

Cast unknowns as the leads, half the cast are teenagers who grew up around the ship after all!

There are onyl a handful of Adult characters:

I suggest: Halley Berry as Claudia (strong, thin, sexy but maturnal-like Black woman)

Sean Connery as Henry J Gloval (but make him grown a full beard and darken it, he also needs a rug...) I think he could pull it off! Ramius - Hunt for Red October...

Jack Black is kinda OLD but if you can find a younger version of him he would be PERFECT for Ben Dixon!!!

Max and Roy will be SUPER HARD to cast!!!

For the Bridge Bunnies: Amanda Bynes (Vanessa), Alexis Bledel (Sammy), Lacy Chabert (Kim) :D

For Lisa POSSIBLE Rebbeca Romajin Stamos?

That's all I got for now...
"Don\'t think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

Coordinator Robotech Mod II
Coordinator FS2 Star Fleet Academy

My powers outside the Robotech section are weak. (as it should be)

Part-time fringe member of the cult of Karajorma :naughty:

Rowhider

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 02:59:25 PM »
I agree with you: Roy Fokker is one of the most charismatic character, very hard to find a good actor closed to him. :nod:
(Good choice for the women :pimp: )

Unknown Target

• Bitchslapped by BTRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 03:36:24 PM »
Oh god no, not Toby...I hate that guy, he's such a wuss in all the films he's in.
If you want your bugs fixed and features added, you gotta get us coders! See the help wanted thread if you want to help out!

Max Sterling

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 07:31:48 PM »
Tobey specifically said he didn't want to do Spiderman again cause he is tired of playin a Wuss. :)

Im putting my feelers out to see if I can get in contact with folks for the Voltron and Robotech films. :)

Markho

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 08:32:04 AM »
Glovel - Rade Serbedzija
Claudia - Halley Berry
Exedore - William Defoe
Breetai - Arnold Schwarzeneger
Roy - Brad Pitt
Rick - Tobey (since it's inevitable)
Lisa - Jennifer Aniston
Ben - ?
Max - Hayden Christensen
(some of these are maybe too old, but...)

Max Sterling

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 06:16:58 PM »
So far IMDB Pro lists the production as 2010 :)

Star Dragon

• EDF Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2007, 05:22:35 PM »
Shit by then might as well wait and see who's out of Disney Channel acting for half the cast. :)

Hannah Montana as Lisa? LOL!!!
"Don\'t think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

Coordinator Robotech Mod II
Coordinator FS2 Star Fleet Academy

My powers outside the Robotech section are weak. (as it should be)

Part-time fringe member of the cult of Karajorma :naughty:

Akalabeth Angel

• VF-0 Decoy
    • View Profile
    • http://knossos.firenebula.com
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 11:41:51 PM »
Halle Berry sucks (as Storm at least). There are other black actresses out there which could do a much better job for much less money.

I don't care if Tobey's rick, as long as the movie is more enjoyable than the Spiderman movies. I've seen all three of those and have discovered that I really don't care about any of them.

In other anime news, Leonardo Dicraprio is making a two-part live action Akira (thought it's set in New York, not New Tokyo. Or is it going to be New New York???). Anyway, yeah . .. another classic will likely be ruined by hollywood.