Author Topic: Differences of Viper MkII and VII  (Read 23330 times)

Armageddon

• Eclipse Squadron (Nugget)
    • View Profile
Differences of Viper MkII and VII
« Reply #165 on: October 25, 2007, 06:00:57 PM »
ah so that why the handling is only medium? because the thrusters were more than likely toned down to stop you from turning youself into a pancake?

Josh_88

• Aerelon Viper Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 25, 2007, 06:15:27 PM »
thats why they dont give the MKVII to the nuggets in the show, at the beginning only Lee, Kara and maybe a couple other pilots were skilled enough to handle the ship. its got more power and is much harder to handle then the MkII
Cl1nt: I for one, welcome our Spork overlords

"Sometimes you gotta roll the hard six"

meleardil

• Meleardil Eressea Iluvada
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 25, 2007, 06:31:06 PM »
As far as I know, they did not remove the fly by wire...they removed Baltars's CNP, which had the cylon backdoor.
"I think it is impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves."
Speaker for the Dead

Armageddon

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 25, 2007, 07:42:06 PM »
i got this quote from the scifi site

"To eliminate this threat, the software-based "fly by wire" control systems that proved so vulnerable to Cylon interference have been removed from the remaining Mark VIIs and the systems retrofitted for manual control. However, this makes the Mark VII a handful for all but the most experienced pilots"

it clearly states that fly by wire was removed from the viper mk VII.

here is where i got it from

http://scifipedia.scifi.com/index.php/Viper_Mark_VII_%28BSG_2003%29

there is also info on other ships ;)

StarSlayer

• Here comes the Fuzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 26, 2007, 12:07:01 AM »
The MKVII and the tech page on the SciFi website probably were not designed or written by aeronautical engineers.  You can only take it so far.

For a modern fighter to not be Fly-By-Wire is an oddity in today's day and age it's pretty much standard in US aircraft.  In addition an oddly shaped airframe like the Viper would probably need Fly-By-Wire and advanced computers to have any chance in operating in atmo.
"Exodus from Genesis"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ratatosk

• VF143 Pukin Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 26, 2007, 12:17:59 AM »
Maybe the Mk VII was designed more for patrol work then combat. It would fit well with the newer battlestars like the Pegasus
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Armageddon

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 26, 2007, 10:13:53 AM »
yeah thst why it is a lot faster but turns slightly worse in my opinion.

as for the viper airframe it looks quite stable (at least the mk II does) i think that does not have fly by fire and functions well in atmo. The viper mk II seems to be made to fly in atmo on manual control whereas the mk VII is not as far as i can remember i havent heard of a mk VII been flown in atmo since the removal of fly by wire

ViP3r

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 27, 2007, 12:01:22 AM »
in fairness though the airframe of the mk7 looks more suited to atmospheric flight.It clearly has larger control surfaces.

And btw lee flew mk7 in atmosphere in maelstrom

Enki

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 27, 2007, 02:58:02 AM »
I think the both look fine for atmospheric flight.  MkVII in an F-18 kind of way and MkII in a late series A-4 kind of way.

ViP3r

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 27, 2007, 03:42:47 PM »
mkII I'd say is closer too F-4 as opposed to A-4.With that in mind I think the 40year gap to F/A - 18E superhornet (mk7) makes sense

Enki

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 27, 2007, 08:15:08 PM »
F-4 is a Mach 2.2 beast that turns "some day".  It's much faster than a Super Hornet which is about mach 1.8 top end. Phantoms are also much less maneuverable than A-4s.  One of the reasons the F-4 was only with the Blue Angels for 4 years despite being the front line fighter of it's time.  It got replaced by the far more aerobatic A-4 which was the front line light bomber.

Granted it as a little of the Phantom look to it, but an A-4M with all the crap they put on it isn't exactly svelte anymore.

Snagger

• View Profile
    • http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk
« Reply #176 on: October 28, 2007, 04:32:04 PM »
Quote from: Armageddon;82464
yeah thst why it is a lot faster but turns slightly worse in my opinion.
A given airframe will llhave a much wider radius of turn and slower turn rate at high airspeed than at low speed due to the increased momentum.  Look at fast jets - they need to pull 4g+ to turn at all when supersonic, but are very nimble at 300kts infront of the crowds.  Weight is also a big factor - fuel and weapons load creating a lot more inertia.
something I do understand;)  : http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk